Author Topic: BA-BOOM-BA-BOOM-BA-BOOM  (Read 2335 times)

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
BA-BOOM-BA-BOOM-BA-BOOM
« on: 05 August, 2008, 09:42:40 pm »
Don't worry, I didn't get shelled on the way home!

I left the office, fresh of thigh and cosily wrapped in finest Pearl Izumi lycra, Nike roubaix fabric legwarmers and Endura thermal base layer. Super comfortable Dainese back protector giving me a friendly hug, whilst the magick of Gore guarded my feet against the drizzle, threatening to fall from the swollen grey clouds.

I set off in a Zen state, man and machine warming up together. Flowing with the traffic, enjoying space that has been lacking for more than one of our number in recent days. My dodgy knee felt a little sore, as he usually does at the start of a ride, but as my heart pumped blood through my body, faster and faster, the knee soon freed up.

Battersea Park, the smell of the grass and the river, the sandy shush-ing of my tyres over the smooth red tarmac. The flagrant staring at the sculpted behinds of dedicated joggers on their evening runs, brings a little guilty pleasure, and summons thoughts of the girl I love. Waiting at the lights on Chelsea Bridge I pine for her for a moment, but remind myself why we are not together at the moment, and I am filled with a sense of purpose - we are both working to secure our future together. She striving for the MTox that will secure her dream Phd, and I, working hard to secure us our first home.

I have reached Vauxhall now, and dance through the choked streets with a fluidity bourne of practice and the love of cycling that makes me handle my bike delicately and precisely.

The monotonous straight line to Peckham and beyond and the endless sets of traffic lights are broken by a pretty cyclist who returns my smile. I notice an eerie moment of tailwind matching my speed, I feel no wind on my face and an odd quiet abounds. In an instant it is gone, shattered by the loud thumping of the KTM that roars past me, rider crouched low, throttle wide open.

Climbing the hill up to Blackheath Common, my legs feel strong and light, and my breath is coming easily. Rushing deep into my lungs as I overhaul the queuing cars at a mere 10mph. Onto the common and the first bit of open space fills my senses with a widening of the vision, enhanced by the narrow walls of the climb up.

On I press, body singing magnificently, as a firing of bulging, blood engorged muscles forces each leg down again and again in a 110rpm blur of fluid cadence.

A fellow cyclist blows past me at a set of traffic lights, as I suck hard on my bottle, almost desperately, before the attempt on Shooters Hill. I have a target now, one that superceedes simply broaching the crest of the hill and I leave the stop line with a grunt, forced from my throat as I devote every fibre of my being to catching and passing this other lycra clad machine.

He is not my enemy, but I wish to damage his pride, a primal hunting instict sharpens my focus and a cool intensity grips me. He has hit the steepest section and is working hard, I shift up, rising out of the saddle into a full sprinting climb. Air rushes down my throat and through my nose, jaw hanging slack. Wide open. The hill is steep now, my arms and fingers ache from pulling on the bars to counterbalance my legs pulling and pushing at the pedals, symutaneously, in an unbreakable rhythm. I can feel hot, sticky drool escaping my limp mouth and lolling tounge, but I have almost reached him now. He hears my approach, the sucking of air into my lungs and the hoarse hush of it being expelled, but he cannot respond. I pass him and continue my assault, mind forcing now deadened limbs to continue the sprint as the camber becomes level.

BA-BOOM-BA-BOOM-BA-BOOM my heart beats so hard in my chest, as I contort myself into the smallest shape I can to scream down the other side, breaking 40mph.

I despatch the last handfull of minutes ride mechanically, easing off and warming down as I approach what is for the moment, home. To sit in the garden and listen to trains passing by, and have a cat nestle in my lap, its warmth appriciated by my thighs.

Anybody else enjoy their commute home?
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: BA-BOOM-BA-BOOM-BA-BOOM
« Reply #1 on: 05 August, 2008, 09:51:29 pm »
You make it sound almost worth having a job! Good report.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 05 August, 2008, 09:58:06 pm »
The thread title sounds like a lowered Citroen Saxo passing with its windows open.  Actually, that's more like BA-BOOM-BA-BOOM-YA CAAAAHNT!-BA-BOOM-BA-BOOM...
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #3 on: 05 August, 2008, 09:58:39 pm »
No.  Mine was more of a drip-drip-drippity-drip-drip-drip.

« Reply #4 on: 05 August, 2008, 10:47:09 pm »
No.  Mine was more of a drip-drip-drippity-drip-drip-drip.

+ a grumpity grump grump grump.

:demon: :demon:
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #5 on: 06 August, 2008, 12:17:59 am »

No, but I had a great ride in. I live just over a mile from my place of work. It took me over an hour ;-)

Some roads I hadn't been down for a while, some I have rarely been down in daylight. Lovely ride, lots of effort and got to work feeling really great.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #6 on: 06 August, 2008, 09:33:03 am »
Not back at work until Saturday. Will let you know.....
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

iakobski

« Reply #7 on: 06 August, 2008, 09:52:26 am »
Nice writing, enjoyed that.

