Author Topic: Trek Domane  (Read 24761 times)

Re: Trek Domane
« Reply #125 on: February 12, 2017, 08:33:52 pm »
Mine will be a SL6 disc with the carbon bars could not bring myself to spend the extra on the slr plus extra for the wheels , I did go in to buy a none disc version but they convinced me to go the disc route as it will be used as my new All weather  bike , I'm not yet sure I will use it for LEL as it will be a good bit heavier than the Synapse but it will be interesting to decide.

« Reply #126 on: February 13, 2017, 09:38:52 pm »
I have to say it is a truly comfortable speed machine but I have to say that the 5.2 deserves better wheels
Passionate about ebikes, sometimes I write about it

« Reply #127 on: February 16, 2017, 04:50:55 pm »
I have the SLR7 Disc and it is the best bike I have ever ridden.  I love through axle.  Compared to QR they are just so much more stable and I believe essential with discs.  I previously had a BMC GF01 with discs and QR.  They were a nightmare to get properly closed without disc rub.

The wheels are not the best but the frame plus 32mm tyres is amazing.  I reckon you could put 32mm gravel tyres on and heavy an amazing gravel bike.  I have taken it to places I would hesitate to take previous bikes and have complete confidence in it.

If I was going to plan something longer and hillier than LEL I would think about super compact but otherwise it is faultless

« Reply #128 on: February 16, 2017, 06:55:46 pm »
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:j7pTkRNg7bEJ:www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/trek-emonda-disc-2017-49203/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

They've managed to erase it from most places, but my LBS confirmed that they'd heard about this - Emonda with decoupler and discs for next year. I asked whether the Madone would get the same treatment. Not heard, but they pointed out that Domane for classics, Madone for the flat, Emonda for the hills - it's got to be likely.

Was told not to expect clearance for guards on a disc madone, which means much as I'd like one, a disc Madone with all the aero gubbins should stay off my wishlist.

« Reply #129 on: February 17, 2017, 08:38:05 am »
I will have to wait till next month for mine as no stock in 56s and while I'm on has anyone used the R2 tyres that come on it?

« Reply #130 on: February 17, 2017, 12:34:41 pm »
My SLR6 came with the R3 Hard Case Lite in 32's - their web site still notes the R3's have they changed ?

The R3's seem good to me, grip well and roll well, the bike seems to float over most bumps etc, I keep the pressures at about 80ish - not used them in winter as its my summer bike.

I'm interested in going tubeless but the only 32's Bontrager do are AW2HCL TLR - has anybody tried these ? none of their fast/light tubeless range seem to be available in 32's, but a bit extra punture protection is no bad thing !

« Reply #131 on: February 17, 2017, 02:12:49 pm »
No, only the AW3 HCLs, which are better than GP4000iis for grip, IME, but wear double quick.

Difficult one.

I'm going to be running bon jons on Grails initially, then try Schwalbe Pro Ones, either on some of Mikes wide 30mm carbon rims or some LBC 46mm carbon rims.

« Reply #132 on: February 19, 2017, 08:23:07 am »
If I was going to plan something longer and hillier than LEL I would think about super compact but otherwise it is faultless

I'm building a bike from an SLR disc frameset at the moment, and my plans for a super compact were scuppered by the front derailleur hanger, which only allows a FD position low enough for the cage to sit nicely over a normal compact (or maybe a 48/32 would work?). Instead I'm going with a 12/36T cassette and a roadlink to get lower gearing.

« Reply #133 on: February 21, 2017, 06:51:26 pm »
Interesting.  I have a compact and about 5mm further to drop.  I look forward to hearing about your 12/36.

« Reply #134 on: March 01, 2017, 09:44:34 am »
See they have put all the prices up in the last week or so fortunately after I ordered mine.

« Reply #135 on: March 01, 2017, 01:07:33 pm »
I saw! The bike I have claimed for on insurance (SL6 Disc) has gone up £200 - will need to tell them.

« Reply #136 on: March 14, 2017, 09:48:06 am »
I will put this here as well as the disc topic as it relates to my new Domane.
Will post a review and my thoughts after a few more rides and after a bit of fettling.

