Author Topic: This weather is rubbish  (Read 3604 times)

This weather is rubbish
« on: 18 August, 2008, 06:01:34 am »
I am very lucky to have a very comfortable winter bike.
I didn't expect to be using it anywhere near as much as I am at this time of year however.
The weather is rubbish.
The only upsides to this rain is it does make everything appear cleaner and I like the 'hairmist' type of rain - always have.  It is prettier although it quite often gets you more wet.

We need the sun to shine.  Just now and then would be nice.  Is it too much to ask?
Soon it will be dark nights again and so far we've only had a week of nice weather.

When the sun shines this country lifts - the mood lightens - people smile easily.

Come on Mother Nature, give us a break.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: This weather is rubbish
« Reply #1 on: 18 August, 2008, 06:39:43 am »
I don't know what's worse - bad weather or bad weather forecasts.  I could have done a lot more on the bike at the weekend, but it was forecast to tip it down so I didn't go very far.  In the end it stayed dry until dusk yesterday.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2 on: 18 August, 2008, 07:27:03 am »
French weather forecasts are no better.  They tell me it won't rain so I take some more tiles off the roof I am re-tiling and lo! It rains.  Maybe it's all my fault :o
Move Faster and Bake Things

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 18 August, 2008, 07:31:20 am »
Grub's right about the mood lift. This is especially noticeable in seaside towns. Suddenly a beach culture emerges. I think we've had about 3 days of it this year.

It's about three years since I've spent beautiful warm balmy summers' evenings sitting in the garden drinking beer and getting bitten by mosquitoes.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4 on: 18 August, 2008, 08:06:57 am »
I don't know what you're all complaining about. It hasn't rained here since Friday.  :-\
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5 on: 18 August, 2008, 02:08:28 pm »
Still, it's staying light surprisingly late for November, isn't it?
 ???
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #6 on: 18 August, 2008, 02:16:53 pm »
I didn't mind the fine mist today, I actually had one of the best rides in ever! It does make keeping the bike clean a right hassle though.

More sunlight would be much appriciated  :(
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #7 on: 18 August, 2008, 03:01:02 pm »
More sunlight would be much appriciated  :(
As would not having to have to clean the chain almost every weekend so far this year.  If I wanted to do that I'd have taken up cyclo-cross. :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

gonzo

« Reply #8 on: 18 August, 2008, 03:06:02 pm »
Spare a thought for farmers who basically can't combine unless the crops are dry!

« Reply #9 on: 18 August, 2008, 03:16:11 pm »
I've decided to make up my own weather forecasts:

I can live with the disappointment when it proves to be wrong.  At least I get the anticipation of sunshine.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #10 on: 18 August, 2008, 04:11:53 pm »
I've decided to make up my own weather forecasts:
;D

I'd like a version of Ceefax BBci-thingummy that used the Fast Show weather girl:

Scorchio!

Always makes me smile ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #11 on: 18 August, 2008, 10:34:10 pm »
I can't get a lift to work these 2 weeks so have to cycle every day, I think I've got drenched more so far than during the whole of the last 5 years.  As well as the almost complete lack of sunshine there's been a strong breeze every single day bar a couple  for the whole of the summer - it's like living next to the coast without the smell of salt,  I've normally got a 10mph+ crosswind there and back and have had some nasty headwinds too.

« Reply #12 on: 18 August, 2008, 11:04:51 pm »
Yep, windy for me too. 

« Reply #13 on: 18 August, 2008, 11:06:55 pm »
I agree Grub. What a pain!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #14 on: 19 August, 2008, 08:36:15 pm »
It is really is seriously completely totally without a shadow of a doubt absolute exhaustively, intensively, thoroughly unmitigated crap.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #15 on: 19 August, 2008, 08:37:43 pm »
Trust me - it's going to get better towards the end of the week - I'm going away on holiday.

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

bobajobrob

« Reply #16 on: 19 August, 2008, 08:50:31 pm »
It does make keeping the bike clean a right hassle though.

I don't know what you mean. My bikes get cleaner when it rains ;D I actually find myself getting disappointed by the muck getting washed off. Did I mention I like dirty bikes? :thumbsup:

Keeping bikes clean is a losing battle. My advice is don't bother. Once you enjoy the dirt you'll find yourself riding through every puddle and dirt patch you can find, and loving it :thumbsup:

LindaG

« Reply #17 on: 21 August, 2008, 09:14:56 am »
Yup, the weather has been pants, rubbish, poo, bad, bummy, wet, miserable.

Except when I can't go out.  Like, today when I have just got home from a night shift and will not cycle because I would be too tired.

It's glorious out there.

Huh.

If you like I'll post my work rota once a month, it'll help you plan your rides around the nice weather.

Would it help?

spindrift

« Reply #18 on: 21 August, 2008, 11:06:17 am »
It's suppose to be a truism that, were you to commute for an hour, every day, same time, you only get rained on 12 times in a year.

this may well be bum gravy, wettest August for 100 years.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #19 on: 21 August, 2008, 01:44:09 pm »
It's suppose to be a truism that, were you to commute for an hour, every day, same time, you only get rained on 12 times in a year.
Yeah, I'd come across that 'fact' a year or so back.  I thought it was b*ll*cks then and I have yet to be persuaded otherwise.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #20 on: 21 August, 2008, 03:27:02 pm »
I'm on Holiday!  North Cornwall.  Grey (but light grey) sky, almost no breeze, some waves on the Atlantic Ocean (which is packed full of paddlers, surfers, canoeists etc).

So not really rubbish here.   It'd better not get worse, as new windows are being fitted tomorrow, and I really don't want to have to mop up any more rainwater from inside the house.

The last few weeks' work have been in windowless equipment rooms all across the country, so I've not noticed whether it's been fine, feisty or filthy.  Sun would be nice now though.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Jacomus

« Reply #21 on: 21 August, 2008, 03:33:34 pm »

Well, I commute at the same time for an hour each way, so lets expect I get rained on 24times.

It has been 7 times so far. I've been doing this route for two months. Doesn't look good does it?  :-\
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #22 on: 21 August, 2008, 03:36:53 pm »

Well, I commute at the same time for an hour each way, so lets expect I get rained on 24times.

It has been 7 times so far. I've been doing this route for two months. Doesn't look good does it?  :-\

Isn't this a quotism from Richard Ballantine, who qualified it by saying commute in London?

I reckon that this is the wettest August for almost a year. Remember the PBP reports.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jacomus

« Reply #23 on: 21 August, 2008, 03:52:43 pm »

Isn't this a quotism from Richard Ballantine, who qualified it by saying commute in London?

I reckon that this is the wettest August for almost a year. Remember the PBP reports.

London is where I live and work

« Reply #24 on: 21 August, 2008, 09:08:45 pm »
Bah, just got absolutely drenched for the second night in a row.  :(  My year-round bad weather gear - thin wool jumper, wooly hat and pertex top, normally sees me right through all but the coldest spells - was proving inadequate tonight.