Oh, and yes, I enjoy the commute, when you know every hill and can push hard knowing exactly when the gradient drops

One small point (pedantry):
Climbing the hill up to Blackheath Common, my legs feel strong and light, and my breath is coming easily. Rushing deep into my lungs as I overhaul the queuing cars at a mere 10mph. Onto the common ...
It's just Blackheath or The Heath - it may look more like a common than a heath, but is never called that.
/pedant

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #8 on: 06 August, 2008, 10:33:47 am »
<snip>

Oddly enough yeah.  I was doing marine boy impersonations all the way home (oxygum anyone?) and for the last couple of miles my socks and everything else north of them were wetter than a very wet thing after Noah's flood, but... it was a nice ride. 
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #9 on: 06 August, 2008, 11:10:38 am »

No ???  I was recce'ing possible bike-friendly approaches to the Cheshunt Travelodge, which obliged me and my motorcar to sit behind a certifiable badger's flange1 for what felt like half a lifetime.  Two sets of temporary traffic lights in close proximity plus artic drivers faithfully following their TwatNavs plus three different bus routes = gridlock.

Note to self: get back on the bike, you idle twonk!

1 - 25 - 35 mph on NSL B-road; speeds up to 40 on passing the 30 sign coming into Waltham Abbey.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 06 August, 2008, 11:18:03 am »
I enjoy my commute.  I'd much prefer it if I didn't have to share with any non-HPVs, but I do still enjoy it.
Getting there...

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #11 on: 06 August, 2008, 12:11:16 pm »
This read very much like a Wilbur Smith novel but in a good way  :thumbsup: - I completely understand the desire to push on and over-take, but obviously in a non-threatening manner as you have just described.

I have started a little challenge on the morning commute  - how many people can I overtake over London Bridge (there is a small incline from the traffic lights at Tooley Street). Today was about 7. I somehow just get some je ne sais crois in my legs which goes vroom vroom past other cyclists (I even passed people in their sassy little racers). I tell you what, it gives you a high!

spindrift

« Reply #12 on: 06 August, 2008, 12:14:17 pm »
I have started a little challenge on the morning commute  - how many people can I overtake over London Bridge
I do that the other way, there's a slight incline to give you a boost by Monument. Often there'll be six or eight cyclists at the lights, I bang up the gears and pile into the camber, the slight uphill rise to the middle of the bridge.

that does me, if I beat them uphill I just coast down again to the lights where I bust my rib, If I beat them to the crest I've won.

I've definitely won.

I checked in the Official Book and it says I won.

No, you can't have a look. 

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #13 on: 06 August, 2008, 02:54:13 pm »
I do that the other way, there's a slight incline to give you a boost by Monument. Often there'll be six or eight cyclists at the lights, I bang up the gears and pile into the camber, the slight uphill rise to the middle of the bridge.

That bit really intimidates me, I would rather cower take it easy on that side as you have more exposure to the other motorists.

The other day I saw a bendy bus literally pin a cyclist (right next to House of Fraser building) to the side of the road, quite frightening!

Jacomus

« Reply #14 on: 06 August, 2008, 03:32:30 pm »
<
SNIP>

The other day I saw a bendy bus literally pin a cyclist (right next to House of Fraser building) to the side of the road, quite frightening!

I saw a bendy bus do the same thing to a transit van this morning, so its not always cyclists!
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #15 on: 06 August, 2008, 04:41:29 pm »
I have a question for all you commuter-racers:
what happens if one of your "prey" fights back?

Does the "faux race" turn into a real one? If they sit on your wheel do you slow down, then try to drop them at the next amber-turning-red? Or do you track-stand to force them in front?
If a sprint develops, who decides the finish-line?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #16 on: 06 August, 2008, 04:53:32 pm »
I'm practising not getting dragged into any Tours des Commute.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #17 on: 06 August, 2008, 05:16:25 pm »
I passed a rider on Balham Hill this morning, and he stood up on the pedals and bit right back.  Fair paly to him.  I always try to leave space for faster riders to pass. :)
Getting there...

Jacomus

« Reply #18 on: 06 August, 2008, 05:21:25 pm »
I have a question for all you commuter-racers:
what happens if one of your "prey" fights back?

Does the "faux race" turn into a real one? If they sit on your wheel do you slow down, then try to drop them at the next amber-turning-red? Or do you track-stand to force them in front?
If a sprint develops, who decides the finish-line?

Only one person has ever beaten me.

Many have fought back, very occasionally passing me, but disqualified themselves by RLJing. The RLJ in a commuter race is the admission that there is no other way to best your adversary.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #19 on: 06 August, 2008, 05:22:21 pm »
That's right.  the RLJ  (or pavement skip) is conceding defeat.  It's not about endangering others - it's about riding.
Getting there...

« Reply #20 on: 06 August, 2008, 05:30:42 pm »
There are a couple of very fast non-RLJers that commute along Embankment (from Parliament Sq to the King's Road).

One guy I was talking to (stopped at lights) has a 18 mile commute from SE1 to Sunbury and usually averages 23mph.

(I'm in the top 25% but my average is creeping up and I'm regularly averaging 17mph now).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."