Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 943053 times)

ian

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #7450 on: 19 September, 2017, 01:50:13 pm »
Except in Alien you cared about the characters and wanted them to pull through and grimaced every time they became a snack. In Covenant, you wanted them to get eaten as quickly and as messily as possible.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7451 on: 19 September, 2017, 03:06:29 pm »
Could well have been that that a reviewer on France Info called an industrial accident.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #7452 on: 19 September, 2017, 03:52:40 pm »
I think the worst thing about those two movies is that the characters keep doing stupid. Over and over. There were moments of mass cinema-going facepalming that were almost seismic.

« Reply #7453 on: 19 September, 2017, 08:17:30 pm »
I, OTOH, watched the extended cut of _Aliens_ on the big screen this morning - my local cinema does random 'for one day only' showings of old films most weeks - and it was even more awesome than my teenage memories of it; my best mate had the VHS, so we watched it a fair bit, but I'd not seen it in years.

I also saw the trailer for _Blade Runner 2049_, which has made me want to re-watch the original before I go see the sequel and ruin it all; the director's cut is the version to go for, right?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7454 on: 19 September, 2017, 10:26:02 pm »
I, OTOH, watched the extended cut of _Aliens_ on the big screen this morning - my local cinema does random 'for one day only' showings of old films most weeks - and it was even more awesome than my teenage memories of it; my best mate had the VHS, so we watched it a fair bit, but I'd not seen it in years.

I also saw the trailer for _Blade Runner 2049_, which has made me want to re-watch the original before I go see the sequel and ruin it all; the director's cut is the version to go for, right?

Interestingly, these were (other than Bollywood demo discs) the first films I saw on DVD.  The extended cut of Aliens[1] (including the gun turret scenes), which was excellent if MPEGy in places, and some version or other of Blade Runner which was undeniably pretty but still overrated.

[1] Being raised on James Cameron action movies, my childhood role models were Ellen Ripley, Lindsey Brigman and Sarah Connor.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #7455 on: 19 September, 2017, 11:35:16 pm »
Final Cut (2007 version), IMHO. Director's Cut (1992) wasn't supervised by Ridley Scott though they followed extensive notes from him & he approved it. He wasn't entirely happy with the result though, hence the Final Cut.

« Reply #7456 on: 19 September, 2017, 11:36:55 pm »
Given the source material, it took a special talent to make them so awful.

Yep. Even the bad Alien sequels and Aliens vs Predator derivatives are better than Prometheus and Covenant...I mean, at least they try to entertain.

« Reply #7457 on: 20 September, 2017, 11:15:50 am »
Moonlight

Very slow paced, story-telling type film.

Couldn't hold a candle to 'manchester by the sea' for cinematography, but good storytelling.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #7458 on: 21 September, 2017, 11:03:33 am »
Final Cut (2007 version), IMHO. Director's Cut (1992) wasn't supervised by Ridley Scott though they followed extensive notes from him & he approved it. He wasn't entirely happy with the result though, hence the Final Cut.

Which is the One True Version is a matter of much debate among serious fans/obsessives¹.  There’s a DVD boxset of the film you can get which has five different versions of the film.

1. Workprint
2. US Theatrical Cut
3. The International Cut
4. The Director’s Cut
5. The Final Cut

Number 1, the workprint, as it implies is not a final version but is of interest if you’re a SF/O.  2 & 3 are the original releases, 3 is the version we had in the UK and is a little less censored for violence than the US version – both of these versions have the voiceover² and that is generally the main point of debate

Number 4 is the 1992 re-edit that has been rightfully pointed out  is not truly the Director’s Cut because it wasn’t Ridley doing the new edit.  It’s probably my favourite though. 

Number 5, actually is the one that Ridley edited.  I prefer 4 to this one because although 5 does a great job in correcting some of the errors in the original (including some reshoots with Joanna Cassidy literally decades after the original shoot), it has some dialogue changes that were really unnecessary in my view – most specially changing “I want more life, fucker!” to “I want more life, father!” The father was implied in the earlier version.  It’s also a bit bloodier and shows Roy Batty killing a character which was previously only implied - again I didn't think that change was necessary but that's a personal opinion.

