Author Topic: The Schools went back today  (Read 3542 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
The Schools went back today
« on: 19 August, 2008, 09:00:17 am »
My Karma has taken a hit.

It is p*****g down with rain. It is the first day of school in Dundee. I am dropping my daughter off by tandem.

Very wet (did I mention that)? Very slowly down West Park Road (steep, a stream in this weather and a tandem with standard V-brakes). A gaggle of cars at the bottom. Rachel hops off, the cars in front are waiting to turn left a long way out from the corner. I slowly creep up the inside and...

Yup, two passenger doors swing open. One gets shoved back closed with a shout and they are informed of the desirability of looking before they open car doors. The response of 'calm down' didn't go down too well. 'Calm down? I'm the one you nearly seriously hurt..'

Then head past and leave them in the traffic.

I need a coffee..

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Pete

Re: The Schools went back today
« Reply #1 on: 19 August, 2008, 10:02:34 am »
In school-run territory (which is, I presume, where you were), I'd be ready to expect just that, I'm afraid.  Such is life.

Once I did, I suppose, get the better of such an incident (we were both stationary and I just got a slight knock on the hand).  It was at (light controlled) ped. crossing just in front of the station.  I seized the door and spoke right across the child, addressing the mother in the driving seat.  "TELL YOUR CHILD TO GET BACK IN HER SEAT.  CLOSE THE DOOR.  DRIVE ON.  FIND A PROPER PARKING SPACE.  PARK PROPERLY AND SAFELY.  THEN AND ONLY THEN ALLOW YOUR CHILD TO GET OUT".

She complied with my request  :o :thumbsup:.  At least, she drove on, child still in car, and appeared to indeed be looking for a parking space further down the road...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 19 August, 2008, 10:06:42 am »
I think it's reasonable for a driver to get his vehicle to the KERB before unloading passengers, whether there is a parking bay, double yellows or whatever.

Surely that's common sense, and good for the safety of your passengers?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #3 on: 19 August, 2008, 12:57:27 pm »
Ok devils advocate:

Firstly did you stop in a proper place for you child to disembark the tandem? :demon:

How close was the car to the kerb?  Was the left indicator on because it was stoped and wanting to pull in?  Did the vehicle stop and then the doors open?  Or was it more stop start traffic situation?  Were you in the c pillar blind spot so the passengers couldn't see you?  Were the passengers getting out, children or adults?

David Martin

« Reply #4 on: 19 August, 2008, 01:21:14 pm »
Ok devils advocate:

Firstly did you stop in a proper place for you child to disembark the tandem? :demon:

Of course. I made sure that she didn't open the door endangering any other road users..

How close was the car to the kerb?
4 ft.
Was the left indicator on because it was stoped and wanting to pull in? 
no
Did the vehicle stop and then the doors open?  Or was it more stop start traffic situation?  Were you in the c pillar blind spot so the passengers couldn't see you?  Were the passengers getting out, children or adults?

In a queue of traffic (second car from the front.) Passengers were mid secondary age kids. Not in the blind spot in that I could see the driver.

..d
[/quote]

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #5 on: 19 August, 2008, 01:34:15 pm »
Ok devils advocate:

Of course. I made sure that she didn't open the door endangering any other road users..

4 ft.
no
Did the vehicle stop and then the doors open?  Or was it more stop start traffic situation?  Were you in the c pillar blind spot so the passengers couldn't see you?  Were the passengers getting out, children or adults?

In a queue of traffic (second car from the front.) Passengers were mid secondary age kids. Not in the blind spot in that I could see the driver.

..d
[/quote]

Hola I ment blind spot of the passenger.  Did the driver know the kids were getting out

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #6 on: 19 August, 2008, 01:39:24 pm »
Ok devils advocate:

4 ft.
no

..d

Hola I ment blind spot of the passenger.  Did the driver know the kids were getting out

I think that is the most stupid thing I've ever seen you say.

:o

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #7 on: 19 August, 2008, 01:42:16 pm »
Ok devils advocate:

4 ft.
no

..d

Which one?  And why is it stupid?

Next time you are a passneger in the front or back of a car have a look round and see what a blind spot the b and c pillars make.  Also note not having mirrors to see along the length of the car, you don't know whats comming up so an easy way is to open the door and look.

Asking David opinion as to wether the driver knew the people were getting out or not, to me is a natural progrettion from how close to the kerb was the car.

« Reply #8 on: 19 August, 2008, 01:46:35 pm »

How is he supposed to know whether the driver knew that or not?

We've done this before. The driver is responsible (in law) for making sure that passengers do not open doors in the path of pedestrians or cyclists.

It's also a good idea for cyclists to assume (like David did) that the door could open regardless of this.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #9 on: 19 August, 2008, 01:47:51 pm »
Ok devils advocate:

4 ft.
no

..d

Which one?  And why is it stupid?

Did the driver know whether the kids were getting out.

Firstly, if you've ever tried driving with kids, you know when they're getting out.  Silent escape is not their usual mode.  

Secondly, it's the driver's job to know what the kids are doing if they're in the back.  The driver can child-lock the back doors, or lock all of the doors, if there's a chance they might make a bid for freedom unexpectedly.  Insinuating that the driver might not be at fault because they didn't know the kids were getting out is (a) unlikely and (b) irrelevant.  

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #10 on: 19 August, 2008, 01:53:30 pm »
Lynx, if the devil does need an advocate, I'm sure he could afford a better one than you!  ;) :-*
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #11 on: 19 August, 2008, 01:57:56 pm »
Lynx, if the devil does need an advocate, I'm sure he could afford a better one than you!  ;) :-*

David Martin

« Reply #12 on: 19 August, 2008, 01:58:35 pm »
Both doors swung open at the same time. My guess is the driver said 'quick, hop out now whilst we are stationary' and hadn't bothered to check properly.

..d

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #13 on: 19 August, 2008, 02:03:16 pm »

=^._.^=

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #14 on: 19 August, 2008, 02:12:07 pm »
Both doors swung open at the same time. My guess is the driver said 'quick, hop out now whilst we are stationary' and hadn't bothered to check properly.

..d

May be truthfull.

Well I thought you might have been 'gutter running' and trying to squeeze past a car that was indicating may be to pull in.  This is IMO if the gap was less than 2 foot from the car to the kerb.  But four feet IMO is excessive, and not really pulled over to drop someone off.  Glad you weren't hurt and hopefully the passengers will learn.

IMO around schools at opening and closing times you take your life in your own hands.

In london this is a common issue with black cab passengers in a hurry getting out of cabs in traffic and not looking.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: 19 August, 2008, 02:21:17 pm »
Not the last time I was inna black cab it wasn't.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #16 on: 19 August, 2008, 02:25:02 pm »

Yes, but you have a brain.

I get an attempted dooring from a passenger exiting a cab about once a month. Usually on my way home coming up to Chelsea Bridge. They get stuck in traffic at the lights there and realise that Victoria or Battersea Park stations are only a short walk away.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #17 on: 19 August, 2008, 02:33:58 pm »

Next time it happens I'll make sure its not you. ;D  If it is, I want free wheel rebuilds for life.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #18 on: 19 August, 2008, 02:35:38 pm »

Yes, but you have a brain.

I get an attempted dooring from a passenger exiting a cab about once a month. Usually on my way home coming up to Chelsea Bridge. They get stuck in traffic at the lights there and realise that Victoria or Battersea Park stations are only a short walk away.

I seem to get it once a week usually in lewisham, new cross or brixton.

Then again it is quicker for me to cycle to work than drive a car.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #19 on: 19 August, 2008, 05:15:15 pm »

You must pass through Lewisham and New Cross at different times of day from me; I've never seen anyone get out of a taxi at all...
Not especially helpful or mature

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #20 on: 19 August, 2008, 05:23:55 pm »

You must pass through Lewisham and New Cross at different times of day from me; I've never seen anyone get out of a taxi at all...

A20 by the station seems to be a favourite.