Author Topic: homebrew?  (Read 64291 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: homebrew?
« Reply #225 on: 27 August, 2017, 04:48:19 pm »
Pressed some apples yesterday, 1 gallon of cider going well
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #226 on: 27 August, 2017, 06:26:30 pm »
The St Peter Golden Ale with Belle Saison Yeast test, is turning out to be rather good and at about 3 month down the line, I'm really enjoying it. Sadly constantly quality testing has depleted stock.

The Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone, is turning out to be a pretty good Pale Ale. Haven't tested it against a real one yet. Though I think I would do it again but maybe dry hob it a bit more.

The Marilyn's Secret Blonde IPA, is being tested as I type right now and as always a very good drop.

Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #227 on: 29 August, 2017, 11:21:39 am »
We decanted the crab apple wine last night. Was a bit sharp, but a teaspoon of honey in a glass made it about perfect. Well, we all thought so after a bottle and a half or so. Didn't measure ABV, tasted and felt to be about 8-9% to me.
There is another 6l to be decanted, then we have another 4kg of crab apples in the freezer for another batch.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #228 on: 04 September, 2017, 08:57:14 pm »
Do let me know how the Evil Dog works out, been thinking about that one for a while.

Four days longer in a pot ain't going to hurt it. I have read about people forgetting (how could they?) and bottling it after a few months in the FV.
The Evil Dog is in one word Dangerous.  Not the hoppiest IPA you'll drink but a lovely crisp and clear beverage.  It kicks just as hard as you'd expect for the headline ABV and I call it Dangerous because it doesn't taste stronger than an upper end session beer, upper 4's territory.  One per evening stuff for me bookended by something saner.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

ElyDave

« Reply #229 on: 15 September, 2017, 09:40:40 pm »
8 bottles of cider bottled this evening, plus a bit left over for immediate consumption.   It's the archetypal scrumpy, no punches pulled, around 5.7% based on the SG readings.

Rhubarb wine racked to clear, looking good tasting good. About 11% by SG change

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #230 on: 28 October, 2017, 08:59:28 pm »
Well that was an eventful day!

I set off a Blonde Ale only to find that the seal around the tap had had its day, Managed to stem the flow of beer with some tape. Got a bucket with air lock from the LHBS. Transferred the ale over into the new pot. Got a new tap for the old pot. Were I will transfer the beer back into when the yesties are done and then dry hop.

Then the bread mixer blew up mid mix and filled the kitchen in oily smoke.

ElyDave

« Reply #231 on: 03 November, 2017, 09:36:42 pm »
Tried one of the remaining bottles of my porter, made back in April, it's very dark and rich and had developed an interesting fruity, liquoricy flavour.  6 bottle left.

I've just put in an order for some ingredients as well, I bought a new book of recipes to brew commercial beers, and I'm planning to make a couple of gallons of an Eldridge Pope bitter, and a gallon of a barley wine.

I think I'm a bit late for the barley wine and I might end up storing most of it for next Christmas

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #232 on: 03 November, 2017, 10:19:39 pm »
Dry hopped with Vic Secret today and it taste good already looks like a tad over 6%, for the blonde saison. One week to bottle day and then lets see how long I can keep it in there :)

Started off the Presidents Sierra American Pale Ale – Beerworks Craft Brewery Series - today started off at OG 1047 so right on target.

EDIT TO ADD : Just as I posted this, the first bit of bubbling from the air-lock happened and it spooked the dog :)

ElyDave

« Reply #233 on: 08 November, 2017, 01:23:14 pm »
Clone brews started, yesterday one gallon of a barley wine Thomas Hardy's Ale, made as closely as possible, but without going daft on the extra ingredients.

Made it with a Belgian high alcohol tolerance yeast as I couldn't get the recommended English yeast.  Slightly disappointed that the OG is a bit on the low side, but should still hit the 10% mark hopefully.  Always difficult adjusting recipe quantities like that.  A nice ruby red colour I think.  I have 330ml bottles for it.

Second one, also Eldridge Pope, Royal Oak Bitter, again as close as poss, but 2 gals of this one to be bottled for Christmas.  Smelt good in the boil. Whitbread Ale yeast for this one.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #234 on: 10 November, 2017, 11:05:24 am »
Bottled 40 of the "Dirty Marilyn" today at just over 7%, hick. Reason for calling in dirty is that it is my favorite homebrew from Coopers called Marilyn Secret Blonde Ale. That I brew up this time with some spare Perle Barley and Belle Saison yeasties.

ElyDave

« Reply #235 on: 17 November, 2017, 07:42:30 am »
Best bitter was bottled last night, should be about 4.8% by change in gravity.  Quite a dark ruby red and nicely fruity from the bramling cross.

Barley wine was put into its secondary fermenter with some dry hop additions.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #236 on: 25 November, 2017, 07:29:37 pm »
Drinking the Dirty Marilyn and boy we got a winner. Utterly gob smacked that I can brew such a good drink in a pot in a corner of my kitchen.

ElyDave

« Reply #237 on: 25 November, 2017, 07:49:57 pm »
Tried one of my best bitter yesterday, after a week in the bottle, needs a bit longer but carbonating nicely.  Has a very pleasing balance of malt/fruitiness/bitterness, but oddly considering I added nothing other than malt/hops/water/yeast, it's developed a spicy coriander and clove note.

The barley wine is still fermenting

ElyDave

« Reply #238 on: 10 December, 2017, 06:14:10 pm »
Barley wine bottled, got 14 x 330ml bottles, came out around 9% based change in gravity, should have been a bit more.

Tastes nice and rich as it should. Hopefully ready for a try before Christmas, but will continue to mature in the bottle

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #239 on: 12 December, 2017, 01:25:46 am »
Bottled 40 of the "Dirty Marilyn" today at just over 7%, hick. Reason for calling in dirty is that it is my favorite homebrew from Coopers called Marilyn Secret Blonde Ale. That I brew up this time with some spare Perle Barley and Belle Saison yeasties.

That sounds fun! I've just looked at the Coopers website for the recipe and it looks right up my street. The addition of the Belle Saison yeast sounds interesting too. I'm also keen to have another go at the Coopers Saison recipe.

My homebrewing kit has been lying dormant for some time for various reasons. I dug it out back in September and put on a Brewferm Christmas kit, but thought it had stopped prematurely so left it and finally got round to dealing with it last week. Had a quick taste before I poured it down the sink and it seemed surprisingly palatable, so I bottled it. Will be interesting to see how it turns out after maturation. Think it's at about 6% abv. Might be drinkable by next Christmas.

This weekend, I put on two more brews - a Coopers Stout and a Coopers English Bitter. Both are old cans I've had knocking around for ages so somewhat out of date, but nothing ventured... they're both bubbling away nicely in the fermenting vessels and smelling good, so I'm hopeful.

I've been looking at some kits for my next brew. The Beerworks kits look interesting. I'm very tempted by the Sierra Nevada clone.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #240 on: 12 December, 2017, 11:23:29 am »
I have just done the Sierra Nevada clone from BeerWorks, tasting very good mind still very young yet. I hope for peak tasting in two week :)

Yes the Belle Saison to the Marilyn has really created a wonderful drop. I have to restrain myself not because it is over 7% but because there is a limited amount of bottles.

citoyen

« Reply #241 on: 07 January, 2018, 10:31:12 pm »
This weekend, I put on two more brews - a Coopers Stout and a Coopers English Bitter. Both are old cans I've had knocking around for ages so somewhat out of date, but nothing ventured... they're both bubbling away nicely in the fermenting vessels and smelling good, so I'm hopeful.