1. Delete according to point of view (or overexposure to raging fanboys).

2.  Some people really hate the original release versions now, most especially because of the voiceover but they still have their fans and were the versions that originally gave the film its cult status (if that version was as terrible as some now state, there would never have been an interest in revisiting it).  I’ve stated my own preference above but I think the film works with and without the voiceover – they are just very different films.

Crucially I think the question about if Deckard a replicant or not has a different answer depending on which version of the film you’re watching (in my view at least).  I think in 2 & 3 Deckard is human.  In 4 & 5, he’s a replicant. Again a personal view.

This does matter though and not just for fan reasons and unfortunately has unpleasant facts associated with it – the ‘love’ scene between Rachel and Deckard can be seen as a violent sexual assault if he’s human, if he is a replicant it could be seen as a similar clumsiness to the way we see Priss & Batty kissing later in the film.

I’m being charitable there though and I think it’s a problematic scene that Sean Young was very uncomfortable with and was also unhappy with how Harrison Ford treated her in that scene and generally throughout the shoot.  Young later gained a reputation for being “difficult” which appears to be Hollywoodese for “Will not sleep with Director/Producer/Leading Actor” – now that we know from Carrie Fisher’s biography that Ford had previous for sleeping with young female co-stars, perhaps this was what was going on. 

fuzzy

« Reply #7459 on: 21 September, 2017, 11:19:02 am »
The best version of Blade Runner is your favourite. What other peoples think is the best is as much use as a lot of professional critics views on any film- opinion.

Love your favourite. Enjoy or dislike directors cuts etc. as you choose.

I know which is my favourite though I like them all.

« Reply #7460 on: 21 September, 2017, 04:14:10 pm »
Thanks, WW; very helpful. Looks like there's a couple of places showing the film round here in the run-up to the new release; I could choose between the Director's Cut and the Final Cut. Think I'll probably go for the director's cut, as that's more local to me.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #7461 on: 21 September, 2017, 11:57:11 pm »

Which is the One True Version is a matter of much debate among serious fans/obsessives¹.  There’s a DVD boxset of the film you can get which has five different versions of the film.
As a serious fan/obsessive, I naturally own the 5 disc DVD set. And the 30th anniversary Blu-ray version which has all the same content (all the versions, plus the fantastic Dangerous Days doc.).
4K version is out Monday (only the Final Cut in 4K)…
Excellent summation of the various versions, WW, thanks.

ian

« Reply #7462 on: 22 September, 2017, 11:19:43 am »

Yep. Even the bad Alien sequels and Aliens vs Predator derivatives are better than Prometheus and Covenant...I mean, at least they try to entertain.

The thing about Aliens vs. Predators was that you didn't exactly set your expectations to high. And yet were still left disappointed, but hey.

For all the furore and the millions spent, both Prometheus and Covenant were big steaming movie turds. And not little turds, these were squeezed out of an orifice the width of the Blackwall tunnel.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #7463 on: 23 September, 2017, 10:11:26 pm »
Hidden Figures. Excellent film.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

ian

« Reply #7464 on: 25 September, 2017, 04:56:03 pm »
Kingsman: the Golden Circle. It won't score on the surprise-o-meter. I sort of didn't want to like it as it was more than a little juvenile (if you liked the anal sex joke in the original, you'll ho-ho-ho yourself into an early grave), yet it was curiously entertaining. Obviously, I can look at Julianne Moore for a long time without my eyes getting tired. The plot, of which we don't exactly ask much of in a movie like this, was incoherent.

Like I say, I'm not sure why it was entertaining, but it was. Possibly the 10% imperial dessert stout I had beforehand.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #7465 on: 25 September, 2017, 08:58:28 pm »

The thing about Aliens vs. Predators was that you didn't exactly set your expectations to high. And yet were still left disappointed, but hey.

For all the furore and the millions spent, both Prometheus and Covenant were big steaming movie turds. And not little turds, these were squeezed out of an orifice the width of the Blackwall tunnel.

