Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 474477 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #2050 on: 10 February, 2017, 09:24:20 am »
It seems the less audaxing I actually do, the more interesting I find Arrivée. In this edition, I especially enjoyed Dean's Belgian write up ("frustrating chocolate box-looking tourist hell"), Graeme's Old Peculier (I'm still undecided whether the extraneous r in the heading was simply a typo or a reference to the perks of being a volunteer) and the Off-Peak Return, which seemed like a really enjoyable adventure in a homely sort of way.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2051 on: 10 February, 2017, 03:09:53 pm »
... my copy hasn't arrived yet...

No, because I haven't sent it yet.  For some reason* your renewal missed my deadline for creating the mailing list, but you are my list for a follow up mailing.  That will happen when I get a moment to stuff Arrivees into envelopes.

* delayed cheque in the post.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #2052 on: 11 February, 2017, 12:46:05 am »
Nice seeing my name on Page 8!
I only made page 12, working on page 8 and page 13 for next year.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #2053 on: 11 February, 2017, 01:53:07 am »
... my copy hasn't arrived yet...

No, because I haven't sent it yet.  For some reason* your renewal missed my deadline for creating the mailing list, but you are my list for a follow up mailing.  That will happen when I get a moment to stuff Arrivees into envelopes.

* delayed cheque in the post.

No sweat, Mike - it'll be good to get it whenever!

« Reply #2054 on: 11 February, 2017, 02:43:34 pm »
Well done Peter - another good article from yourself.

« Reply #2055 on: 11 February, 2017, 03:18:21 pm »
Mine's here now, and I'm really enjoying it.

I found Francis's piece about AUK history particularly interesting, as I've been leafing through some old copies of Coureur/Sporting Cyclist magazine, and there's an account of the 1962 PBP by Charles Horrent. I've scanned it and shared it below:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57044735/PBP%202.pdf

(hopefully the link works!)

There's an interesting coda at the end where the editor enquired about the rules under which British riders could enter - the editor was one Jock Wadley, who, Francis tells us, went on to ride PBP himself in the seventies.

« Reply #2056 on: 11 February, 2017, 03:46:38 pm »
Mine's here now, and I'm really enjoying it.

I found Francis's piece about AUK history particularly interesting, as I've been leafing through some old copies of Coureur/Sporting Cyclist magazine, and there's an account of the 1962 PBP by Charles Horrent. I've scanned it and shared it below:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57044735/PBP%202.pdf

(hopefully the link works!)

There's an interesting coda at the end where the editor enquired about the rules under which British riders could enter - the editor was one Jock Wadley, who, Francis tells us, went on to ride PBP himself in the seventies.

Jock Wadley rode in 1971. Harry Aspden, the author of that piece rode in 1975, and was a founder member of AUK.  He also rode the Paris-Harrogate in 1978. http://www.aukweb.net/results/1999/ph78.php The Sporting Cyclist article is on the Randonneurs BC site. http://www.randonneurs.bc.ca/pbp/stories/61_harry-aspden-in-sporting-cyclist.html

My Dad knew Harry through North Lancs Clarion, and introduced me to him at a Dover Fellowship meeting. Harry died in 2003. He was firmly embedded in the Clarion. http://trivelox.cambrianmoons.com/clarion-club-family.htm

There are some of his papers at Warwick. http://mrc-catalogue.warwick.ac.uk/records/NCA/1/2/1

« Reply #2057 on: 11 February, 2017, 04:11:57 pm »
I had it as a toss-up whether you or LWAB would comment first, so well done ESL :)

« Reply #2058 on: 11 February, 2017, 04:17:53 pm »
There's a list of the 1975 PBP finishers.

http://audax.dotadmin.com/pbp-1975

Those lists are quite handy, they've helped me sort out why I'm credited with three rather than four PBPs. ACP used my middle name in 1999.
4271 PEACOCK Andrew VE UK CENT. LANCS RC 85h54

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2059 on: 11 February, 2017, 05:50:56 pm »
Has that been sorted yet ESL? If not, let me know and I'll have a chat with Alain to put it right.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2060 on: 11 February, 2017, 05:57:45 pm »
I actually quite like it. It's a reminder that history is sometimes fragmented.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2061 on: 11 February, 2017, 06:12:26 pm »
ACP also have problems keeping track of multiple-PBP ladies getting married.

Their current convention is Mrs Jane MaidenName-MarriedName

« Reply #2062 on: 11 February, 2017, 06:17:20 pm »
There's sometimes confusion caused by those unfamiliar with the French convention of Surname first.

« Reply #2063 on: 11 February, 2017, 10:28:04 pm »
There's sometimes confusion caused by those unfamiliar with the French convention of Surname first.

I'd noticed that. Seeing as I have a French (well, generally continental, really) women's forename as my surname, I'm careful about it.1

I had it as a toss-up whether you or LWAB would comment first, so well done ESL :)

LWaB was at the AUK AGM. Admittedly, retiring to the pub afterwards doesn't appear to have blunted his quill.

1: Many years ago, when I was an impressionable 15 year old, a large and well-armed East German border guard felt it appropriate to check whether, given my name, I was sure whether I was a boy or a girl. Seeing as he'd obviously never seen a burgundy UK passport before, and had had to take it off me so that the corporal down the other end of the train carriage (who I assume had actually read the briefing paper) could check it, I didn't feel able to do anything other than giggle uneasily.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2064 on: 11 February, 2017, 10:39:10 pm »
I am really impressed with this Arrivee. There is a nice balance of subjects and approaches.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2065 on: 11 February, 2017, 10:40:43 pm »

Please let me get this corrected. It'll be like an empty tooth socket for me otherwise.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2066 on: 12 February, 2017, 08:59:28 am »

Please let me get this corrected. It'll be like an empty tooth socket for me otherwise.
How do you feel about misspelling of "Phoenix"? After 5 years of asking, I decided it didn't irritate me enough to pursue it further ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2067 on: 12 February, 2017, 09:01:35 am »
OK Matt, since you're twisting my arm...

Martin

« Reply #2068 on: 13 February, 2017, 11:56:44 am »
nice pix of the MSH; can't put names to faces off the top of my head though  :-[

« Reply #2069 on: 15 February, 2017, 07:23:24 pm »
Arrivee n'est pas arrivee ici - any tips?!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2070 on: 15 February, 2017, 07:34:14 pm »
delph cyclist of this parish is the AUK Membership Secretary.

He's a kind, helpful chap.

Send him a personal message with your real name, AUK Membership Number and address...

« Reply #2071 on: 17 February, 2017, 11:40:41 am »
delph cyclist of this parish is the AUK Membership Secretary ...

Well, occasionally of this parish.  The AUK Forum is a better way of ensuring my attention for AUK matters.  I've been in touch with Alismed and I should be able to provide total satisfaction on this matter shortly.

« Reply #2072 on: 12 May, 2017, 06:59:58 am »
Does anyone know if this months Arrivee has been published?
It's all about the breakfast

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #2073 on: 12 May, 2017, 08:11:36 am »
New printers rather late in the day, I hear. Hopefully not too long now...
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #2074 on: 12 May, 2017, 04:42:33 pm »
New printers rather late in the day, I hear. Hopefully not too long now...

Any moment now!  They have been printed, so it's all down to Royal Mail.  What could possibly go wrong?  When you recall that we recently lost Tim as one of our editors, and that Sheila retired as editor after completing the previous edition, you will appreciate that there has been a lot of work going on behind the scenes getting this one out.  It didn't help that our existing Printer suddenly went into receivership either so we had to find a replacement for that.