Author Topic: Chronic speeding  (Read 1885 times)

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
Chronic speeding
« on: 08 August, 2008, 10:35:30 am »
I have always been aware of how many drivers speed through town, but today there was definitely an excess.

In outer London I noticed it first - there were fewer cars than normal, and everyone was pushing to the limit. Most drivers were hitting 45mph+ and I even saw some prat in a Volvo T5 overtake an old chap who was doing about 30. The Volvo driver floored it around the wrong side of a traffic island that had 2 women standing in it waiting to cross the road. One of them screamed in shock.

Then all the rest of the way people were gunning their engines, and behaving like utter lunatics. I lost count at 12 of the number of people who actively accelerated towards red lights, before slamming on and barely stopping half way over the line. At Vauxhall gyratory I was simultaneously over and under-taken by 2 vans who seemed determined to see who could take the blind corner under the bridge the fastest. The smaller van won as his tyres screeched as he hurtled round the corner.

Anybody else notice this?
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Chronic speeding
« Reply #1 on: 08 August, 2008, 10:39:07 am »
No worse than normal today from what I saw.  Some careful drivers, and a few complete wazzocks.
Getting there...

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #2 on: 08 August, 2008, 10:47:34 am »
Maybe it was just me feeling a bit under the weather, made it more pronounced, but it seemed more manic.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 08 August, 2008, 10:56:20 am »
No - it's entirely possible.  Sometimes there are just collections of eejits.  And a couple can significantly alter the behaviour of those around them.
Getting there...

« Reply #4 on: 09 August, 2008, 10:10:09 am »
I have always been aware of how many drivers speed through town, but today there was definitely an excess.

In outer London I noticed it first - there were fewer cars than normal, and everyone was pushing to the limit. Most drivers were hitting 45mph+ and I even saw some prat in a Volvo T5 overtake an old chap who was doing about 30. The Volvo driver floored it around the wrong side of a traffic island that had 2 women standing in it waiting to cross the road. One of them screamed in shock.

Then all the rest of the way people were gunning their engines, and behaving like utter lunatics. I lost count at 12 of the number of people who actively accelerated towards red lights, before slamming on and barely stopping half way over the line. At Vauxhall gyratory I was simultaneously over and under-taken by 2 vans who seemed determined to see who could take the blind corner under the bridge the fastest. The smaller van won as his tyres screeched as he hurtled round the corner.

Are these the same people who are howling about the high cost of fuel, I wonder?
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

Yorkshireman

• The Meaning of Life is ...
  • North Hykeham. Lincoln.
    • Yorkshireman's Ramblings
« Reply #5 on: 09 August, 2008, 10:26:00 am »
Not just a bout of 'Friday Fever'*? Seem to get it around Lincoln from time to time.

*It's Friday, the weekend begins when I've finished/got home etc, rush, rush, hurry, hurry.

Colin N.

Lincolnshire is mostly flat ... but the wind is mostly in your face.

« Reply #6 on: 09 August, 2008, 10:28:26 am »
Not just a bout of 'Friday Fever'*? Seem to get it around Lincoln from time to time.

*It's Friday, the weekend begins when I've finished/got home etc, rush, rush, hurry, hurry.

Ha! For me the weekend begins at the start of my journey home, not the end of it.
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #7 on: 09 August, 2008, 10:54:12 am »
I lost count... of the number of people who actively accelerated towards red lights...

+1

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 09 August, 2008, 11:03:57 am »
It's August. There's less traffic to slow the wazzocks by congestion so the wazzocks let rip.
Some minicab drivers are naughty that way (partner had terrible return from Heathrow on Wednesday night) some drive very smoothly.

« Reply #9 on: 10 August, 2008, 12:22:23 pm »
It's August. There's less traffic to slow the wazzocks by congestion so the wazzocks let rip.
Some minicab drivers are naughty that way (partner had terrible return from Heathrow on Wednesday night) some drive very smoothly.

I once told a driver to pull over, and got out because of his driving!

You should not tolerate bad driving as a passenger, especially when you are paying for a "safe journey"

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: 10 August, 2008, 12:32:25 pm »

I once told a driver to pull over, and got out because of his driving!

You should not tolerate bad driving as a passenger, especially when you are paying for a "safe journey"

Agreed, but if it's close to midnight and you've been up 24 hours and you have loads of luggage, what do you do?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #11 on: 10 August, 2008, 01:20:17 pm »
Interesting observations Jacomus.

My take: On out journey North 4 weeks ago the traffic was measured and steady. I went up ay 56mph and achieved 52mpg with a full car and 4 bikes up on top. I didn't feel 'intimidated' by the average speed of the rest of the traffic.

On our journey South yesterday it appeared to be back to normal. We went a bit faster (60-65mph) achieved 42mpg  :-[) and regularly were buzzed by cars doing in excess of 90. Plenty of convoys doing 80+ Completely different from 4 weeks ago.

Fuel has come down in price and people have got used to the higher price is my take...
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #12 on: 10 August, 2008, 02:03:10 pm »
On my commute in, sometimes you seem to see the same mad behaviour over and over.  I've come to the conclusion that there is a secret announcement somewhere that says something like "Today's Mad Manoeuver : Reversing through traffic lights.  Tomorrow : Three point turns on dual-carriageways". :-\ ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #13 on: 11 August, 2008, 11:49:50 am »
On my commute in, sometimes you seem to see the same mad behaviour over and over.  I've come to the conclusion that there is a secret announcement somewhere that says something like "Today's Mad Manoeuver : Reversing through traffic lights.  Tomorrow : Three point turns on dual-carriageways". :-\ ;D

Yesterday's: pull onto chevrons 'twixt M25 and entry slip road at J13 (clockwise).  Turn sharp left, so as to cross entry slip at right angles, before turning onto hard shoulder downstream of slip road ??? ???
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime