Author Topic: Witnessed a Pedestrian hit by a car last night  (Read 1026 times)

blackpuddinonnabike

Witnessed a Pedestrian hit by a car last night
« on: 07 August, 2008, 10:15:56 am »
Or heard it and saw the immediate aftermath. Waiting for our lights to turn green (cyclist just in front of me) and just as we move off there's a horn and skid to the left, followed by a rather sickening thump. Looking round there's a bundle lying in the bus lane and a taxi stopped in the normal traffic lane (bus lane has parked cars in it further down). The bundle gets to her feet of her own accord, but holding a shoulder and looking completely spaced (as you would be after being hit by a car). 3 or 4 people run to her (if there was one thing I took from this it was the immediate willingness of people to help) and the cyclist in front of me abandons his bike to run over as well. I get off and seeing a group of people already helping her sit down on a window-ledge of a shop I tuck my bike away to the side and fetch that of the cyclist from in front of me, who thanks me for my frankly tiny contribution.

Given the crowd around her (she's now sitting, still in a daze, and blood coming from her nose), and the taxi driver walking from his cab towards the group I figure there's little else I can do (especially given I didn't see the actual incident) I set off gingerly on my way.

I don't think the cab had taken a chance at the lights, and from memory, in the rain-induced gloom he had his lights on. I'm 99% sure the girl had simply walked out into the road without looking, and the car will have hit at around 25-30mph.

Afterwards I wondered if I should have at least left my details, but the number of people around will have actually seen what happened, and given her state one more body fussing about was unlikely to help. First time I've ever actually been close to something like that happening and I'll be happy if I'm never as close again.

Pete

Re: Witnessed a Pedestrian hit by a car last night
« Reply #1 on: 07 August, 2008, 10:25:50 am »
Nasty! and unsettling.  Hope she's, in the main, OK, and the blood from the nose is just a nose-bleed, not a skull-fracture... One thing that sticks in my mind, is where you say:
and the car will have hit at around 25-30mph.

Lucky it was that speed, and not 35-40mph!  Otherwise there'd be no sitting of the girl on a window-ledge.  Instead there'd be an unconscious victim, paramedics frantic at the CPR, and probably being stretchered away covered with a sheet...

In about 4 years of frequent visits to France, on last week's trip we saw our first serious RTA aftermath (a surprisingly good record considering French motorists' reputation!) - a motorbiker down after collision with a car.  There were paramedics on scene and a stretcher with a sheet on it, but no body under the sheet.  I hope that means the biker was OK: the bike was badly mangled.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2 on: 07 August, 2008, 11:41:49 am »
That's horrible, I hope she's ok. You must have been shaken afterwards too.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #3 on: 07 August, 2008, 11:49:18 am »
The thought of it stayed with me for a while (together with that feeling of guilt at having not done more - which I know is unwarranted, but it's there nonetheless).

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #4 on: 07 August, 2008, 12:13:27 pm »
Of course it will be there if you are a decent person - a little bit of irrational guilt at not helping the girl is normal.

Just take it easy.

*cup of tea*
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart