Author Topic: Trek Domane  (Read 22211 times)

Re: Trek Domane
« Reply #125 on: February 12, 2017, 08:33:52 pm »
Mine will be a SL6 disc with the carbon bars could not bring myself to spend the extra on the slr plus extra for the wheels , I did go in to buy a none disc version but they convinced me to go the disc route as it will be used as my new All weather  bike , I'm not yet sure I will use it for LEL as it will be a good bit heavier than the Synapse but it will be interesting to decide.

« Reply #126 on: February 13, 2017, 09:38:52 pm »
I have to say it is a truly comfortable speed machine but I have to say that the 5.2 deserves better wheels
Passionate about ebikes, sometimes I write about it

« Reply #127 on: February 16, 2017, 04:50:55 pm »
I have the SLR7 Disc and it is the best bike I have ever ridden.  I love through axle.  Compared to QR they are just so much more stable and I believe essential with discs.  I previously had a BMC GF01 with discs and QR.  They were a nightmare to get properly closed without disc rub.

The wheels are not the best but the frame plus 32mm tyres is amazing.  I reckon you could put 32mm gravel tyres on and heavy an amazing gravel bike.  I have taken it to places I would hesitate to take previous bikes and have complete confidence in it.

If I was going to plan something longer and hillier than LEL I would think about super compact but otherwise it is faultless

« Reply #128 on: February 16, 2017, 06:55:46 pm »
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:j7pTkRNg7bEJ:www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/trek-emonda-disc-2017-49203/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

They've managed to erase it from most places, but my LBS confirmed that they'd heard about this - Emonda with decoupler and discs for next year. I asked whether the Madone would get the same treatment. Not heard, but they pointed out that Domane for classics, Madone for the flat, Emonda for the hills - it's got to be likely.

Was told not to expect clearance for guards on a disc madone, which means much as I'd like one, a disc Madone with all the aero gubbins should stay off my wishlist.

« Reply #129 on: February 17, 2017, 08:38:05 am »
I will have to wait till next month for mine as no stock in 56s and while I'm on has anyone used the R2 tyres that come on it?

« Reply #130 on: February 17, 2017, 12:34:41 pm »
My SLR6 came with the R3 Hard Case Lite in 32's - their web site still notes the R3's have they changed ?

The R3's seem good to me, grip well and roll well, the bike seems to float over most bumps etc, I keep the pressures at about 80ish - not used them in winter as its my summer bike.

I'm interested in going tubeless but the only 32's Bontrager do are AW2HCL TLR - has anybody tried these ? none of their fast/light tubeless range seem to be available in 32's, but a bit extra punture protection is no bad thing !

« Reply #131 on: February 17, 2017, 02:12:49 pm »
No, only the AW3 HCLs, which are better than GP4000iis for grip, IME, but wear double quick.

Difficult one.

I'm going to be running bon jons on Grails initially, then try Schwalbe Pro Ones, either on some of Mikes wide 30mm carbon rims or some LBC 46mm carbon rims.

« Reply #132 on: February 19, 2017, 08:23:07 am »
If I was going to plan something longer and hillier than LEL I would think about super compact but otherwise it is faultless

I'm building a bike from an SLR disc frameset at the moment, and my plans for a super compact were scuppered by the front derailleur hanger, which only allows a FD position low enough for the cage to sit nicely over a normal compact (or maybe a 48/32 would work?). Instead I'm going with a 12/36T cassette and a roadlink to get lower gearing.

« Reply #133 on: February 21, 2017, 06:51:26 pm »
Interesting.  I have a compact and about 5mm further to drop.  I look forward to hearing about your 12/36.