Author Topic: Back on t'cog  (Read 7838 times)

Chris N

Back on t'cog
« on: 15 October, 2014, 08:39:21 am »
First ride on fixed in over 6 months today.  I hadn't realised just how much I'd missed it over the summer.  So quiet and relaxing. Even the cheeky little 10%er on the way up to Orton didn't feel too bad on 66". :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Back on t'cog
« Reply #1 on: 15 October, 2014, 08:51:59 am »
In the SE corner of your map, I see Sheepy Parva and Sheepy Magna. I'm so delighted to discover these are real villages, rather than the fictional places I'd assumed!  ;D

(Sorry, nothing to say about riding fixed, except riding any bike long unridden does feel good)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 15 October, 2014, 08:58:57 am »
It's a good feeling,  isn't it?
Getting there...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 15 October, 2014, 09:54:03 am »
Having been back in the saddle every day for just over three months now, I get really quite nervous commuting on gears.  I'm smoother and more in control when I'm traffic jamming on the Uxbridge Road when I'm on t'cog.

The nights are getting darker and the roads skoggier and if I'm going to be dealing with wet, chutney-strewn tarmac, I want to be on fixed.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #4 on: 15 October, 2014, 10:03:45 am »
I rode a moderately lumpy 200 in S Wales a short while ago. Made my legs ache. I'm cogitating the possibility of a new fixed frame and wondering whether, given my aging legs, I can justify it.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5 on: 15 October, 2014, 10:08:48 am »
In spite of a Several of months of admittedly intermittent use I'm still finding it tricksy to clip in my trailing foot chiz.  Look delta, since you ask.  No prombles with the Crank Bros Stuffs on the Towpath Bike.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 15 October, 2014, 10:09:19 am »
I'm cogitating the possibility...

I see what you did there  ;D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Chris N

« Reply #7 on: 15 October, 2014, 11:17:30 am »
In the SE corner of your map, I see Sheepy Parva and Sheepy Magna. I'm so delighted to discover these are real villages, rather than the fictional places I'd assumed!  ;D

(Sorry, nothing to say about riding fixed, except riding any bike long unridden does feel good)

I get to ride through both of them on my way to work too.

Having been back in the saddle every day for just over three months now, I get really quite nervous commuting on gears.  I'm smoother and more in control when I'm traffic jamming on the Uxbridge Road when I'm on t'cog.

The nights are getting darker and the roads skoggier and if I'm going to be dealing with wet, chutney-strewn tarmac, I want to be on fixed.

Ha!  Traffic jamming - not here.  Closest I came to that was waiting briefly at the only set of lights for a tractor coming the other way. ;D

Totally agree about the winter bike though.  Fixed, with fat tyres, discs, dynamo lights and mudguards.

« Reply #8 on: 21 October, 2014, 08:31:15 pm »
I rode a moderately lumpy 200 in S Wales a short while ago. Made my legs ache. I'm cogitating the possibility of a new fixed frame and wondering whether, given my aging legs, I can justify it.

Ian H how old are you? I'll be 63 in a couple of months happiest when I'm on t'cog and contemplating a replacement for my Pearson.

« Reply #9 on: 21 October, 2014, 09:24:09 pm »

Ian H how old are you? I'll be 63 in a couple of months happiest when I'm on t'cog and contemplating a replacement for my Pearson.

61, but in Devon, where it's hilly. My comment was related to particular twinges after that ride, but it might only have been lack of fixed miles.

« Reply #10 on: 21 October, 2014, 09:42:05 pm »
First ride on fixed in over 6 months today.  I hadn't realised just how much I'd missed it over the summer. 

Same here for me today. No hills, though - I've got too used to my triple. :-\

« Reply #11 on: 22 October, 2014, 06:09:59 am »
Sounds like an application of rule five is called for and miles need to be got in. :thumbsup:

« Reply #12 on: 01 November, 2014, 10:08:28 pm »
Stop making me jealous you lot! Just because I can't ride fixed any longer doesn't stop it being the finest feeling there is. Sometimes when I take the ss out my legs just wait for the feel of the back pedal coming up on its own. Damn arthritic knees! (and I am still under 60!)

« Reply #13 on: 02 November, 2014, 07:12:06 am »
I've made my porridge, I'm sat here with an orange juice, my fixed is stood in the kitchen, if the rain clears as the weather man says it will I'm of to Desford, Tropical Bird Land, I'm looking forward to putting 55-60 fixed wheel miles in this morning, the geared bike has been put away till spring.

« Reply #14 on: 09 January, 2015, 04:25:46 pm »
First fixed ride since July 28th today. The badge on my jacket says Brevet 400km.Today I rode 40k the first 10 being into a stiff headwind. The bikes geared to 67 inch which is about right.28 mph seemed fast and had me feathering the brakes, but who cares?
I am 54 years old now, but something about riding fixed makes me feel a lot younger.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #15 on: 09 February, 2015, 09:36:53 pm »
i haven't ridden fixed for about two years, since the Goldtec hub on my commuting bike disintegrated and I could only find a Sturmey-Archer 3-speed coaster hub to replace it (no brake mountings on the frame, and even the SA hub needed rebuilding around a not-sold-in-the-UK 175mm axle, expensively and laboriously imported from the USA via the Things).

Actually, I lie: I have ridden the ASC since.  It's for sale now, if anyone is interested.  Much better than an S3X and it's in a modern alloy shell laced to a vintage-looking 36h silver rim.  Photos of the rebuild are on this board.  Also has a shifter.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #16 on: 09 February, 2015, 11:45:19 pm »
Here's the result of my latest fixed ride.

The rope was the bodge that got me home.

« Reply #17 on: 10 February, 2015, 03:38:12 pm »
And you have all you teeth remaining?

« Reply #18 on: 10 February, 2015, 04:16:29 pm »
And you have all you teeth remaining?

It was fine as long as I stayed in the saddle.

« Reply #19 on: 10 February, 2015, 09:19:49 pm »
I'm impressed.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #20 on: 11 February, 2015, 12:57:25 am »
Early contender for the McNasty Award 2015.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #21 on: 11 February, 2015, 09:41:49 am »
Early contender for the McNasty Award 2015.

George and I do share one statistic (but otherwise I am not worthy, etc.).

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22 on: 25 February, 2015, 08:57:16 pm »
 :o
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #23 on: 31 March, 2015, 10:55:13 am »
Good to be back on the Tempo for The Dean 300  :D
Plenty of others on fixed too.

Pic by thesloth

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #24 on: 31 March, 2015, 11:12:27 am »
Are you going to take the fixed on our little jaunt, swiss hat ?