Author Topic: Sexist remarks......  (Read 4782 times)

Sexist remarks......
« on: 06 August, 2008, 08:45:40 pm »
I lowered myself today....

Fratton Bridge has a crossing that allows access to a quiet route into Portsmouth. There is a crossing, but unfortunately , this being Portsmouth cars simply ignore it.

Today there were three or four of us and the offending vehicle was a peroxide blonde in a 4x4. Young lad tries to get round front of vehicle (on crossing with green light) so she drives forward to block him and lets out a mouthful of abuse.

It was one of those moments when it all comes together...

Alongside me was a postie....

Postman - "Had to be a woman driver didn't it"

Me joining in " ... and a blonde"

Blonde "Go away (FO)" and offers middle digit

Postman " Oh look she's offering sexual favours now!"

Young lad "Well I wouldn't f*** it she's bloody ancient""

Blonde "Go away (FO)"

Postman "Such nice language as well!"

... and off we went leaving one annoyed inconsiderate blond in a 4x4

Rapples

Re: Sexist remarks......
« Reply #1 on: 06 August, 2008, 08:59:20 pm »
Reminds me of an incident in Gamlingay, Cambs.

I was driving my horsebox(7.5 ton lorry) down a narrow high street with parked cars and traffic calming measures.

I stopped to let an HGV through.

Woman in Volvo tries to overtake me, only o be blocked by HGV coming through.

She has to reverse...  HGV driver stops along side me and winds down his window.....

That's why she has to drive a Volvo ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #2 on: 06 August, 2008, 10:00:13 pm »
She sounds like a complete muppet, but is that really necessary?  It irks me a little bit that if you're female and you bollocks something up, it's acceptable and even slightly amusing for the chaps around to comment on whether they'd like to have sex with you. 

Meh.  Tonight, Matthew, I'm being grumpy and humourless.

« Reply #3 on: 06 August, 2008, 10:04:31 pm »
Total muppets come with, and without bollocks.   :(

« Reply #4 on: 06 August, 2008, 10:07:28 pm »
She sounds like a complete muppet, but is that really necessary?  It irks me a little bit that if you're female and you bollocks something up, it's acceptable and even slightly amusing for the chaps around to comment on whether they'd like to have sex with you. 

^^ This. 

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 06 August, 2008, 10:32:01 pm »
Total muppets come with, and without bollocks.   :(

But, IME, mainly with (albeit inadequate)
Getting there...

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #6 on: 06 August, 2008, 10:36:11 pm »

But she didn't bollocks something up, as I read the OP she deliberately blocked a cyclist and started the verbals. If you start the foul language then surely you deserve to get some abuse back.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

ian

« Reply #7 on: 06 August, 2008, 10:39:50 pm »
At least being a moron is a genuinely equal opportunity. Didn't even need legislation, either.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #8 on: 07 August, 2008, 12:23:35 am »
Why can't the abuse be based on the behaviour and not the sex?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

rae

« Reply #9 on: 07 August, 2008, 12:43:48 am »
Why can't the abuse be based on the behaviour and not the sex? 

Generally because if you are going to deliver a load of verbal in a traffic situation, it needs to be quick.   You may be able to think of something funny to do with driving skills in a few milliseconds but I can't.   I normally go for "fatty", regardless of how fat or thin they are.   It works well on genuine fatties and borderline fatties (actually, borderline is pretty much everyone else).   Abusing the passenger also works.  Accuse the bloke driving with his wife of driving with his mum or boyfriend.   When they get enraged lean over and say "yes, it does appear to be a woman on second glance" etc - sends 'em demented.   

Or you can just call them a cunt.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #10 on: 07 August, 2008, 09:37:14 am »
It also works backwards too.

This morning I was brush passed by a woman in a Golf, as we approached the tail of slow moving traffic. I slipped out from behind her car, and powered up the right hand side to slot in neatly in front of her again, now that we were at the back of the column.

I gave my head a little tap as in 'think', then signalled left to change lanes into the bus lane that was about to spring up. I heard her rev, and as I did my lifesaver I caught her moving out to block me. She went into the bus lane (preventing me doing so) and got flashed by the speed camera.

I caught her at the next lights, very easily, and as her window was down, came out with.

"Thats a top notch wig mate, I'd have never known you're a bloke if you hadn't driven like such a cock back there."  She called me a bender, so I got to add "Well, duh, but your enough to make me fancy women."

;D ;D
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #11 on: 07 August, 2008, 09:41:07 am »
I got beeped and then fronted by a neanderthal this morning.  After he had levered himself from his car, a crowd of builders gathered to watch the show - and they were rooting for me...  ;D

Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12 on: 07 August, 2008, 09:43:12 am »
No need for sexist remarks (though I did use a couple of names for genitalia in my description of some bad drivers (and cyclists :( ) last night)
Getting there...

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #13 on: 07 August, 2008, 09:46:07 am »
I got beeped and then fronted by a neanderthal this morning.  After he had levered himself from his car, a crowd of builders gathered to watch the show - and they were rooting for me...  ;D

You're mixing up reality and daydreams of buff builders again there Greg...

« Reply #14 on: 07 August, 2008, 09:46:42 am »
Pissweasel Fuckpuppets are gender non-specific aren't they?
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #15 on: 07 August, 2008, 09:53:06 am »
...and they were rooting for me...  ;D

What an image that conjures. Or have I misunderstood the phrase?

But seriously, I'm with Liz on this.

« Reply #16 on: 07 August, 2008, 10:32:46 am »
Sexist comments are usually used in this sort of circumstance precisely because they are offensive and horrible.  Would any of you really be able to avoid being offensive and rude in the heat of the moment?  Unlikely.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #17 on: 07 August, 2008, 10:34:59 am »
"That was a terribly horrid thing to do."

"F*** off"

"My, how ghastly!"

"F*** off"

"This will make an interesting and amusing tale on a cycling forum later today and, dare I say it, cause a frightful disturbance of controversy."

« Reply #18 on: 07 August, 2008, 10:36:33 am »
Sexist comments are usually used in this sort of circumstance precisely because they are offensive and horrible.  Would any of you really be able to avoid being offensive and rude in the heat of the moment?  Unlikely.

Personally I'd have to stop and think to use them.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #19 on: 07 August, 2008, 10:41:18 am »
I rarely summon more eloquence than a vague noise and a gesture (rarely of the one- or two-fingered variety).

The sort of abuse in the OP was contrived and pointless.
Getting there...

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #20 on: 07 August, 2008, 10:43:27 am »
I'm not suggesting that it's wrong to be offensive and rude to a crap driver, but is it really more difficult to call someone a half-witted moron than to analyse their sexual appeal?  Srsly?

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #21 on: 07 August, 2008, 10:47:28 am »
Personally I'd have to stop and think to use them

Really? I did remark to another cyclist (not to the lady who was blocking the Advanced Stop Line this morning) that she was basically a Bermondsey chav, and she couldn't help it.

TBH I'm not too sure where I stand on the sexist remarks. One the one hand you are reacting to someone who is being an inconsiderate user on the road, however the comments were offensive (can I say I laughed at the sheer levels of bitchiness when reading it this morning).

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #22 on: 07 August, 2008, 10:53:56 am »
My reaction to sexist comments tends more towards "meh" than outraged offence.

If you say to a woman "I wouldn't f*ck you" and expect that to be a put-down, you're basically saying two things:  firstly "I have a very high opinon of my own sexual allure, and I believe women will be upset or insulted when I say I don't want to have sex with them," and secondly "This is an insult because women are only worth judging on their sexual appeal, because all they're good for is sex."

Says more about the insulter than the insulted, IMO.

Calling someone a pissweasel fuckpuppet, on the other hand, is the height of wit and sparkling repartee.  ;D

« Reply #23 on: 07 August, 2008, 10:56:51 am »
Personally I'd have to stop and think to use them

Really?

Sexist comments, not abusive comments. I can do abuse reasonably well.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #24 on: 07 August, 2008, 10:58:06 am »
I think I shall just revert to 'Wazzock'.  No one here knows what it means, but they kinda get the idea it ain't a compliment.

Confusion in the brains of the simple-minded is our friend.
Getting there...