Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 281051 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
We had our dose of 100+ kph wind a couple of hours ago. I was just drying off after my shower when there was a roar like God putting out his wheelie bin & the lights went out. Power back now: everything rechargeable is on a charger, candles & paraffin inventoried. Another tile off this side of the barn - it needs a couple of few thou spent on it but the tax man wants those. :(
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Lightning strike nearby at about 1:09am.  This caused the analogue telephony card in our server to shit itself (which isn't entirely surprising) in a way that asterisk interpreted as one of the extensions dialling 112 (which is).  I saw the outgoing call on the alerting system[1] and leapt out of bed to shut it down.  Impressively, reloading the TDM modules did the job - I didn't have to power-cycle anything, and the phones still work.  No emergency services turned up.

The ambient light sensor on the bathroom alerter started misreading at the same time, leading to tedious nags about leaving the bathroom light on.  This appears to be a hardware problem, which I've yet to fully investigate.  Common sense suggests it's the A/D converter, on the expensive semiconductor principle, but I'm guessing it's the actual sensor, because it's held in place by hot-melt glue and I don't think I've got a spare.

ETA: Normality restored, it was the A/D.  All fixed.

[1] It does this in a rather optimistic attempt to help barakta realise that when I (or anyone else in the house) make an outgoing call I'm on the phone, that the people I'm talking to are the ones I'm phoning and that I can't stop and repeat what she hasn't heard properly because I'm not talking to her as I'm on the phone.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I'm glad Fred the storm has bypassed us. But then I suppose the same goes for any number of storms elsewhere in the world on a regular basis.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

What a disgusting day here in the Chilterns. And whoever did the Observers weather for the day should be ashamed!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

It is still raining steadily as it has been doing all day . I was hoping to go to the local shop in the dry but the wet weather gear will have to be deployed :'(
the slower you go the more you see

It was raining so hard as I drove home this morning, on a country back road, that the rain was more like dense fog and I had to slow to a crawl! Luckily it was just a brief squall, but I thought of Steve.

Beardy

• Shedist
It is windy in the east of the Eastern Angles. So much so that THEY have closed the big bridge over the River Orwell and chaos, and indeed pandemonium, has descended upon the town of Ipswich as pantechnicons and juggernauts attempt to get over said river by going into town.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Fairly breezy in FurryBootToon too. The wheely bins are being rearranged on our street.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Today the sun is shining. I feel like a different person, perhaps even a different species. It's rather nice.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Today the sun is shining. I feel like a different person, perhaps even a different species. It's rather nice.

One day recently:

"Mummy, mummy, look out of the window!"
"What is it?"
"The sun is shining!"  :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
It is windy in the east of the Eastern Angles. So much so that THEY have closed the big bridge over the River Orwell and chaos, and indeed pandemonium, has descended upon the town of Ipswich as pantechnicons and juggernauts attempt to get over said river by going into town.

That bridge seems to be as closed due to wind as the overpass at Ely station is due to trains
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Beardy

• Shedist

That bridge seems to be as closed due to wind as the overpass at Ely station is due to trains
Apparently it's been closed for 25 anabit hours this year, which is a bit more than a day, or for the more mathematically inclined, approaching 5% at the time of the closure.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Do! Wrong "random thread".  :facepalm:
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
I see there is a warning of yellow snow again tonight.   ;)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

You have got huskys coming  :D
the slower you go the more you see

You have got huskys coming  :D

Don't know about the colour, but you wouldn't want to be eating that snow either.  :-X
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Blimey what an overnight change.  It's positively balmy at 6° here this morning.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Beardy

• Shedist
Blimey what an overnight change.  It's positively balmy at 6° here this morning.
Gone completely the other way here. three degrees of frost took some time to clear from the car this morning

Yesterday's headlines re the next cold spell.  The Express had it's usual gloom and doom - a -8C prediction.  Trumped comprehensively by the Star's -22C  :o ::-)

Was that the Toronto Star? ;D

FWIW, it was mild enough on the south coast yesterday evening that the central heating did not switch on.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Screenshot of what should be the Polar Vortex as of 10 minutes ago:

The pinker the faster.  It should, of course, be a wavy closed loop round the pole.

Source: https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/500hPa/orthographic=-52.82,87.22,395

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Any chance of explaining, to thicko plebs like me without a Met degree, the significance?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
I haven't got a Met. degree either, but here goes:

Normally you should see a wavy pinkish closed loop - the polar vortex, encircled by the jetstream - all the way round the pole. This keeps polar air over the pole, giving low temperatures, lots of sea ice, happy polar bears and oil tankers staying out. At the same time it keeps warmer southern air down here where it belongs.

Instead, climate change has meant that air over the poles is warmer and the jetstream is weaker, with the result that the polar vortex has broken up. You can see a large incursion of Atlantic air, bringing warmth from the Gulf Stream up over Iceland and the eastern coast of Greenland, while a parallel air stream is bringing easterly polar air down from Novaya Zemlya & C° along the west coast of Norway, over the North Sea and over Europe and the UK - what the tabloids are calling "the beast from the east".

The web site is fun: if you click on "earth" in the bottom left you get a menu where you can change altitude & time and select various overlays for wind speed, temperature, humidity, "misery index", etc.  Altitude's a bit funny: it's given in hectopascals where 1000 hPa = 1 atmosphere = approx. pressure at sea level. It decreases with height. I chose 500 hPa because it best matches what the various science comix are saying about the cold spell.

You can zoom in on your own area and see what's going to happen in the next few days. Gives a bit of depth to the weather map.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Thank you. In a 'well informed non ironic' kind of way . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.