Author Topic: Dogs and psyclepaths  (Read 1959 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Dogs and psyclepaths
« on: 17 August, 2008, 06:29:37 pm »
Dog hit on cyclepath.  No-one injured

This is currently exciting the trolls on u.r.c., but dogs (on extending leads or on the loose) and cyclepaths really don't mix.  The last time I crashed was due to an Alsatian jumping out in front of me.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: Dogs and psyclepaths
« Reply #1 on: 17 August, 2008, 06:35:08 pm »
"Mixed use path not very good shock"

(Boodly trolls on urc could at least snip a bit too)
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #2 on: 17 August, 2008, 06:35:43 pm »

This is currently exciting the trolls on u.r.c., but dogs (on extending leads or on the loose) and cyclepaths really don't mix.  The last time I crashed was due to an Alsatian jumping out in front of me.

Old news anyway ::-)

Just about all of the incidents or near misses I've had with dogs were because they were not under any kind of control. Pretty much every time I've been ok because I slowed down and took real care while the fuckwit owners say things like " heel, get here, come, get here now, Rover, get here,  heel"  while the dog studiously ignores them and just carries on getting in the way.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 17 August, 2008, 06:45:05 pm »
I take it the journalist is not related to anyone here  ;)

Of course, the headline should be

"DOZY DOG-WALKING PRAM PUSHER COLLIDES WITH CYCLIST"

;) ;D

Yorkshireman

• The Meaning of Life is ...
  • North Hykeham. Lincoln.
    • Yorkshireman's Ramblings
« Reply #4 on: 17 August, 2008, 07:51:38 pm »
u.rc. used to be interesting, informing and entertaining. I don't understand why certain regulars bother with the trolls (though I was taken in initially be the alleged female one, and spent a little time and effort on replying to 'it') ... unless said regulars are enjoying it  :-\

Colin N.

Lincolnshire is mostly flat ... but the wind is mostly in your face.

« Reply #5 on: 17 August, 2008, 08:02:50 pm »
Most dogs are relatively smart, and will generally not get in the way of cyclists.  I wish I could say the same of people walking dogs.

In order of descending level of danger on cycle paths I'd say:

People with pushchairs and prams
People with dogs on leads
Small children
Dogs

I've met any number of pushchair and pram pushers who are wandering along oblivious to the world about them, talking on the phone, staring off into the direction opposite from where they are going etc

Dog walkers with extending leads are almost as bad.

Admittedly, you have to be careful of small dogs, especially in the autumn when a small brown stealth dog amongst lots of brown leaves can be a challenge to spot, but most of the time they aren't a big problem.

Cycle paths have to be treated like roads, or even more so, ie you assume that people and/or things are going to do the most stupidly dangerous thing that they can, and most of the time you'll be wrong, but occasionally it saves you, and other people from a world of hurt.

Hitting most digs isn't going to be a pain free event, they aren't always that small an object, and that's aside from the fact that I really don't want to injure an animal who has done nothing wrong, unlike all to often, it's owner.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #6 on: 17 August, 2008, 08:16:48 pm »

Yes, I enjoyed that one. Not a trace of irony.
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #7 on: 17 August, 2008, 09:03:00 pm »
"Ken Barker, secretary of Cardiff Cycling Campaign, believes both cyclists and dog-walkers need to have more respect for each other"

Woof woof!

I ride along the Taff Trail every now and again. The worst thing about it is having to clean the dogshit off your tyres.  ::-)

« Reply #8 on: 17 August, 2008, 09:16:15 pm »
My grate mate Caz was skating in Hyde Park on the Serpentine Road, and came across a dozy woman walking a dog with long lead, on the phone, and not paying attention to anyone whilst the dog caused mayhem.

He got the dog's attention, and got it to follow him whilst he skated round and round her.  He got to five circuits before the woman noticed, and was then rather pissed off with him!!!!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Pete

« Reply #9 on: 18 August, 2008, 08:31:28 am »
Well, I was bitten by a dog on a psychlepath (bridle path, actually).  On a lead, in the presence of its owners.  Some things you can't be prepared for.  But I agree: I get jittery if I see a dog on a long expanding lead, alongside a busy road....

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #10 on: 18 August, 2008, 03:58:49 pm »
Most dogs are relatively smart, and will generally not get in the way of cyclists.  I wish I could say the same of people walking dogs.

In order of descending level of danger on cycle paths I'd say:

People with pushchairs and prams
People with dogs on leads
Small children
Dogs

Where would you rank 'idiots on bikes'?
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

DanialW

« Reply #11 on: 18 August, 2008, 04:08:55 pm »
What's U.R.C.?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12 on: 18 August, 2008, 04:11:19 pm »
What's U.R.C.?

uk.rec.cycling, a usenet newsgroup where I used to post lots.
Now in decline.

DanialW

« Reply #13 on: 18 August, 2008, 04:13:14 pm »
Ah, Usenet.

How 20th Century.

« Reply #14 on: 18 August, 2008, 07:11:11 pm »
Ah, Usenet.

How 20th Century.

Indeed. Today is the 5466th September 1993.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #15 on: 19 August, 2008, 09:15:53 am »
Where would you rank 'idiots on bikes'?

LOL. good point. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.