I kegged the stout just before Christmas, after it had been on the go for four full weeks. It doesn't taste right. Possibly oxidation - not really surprising with the can being so old. It's borderline drinkable but I might just chuck it - I'm not that desperate.

Bottled the bitter today. It's been sitting in the FV for nearly a month and has definitely stopped fermenting. Would have bottled it sooner but haven't had time. Sampled it and it seems a bit more palatable, still not quite right though. Will leave it for a bit to condition and hope it matures into something more drinkable.

Still thinking about what to do next - might have a go at the Dirty Marilyn but probably won't get round to it for a couple of weeks at least...

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #242 on: 07 January, 2018, 11:38:18 pm »
Some stouts need a few months to come into life. If space is not needed I would give a while yet before binning it.

citoyen

« Reply #243 on: 08 January, 2018, 10:16:08 pm »
Some stouts need a few months to come into life. If space is not needed I would give a while yet before binning it.

Good advice, but i don’t think it will keep that long - it’s in one of those cheapo plastic pressure barrels that don’t actually hold pressure very well, so is likely to be exposed to air. I wish I’d bottled it, but it needed dealing with and I didn’t have time for bottling.

ElyDave

« Reply #244 on: 12 January, 2018, 11:18:04 pm »
If it's not a high alcohol content it probably won't last well in the keg. Bottling gives better maturation in the 4-5% abv beers in my experience, kegging is for drinking now. 

As an example I still have a couple of bottles of a porter from May that are drinking nicely now, and a barley wine that I bottled in December which I fully intend to keep until the next Christmas, but that's about 9.5%

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #245 on: 10 February, 2018, 04:49:28 pm »
Hmm my last two brews has become very gassy. I know I used less primer as I have learned that many recipes are often more fizzy/gassy than I like.

They are clearly not polluted as they taste very nice after the head have settled. Glad I got a stein glass and two big 750ml glasses to decanter the 500ml into.

The ones I know I have over primed or were polluted normally his pop and out the bottles the moment I put a bottle opener on the cap. This lot need 2-3 seconds to wake up or only fizz up when I pour, no matter how slow and steady I do it.

citoyen

« Reply #246 on: 15 February, 2018, 08:24:54 pm »
Called in at the homebrew shop earlier to get what I needed for a batch of Coopers Saison. Hoping to get that on the go tomorrow, so it should be ready for drinking by the summer. Came to £40 for all the ingredients, so that works out at about £1 a pint. Quite expensive for a kit brew, but if the results are as good as last time, it will be worth it. Had to get the Muntons Wheat Beer kit though, as they didn't have the Coopers version in stock. I presume they are much of a muchness.

Currently supping one of my Coopers English Bitter that I made before Christmas. It has turned out surprisingly OK - a little bit of a twang to it but drinkable enough. The stout is a write-off though. Not even good enough for cooking with.

I have also sampled a couple of bottles of the Brewferm Xmas that I made a few months ago. Not bad at all, though I think it will definitely benefit from longer maturation.

citoyen

« Reply #247 on: 17 February, 2018, 06:00:45 pm »
Called in at the homebrew shop earlier to get what I needed for a batch of Coopers Saison. Hoping to get that on the go tomorrow...

...and it's already bubbling away nicely. OG of 1063, so should be quite lively.

« Reply #248 on: 27 February, 2018, 01:44:24 pm »
Set a couple of Turbo Ciders away this morning. 3.5l* of apple juice, 0.5l cranberry, cup of tea (4 bags), yeast**, nutrient.

*2l now, 1.5l added in a few days.

** 2 Different yeasts - Gervin and Harris cider yeasts

« Reply #249 on: 27 February, 2018, 03:14:33 pm »
PROTIP.

Don't add a metric fuck-tonne of fermentable sugars in the form of pureed fruit and a sizeable dry hop charge to a fermenter with very little headspace*.

*Raspberry milkshake IPA. Raspberries, vanilla, lactose and a healthy dose of Mosaic.