Author Topic: Liverpool Street Station  (Read 1793 times)

Liverpool Street Station
« on: 17 August, 2008, 06:16:40 pm »
Is it actually possible to get to the platform at Liverpool Street Station without having to carry your bike down the stairs, or use an escalator? (The escalator probably being a bit dodgy with a bike).  I guess there are lifts somewhere, but is there actually some way to walk in, and just be at the correct level?  When I popped in there to pick up some tickets, I asked one of the bright yellow "customer advisers", who couldn't come up with a suggestion.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Re: Liverpool Street Station
« Reply #1 on: 17 August, 2008, 06:27:14 pm »
Yes. I asked this in my Norfolk thread. You go through the shopping arcade at the back where the floor slopes down. There are also lifts.

I once asked someone (staff) in there and they said the escalators were the only way up and I nearly had an accident struggling up them  ::-)

« Reply #2 on: 17 August, 2008, 06:44:12 pm »
Which road is that off of?  I've only gone in/out via Bishopsgate.  I have used the escalators, and it is possible, but I suspect it's probably strictly speaking a no-no in the appropriate regs.  Sods law dictates that there will be a BTP bod standing there when I try to do it!

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3 on: 17 August, 2008, 06:55:15 pm »
Which road is that off of?  I've only gone in/out via Bishopsgate.  I have used the escalators, and it is possible, but I suspect it's probably strictly speaking a no-no in the appropriate regs.  Sods law dictates that there will be a BTP bod standing there when I try to do it!

It's off Liverpool Street (the road!) itself. Blomfeld Street/Octagon Arcade on your link

« Reply #4 on: 17 August, 2008, 07:21:48 pm »
Hmm, that seems quite a way along the road, ah well, if I find it I do, otherwise I'll just carry my bike down the steps like I've done every other time!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5 on: 17 August, 2008, 07:24:11 pm »
Steve and I used the escalator to bring the tandem up on Friday, but carried it down the stairs yesterday.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #6 on: 17 August, 2008, 07:44:16 pm »

It's off Liverpool Street (the road!) itself. Blomfeld Street/Octagon Arcade on your link

That's good to know. I've always used the escalator.
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

« Reply #7 on: 17 August, 2008, 08:19:26 pm »
IIRC (and it's 3 or 4 years since I used it), there's a walkway that runs down the side of platform 1 and emerges into the station next to the Boots shop.

The trouble is that it starts in Exchange Square, which is over the end of the platforms, so it's a bit of a drag if you're approaching the station from the south.  The path runs below Sun Street Passage.

« Reply #8 on: 17 August, 2008, 09:33:57 pm »
From the south, you can go in off Bishopsgate and down the lift. :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #9 on: 18 August, 2008, 01:21:21 pm »
There's also a lift. As you come out of the ticket office, turn right and it should be facing you somewhere (sorry, haven't been in there for ages).

At the upper level, the lift emerges from the war memorial behind the golden arches.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Snugsy

« Reply #10 on: 18 August, 2008, 02:19:48 pm »
Is it actually possible to get to the platform at Liverpool Street Station without having to carry your bike down the stairs, or use an escalator? (The escalator probably being a bit dodgy with a bike).  I guess there are lifts somewhere, but is there actually some way to walk in, and just be at the correct level?  When I popped in there to pick up some tickets, I asked one of the bright yellow "customer advisers", who couldn't come up with a suggestion.

The lift is by the war memorial. Walk in past McDonalds and turn right.