I am reminded of Muriel's comment about the USA in the second 'Marigold': "I went with low expectations, and came away disappointed"

The last two Alien films have indeed left me with my standard American horror response in overdrive: "Why are you being so STUPID?"

And as for shit Nick Cage films, just leave it at "Left Behind". No more to say on that one.

Now, I have just watched a true turkey, bought cheap at Tecso. The mini-series of 'The Stand', featuring a true cast of thespian failures, including the profoundly irritating Molly Ringwald, who spent the entire post-apocalyptic dross in a series of pretty frocks. Oh, and her performance was shite as well. As was almost everyone else's. And the script. And the direction. And, well, everything involved.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

ian

« Reply #7466 on: 26 September, 2017, 08:20:45 am »
Heh, Left Behind. It's quite positively the worst movie ever. It's so bad they've not yet invented an adequate way to describe it. There's just nothing in the English language that can sum it up. Even the French can't circumlocute its badness, nor the Germans arrange a multiple word pile-up to adequately describe the on-screen carnage. Humans just don't have the words. Probably the Xxarg'o of Quant'ac VI can, but their language is multidimensional, based on colour, and the product of a billion years of intergalactic evolution.

I did watch the Alien quadrilogy before Covenant. While three and four were rather forgettable, the awesomeness of Alien survives the test of time. That's how to write and film a horror movie. And then Aliens, which on paper could have been a disaster, turned out to be one of the best action movies ever. Impeccably cast, scripted perfectly, and quotable to this day. Someone should ask Ridley if IQs dropped sharply before the latest crop of Aliens movies.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7467 on: 26 September, 2017, 09:43:15 am »
El Bar, a somewhat farcical Spanish melodrama about a bunch of folk trapped in a bar after seeing someone murdered just outside. Liked it.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7468 on: 26 September, 2017, 11:22:16 am »
the profoundly irritating Molly Ringwald

I will not hear a bad word said against Molly Ringwald. Whatever else she may have done in her career, her performance in Breakfast Club had a deeply moving effect on the 14yo me. (I know the cool kids preferred Ally Sheedy but I was never one of the cool kids.)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7469 on: 26 September, 2017, 11:25:38 am »
From Dusk Till Dawn

How have I never seen this before? I suspect I've avoided it because of the sort of film I thought it was. Turns out it's something completely different. And it's hugely entertaining and utterly hilarious. Its overall lack of polish really works in its favour.

The vampire slaughter-fest at the end is brilliantly inventive.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #7470 on: 26 September, 2017, 11:45:06 am »
I confess, I'm on team Molly. Though she seemed to disappear. Matthew Broderick resurfaced in panto at Bromley the other year. I was holding out for the same for Molly. My fantasies are so weird that not even the internet covers them.

I watched From Dusk to Dawn the other week. Boy does it look old (or rather, doesn't everyone look young). Good fun for top vamp slaughtering and I still like the mid-point genre flip, but I was somewhat discomforted by the casual misogyny.

« Reply #7471 on: 27 September, 2017, 01:38:04 am »
Office Space (for the umpteenth time). Still on point and so very good.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7472 on: 27 September, 2017, 04:31:46 am »
La Ringwald did turn up as Fran in the otherwise surprisingly unshit "miniseries" of The Stand, which was a terrible piece of casting if ever I saw one.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7473 on: 27 September, 2017, 08:28:58 am »
From Dusk Till Dawn

How have I never seen this before? I suspect I've avoided it because of the sort of film I thought it was. Turns out it's something completely different. And it's hugely entertaining and utterly hilarious. Its overall lack of polish really works in its favour.

The vampire slaughter-fest at the end is brilliantly inventive.

It was made into a TV series with less expensive people. The first season was OK (and had a rather grand closing scene) but the second series just went on turning the handle and I baled.

« Reply #7474 on: 27 September, 2017, 12:18:15 pm »
American Assassin. Crude thriller with lots of violence but no wit or subtlety to speak of.  Third rate.
Move Faster and Bake Things