I have a question with regards to the front righthand shifting on my new Trek Domane .
It's a RS 685 shifter , on the upshift sweep (going small to big at the back) I'm only able to shift two gears at a time (I can only get two clicks in a complete sweep of the leaver)🙁 All my previous shimano leavers( or sram/campag) have let me shift three in one go .
So the question is do I have a faulty shifter or is two clicks/shifts all I'm getting? Per sweep of the lever.

Also on the inner shift leaver/ so for going big to small at the back I have 35mm of free play before I get to the click to change gear 😳

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #137 on: March 14, 2017, 10:08:06 am »
It's a RS 685 shifter , on the upshift sweep (going small to big at the back) I'm only able to shift two gears at a time (I can only get two clicks in a complete sweep of the leaver)🙁 All my previous shimano leavers( or sram/campag) have let me shift three in one go .
So the question is do I have a faulty shifter or is two clicks/shifts all I'm getting? Per sweep of the lever.

Also on the inner shift leaver/ so for going big to small at the back I have 35mm of free play before I get to the click to change gear 😳

That does sound like it could be faulty, or at very least badly set up. I've not used one very recently but I'm sure the RS685 levers are supposed to allow three clicks as per your previous experience.

« Reply #138 on: March 14, 2017, 12:58:21 pm »
Don't think it's the set up as even if I release the cable out of the rear mech so there's no tension on the cable there's still only two clicks at the lever.
Shop does not seem to know🤔

« Reply #139 on: March 14, 2017, 04:05:24 pm »
Your levers seem fine to me - exactly how my SLR6 Ultegra is set up - my Genesis also has the same levers (before they introduced the larger 105 types) running a 11speed 105 gearset and that operates exactly the same.

I was tempted by the Di2 where you can blitz up and down changes but a bit pricey so I went with the mechanical set up which does work well.

Hope you enjoy the bikes ride - I'm waiting for better weather before bringing mine out of hibernation !

« Reply #140 on: March 15, 2017, 08:23:05 am »
Thanks for the reply Aeolus was just a bit shocked as all my old 10speed shimano groupsets 105 and Tiagra shift 3 , but its good to know it's not faulty .

« Reply #141 on: March 25, 2017, 11:05:41 am »
Just pulled the trigger on an SL6   :thumbsup:   collect next week.   gonna have to make some space in the garage though :facepalm:

« Reply #142 on: March 25, 2017, 01:24:13 pm »
They have it in the custom matt red with the Vision wheels in my LBS. It looks fantastic.

« Reply #143 on: March 25, 2017, 08:09:14 pm »
Sounds nice, and it'll be faster because it's red!    I've gone for the standard Black and white, which is understated but quite nice although the white saddle and bar tape will probably go , saddle straight away, bar tape later ( if I can put up with the mismatch  ;D)   

I considered a few different models and a few other makes of bike ( Cervelo C3 was next favourite)   but the SL6 disc really hits a sweet spot of features and standard equipment.  I'm off to read the tubeless for dummies thread now!

« Reply #144 on: March 26, 2017, 11:33:15 pm »
Two wraps of Gorilla 25mm width - if your rims are narrower, it tears perfectly
Stans valves - poke them through the tape, and then press with your thumb, and tighten down with a pair of pliers.
Orange endurance sealant

I used a track pump plus a Beto inflator - http://road.cc/content/review/219192-beto-cja-001s-tubeless-air-tank-inflator

Done 4 tyres so far using that recipe - up first time, and stayed up.

Orange Seal tape and valves are utter rubbish, but the sealant seems fine. I only got it because I use Compass tyres and Jan Heine claims his tyres were designed for use with it.

« Reply #145 on: March 27, 2017, 12:28:57 pm »
I've used Gorilla on mtb rims, but would prefer something a bit less stretchy on road rims. I've got some tape I bought in bulk (like the Effeto Mariposa tape) or you can get Tesa 4298 (or some such) if you like Stans. Also, Gorila will leave adhesive on your rims.

Aidan, if you're near Harrogate I can put a couple of wraps of tape on your rims some time of course.

« Reply #146 on: March 27, 2017, 01:01:34 pm »
Good to know there are other tapes that work reliably - I only went with Gorilla becuase it's what my LBS workshop uses in preference to the stuff they sell. Orange Seal tape is useless

« Reply #147 on: March 27, 2017, 06:03:43 pm »
I will give you a update on my SL6 disc and bear in mind these are my personal views
First thing the price now retail is £3700 I paid just over £3000 they increase the retail £200 in the last few weeks.

Weight mine weighs 8.580kg as it came ( no pedals) cycling plus weighed a SL5 at 8.450kg go figure ,don't trust what magazines say.

The isocore bar on this model is nothing more than some eva foam on top of the alloy bars , I changed mine for a carbon fsa one I already had it's makes a good deal of difference I cannot really say the front isospeed does much that I can tell but it's a good ride even on 25mm tyres ,which brings me to..

The Vison carbon wheels 40mm deep ,came with 90mm valved tubes 🤔Look daft long,
32mm R2 tyres nice and grippy but far far to big (wide) for the rims , they catch the wind badly much worse than a deeper zipp303 with 28mm tyres I would not want to descend fleetmoss on them and I'm used to deep section wheels, I put 25mm contis on them and they are fine, if you want to run 32s get some shallower rims or eat some pies to get over 75 to 80kg 😛

With regard to the tyres the 32mm weigh 125g each more than cont 25mm 4seasons (that's tyres and tubes) that's a lot of weight .

The bottom bracket is solid no flex that I can feel , the isospeed rear takes the sting out of the road better than my synapse with 28mm fitted the front is also less firm than said synapse even with the trek on 25mm tyres so maybe that fork does do something.

Mine came with a full Ultegra groupset other than the BR685 hydraulic shifters, the brakes are great but...
The shifters are at best Tiagra quality (in my opinion) at best.
The right shifter has 35mm of free play on the inner leaver(downshift))before you get to click a gear and you can't adjust it out , the worse we have on any of our other bikes is 20mm on out old Tiagra tourers .
The right outer shifter (upshift) freeplay fine but for the full sweep you can only change 2gears up the rear cassette, I have never had anything that did less than 3 .
Left hand shifter works fine but is heavier to shift up the front chainring than any of your other bikes.

I had to put spiral wrap around the cables in the down tube (there is a inspection cover under the front bottle cage so you can get at them) it sounded like a bag of spanners in there until I did that.

The rear cassette was not tight on the hub 🙈

If you get it from a decent shop some of these points will hopefully be sorted but the std build is let's say lacking.

It will make a very good winter and wet weather bike but .... if I had to choose again I would have bought the SL6 or SLR none disc I think that is the best value and a lot lighter.
If I was going disc it would be cable or electronic or Sram but these are just my thoughts

« Reply #148 on: March 27, 2017, 06:35:29 pm »
Two wraps of Gorilla 25mm width - if your rims are narrower, it tears perfectly
Stans valves - poke them through the tape, and then press with your thumb, and tighten down with a pair of pliers.
Orange endurance sealant

I used a track pump plus a Beto inflator - http://road.cc/content/review/219192-beto-cja-001s-tubeless-air-tank-inflator

Done 4 tyres so far using that recipe - up first time, and stayed up.

Orange Seal tape and valves are utter rubbish, but the sealant seems fine. I only got it because I use Compass tyres and Jan Heine claims his tyres were designed for use with it.

Cool, I've got Stans tape and sealant in the garage ready to do my Orange P7, just not got round to it yet.  Definitely need an inflator though,

Aidan, if you're near Harrogate I can put a couple of wraps of tape on your rims some time of course.

Thanks :thumbsup: appreciate the offer, but I think I'm ok with the Stans tape that I have.

Bikes in the shop being built up so getting a bit excited now  :P

« Reply #149 on: March 27, 2017, 06:51:39 pm »
@pieman thanks for the write up. The SL6 is what my i am claiming for, but the LBS are saying i should stretch for the slr6. I definitely want to run big tyres, so your views on the visions is really helpful.