Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 281154 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
I have a fence to mend at one of the rental properties tomorrow

“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Son reckons it's bad in Brum.   Twitter feed swamped by Birmingham Updates reporting trees down all over, bits of buildings blowing down.
Sadly, a woman killed in Wolverhampton.

I'm going to assume Kim,  Natalia, Nikki et al are all safely not on Bikes and at home.
Way in to work I had to get off and walk ... twice.  Way back I went the long/sheltered way, glad I did not go in that way as bits of trees all over the place, two down in about 10 min commute.  Only about 50 mph winds according to the reports, tougher going than the tornado we had 15 years ago.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Calm now but earlier this afternoon next door's garden gate was banging away like Melania Trump and a pilates instructor

Good analogy. Also heard 'banging like a shithouse door in a dysentery outbreak'...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Bah, we had a power cut from yesterday afternoon through to 6:15 this morning...  Any excuse for a takeaway curry  ;D

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Calm now but earlier this afternoon next door's garden gate was banging away like Melania Trump and a pilates instructor

Good analogy. Also heard 'banging like a shithouse door in a dysentery outbreak'...

Or as that great poet Muttley McLad put it "bangs like a shithouse door when the plague's in town"
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

About half a dozen houses in my road have lost ridge tiles including my next door neighbours. Interesting that about 30% of the houses in the road have had replacement roofs in the last 10 years (the whole street dates from the mid 60s) but the wind damage seems to have affected new and old roofs about equally.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

ElyDave

Just got  back from a ride, lots of trees and fences down, lots of debris on the roads.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes

Or as that great poet Muttley McLad put it "bangs like a shithouse door when the plague's in town"

Rapidly heading towards NSFW.

'Vauxhall Viva's covered in rust . . .'
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

ElyDave

I have a fence to mend at one of the rental properties tomorrow

Turned out not to be loose panels, but a fence post completely rotten at the base. The wind was just waggling it about. Nothing I could do with it, odd job man notified.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Ride planned for today so of course we had -3.5°C overnight and freezing fog down in the valley we were planning to ride & probably black ice on cycle track. Stuck here until ~11 am: lots of time get knackered hauling firewood. :(
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
My device recorded 18.9°C this afternoon.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Guy

• Retired
What a difference from Yesterday. If the Trumpaloon spent any time out there today we'd all be singing "Your Tiny Hand Is Frozen"
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Bloody hell.  It's snowing!
Welcome to spring.   :(
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Pdoynng.

Our weather is alternating between downpissing calm and sunny with gale-force winds. Frustrating. I wish March would hurry up and bugger off like a lamb.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

Pdoynng.

Our weather is alternating between downpissing calm and sunny with gale-force winds. Frustrating. I wish March would hurry up and bugger off like a lamb.

+1 on the weather and the sentiment

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
When I started my ride at stupid o'click this morning the pooter claimed the temperature was 0°C. By mid afternoon it was 20°C.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
My machine is recording the temperature at 20.8°C at the moment. Looking back at my records, I have never yet recorded 21°C in March, although 20.9°C has turned up two or three times.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Warmest March I have recorded. Mean temperature 10.2°C. Maximum 21.2°C, which is teh warmest March day I have ever recorded (20th). Only 2 days in which the temperature failed to reach 10°C. One of those was 9.9, the other 9.4. Month's minimum: 4.1°C.

Compare that to March 2013, the coldest I have recorded. Then, the mean was 3.6°C and there were only two days in which the temperature did struggle above 10°C. There were 13 frosts that month.

My machine doesn't record hours of sunshine, unfortunately, but I reckon it was much sunnier than usual.

We've had several weeks without rain, probably the longest dry spell I've experienced in Scotland (I actually saw a LAWN SPRINKLER in use in the gardens at work the other day! :o). However, today all the rain that hasn't fallen in the past few weeks has decided to come all at once to make up for it. :-\

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I expect that decent cycling weather will continue until my wounds have healed...

gws kim :)
the slower you go the more you see

ElyDave

10% of expected March/April rainfall in the east, lawn already turning savannah brown and soil baked hard.

What odds on hosepipe ban, followed by torrential summer?

Chris S

'Tis the same everywhere. The rivers in the Yorkshire Dales are all showing their bottoms - as it were.

2017-05-14_06-39-09 by Chris Smith, on Flickr

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
It was pleasantly warm yesterday. We have lightning now. Is that it for summer?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
A summer without a lightning storm would be missing something!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.