Author Topic: Which stand up comedians would you pay to go see in the UK ?  (Read 15046 times)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: Which stand up comedians would you pay to go see in the UK ?
« Reply #25 on: 29 April, 2015, 12:20:29 pm »
I wouldn't like to be in the middle of the front row at a Mark Thomas gig.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #26 on: 29 April, 2015, 12:29:34 pm »
Danny Bhoy
Ardal O'Hanlon
Reginald D. Hunter
First time I saw Danny Bhoy he was the warm-up for Ardal O'Hanlon, and he was much better. I've seen Reginald D Hunter and he wasn't great.

Lucy Porter is ok, but I wouldn't pay to see her again. Ross Noble, Jenny Eclair, Phil Jupitus I would pay to see again. I've gone right off Jason Byrne in the past few years, and the last time I saw Omid Djalili it was tired and stale. And I'd see Dara O'Brien and Adam Hills again too - Adam Hills is a must for me at the Fringe.

I have tickets for Kevin Bridges in September, which I am looking forward to very much.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27 on: 29 April, 2015, 12:44:13 pm »
I'm not a huge fan of stand-up, and have thus far managed to see only Jack Dee and Rhona Cameron live, both because a group of friends were going.  (This probably says something about my friends.)

Bill Bailey sounds like a good idea though.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #28 on: 29 April, 2015, 02:52:55 pm »
Getting there...

« Reply #29 on: 29 April, 2015, 02:56:16 pm »
Recently went to see James Acaster after seeing him on Never Mind the Buzzcocks (hadn't heard of him before, luckily upon googling we saw he was touring, which is probably why he was on NMTB) and absolutely loved him, will definitely see him again when he's within reach.

I've seen the Pub Landlord loads, and do like him, but there's no need to pay if you live in London because he tests out a lot of his material on free shows (that you have to queue up for, admittedly). The worrying thing is the amount of people who think his character is real.

Would also really like to see Josie Long do standup; have only ever seen her record a panel show for radio.

« Reply #30 on: 29 April, 2015, 05:45:41 pm »
Spike Milligan (although he may no longer be in the UK)
John Bishop

Do you ever think bishop going on about whats  a bloke like me from liverpool blah blah gets a tad dull

Yeah maybe, but he seems a nice enough guy.  And he's done pretty well for bloke from Liverpool doncha think?  Some handicap seeing as how Thatcher wanted to deal with scousers by a process of 'managed decline', no doubt thinking there were plenty of southern, middle-class votes to be gained thereby.  Well you did ask!
Move Faster and Bake Things

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #31 on: 29 April, 2015, 05:55:13 pm »
I would probably pay money to see Bill Bailey or Eddie Izzard if the opportunity arose (though I'd like to find the person responsible for the sound on the TV broadcast of "Qualmpeddler", and kill them), but the only "comic" I've actually forked out for has been Mark Thomas, and that show was as much political rally as gag-fest - the Ilisu Dam being the major ranting point.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #32 on: 29 April, 2015, 06:01:57 pm »
Eddie Izzard has always knocked me dead - interestingly except for the time I did actually pay to see him  ::-)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #33 on: 29 April, 2015, 06:55:31 pm »
I almost wept at the many dvds izzard has out and the one time i paid a nd went to see him he was absolutely crap  :facepalm:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #34 on: 29 April, 2015, 07:15:12 pm »
I would probably pay money to see Bill Bailey or Eddie Izzard if the opportunity arose (though I'd like to find the person responsible for the sound on the TV broadcast of "Qualmpeddler", and kill them), but the only "comic" I've actually forked out for has been Mark Thomas, and that show was as much political rally as gag-fest - the Ilisu Dam being the major ranting point.
I had the IMMENSE good fortune to see BB 3 times during his formative years (starting with a crowd of 40-ish!). Just fantastic. I will almost certainly pay good money again. He is God.

Eddie Izzard also made me (and the missus) cry with laughter in the early days - but sadly just on TV. He was a totally new thing (as was Bailey, but more radically so). Then I saw a couple of more recent tours, and they were really lacking ... something. Hopefully he'll get it back somehow.

I found Mark Thomas much as you describve. Worth going though,  cos he is quite funny. But probably not if yoyu disagree with his politics :D

Rich Hall deserves an honourable mention here. He was great, but also the Best Comedian Yet Seen In Didcot.
(Jeremy Hardy was a massive disappointment at the same venue. He had nearly as much politics as Mark Thomas - sadly none of it was funny.)

Reg 'Hunter is probably top of my list of Would Like to See.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #35 on: 29 April, 2015, 07:21:52 pm »
I saw Reginald D Hunter at the Fringe a few years ago. His whole hour was "I'm black, I say nigger a lot, I fuck white women."

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #36 on: 29 April, 2015, 07:36:09 pm »
oh dear :(

I heard a looooong interview with him on some US dude's podcast recently - he had a lot more to talk about than that. (although he was very upfront about his nigger-ness!)

His recent Music of the South doccos also came across very well.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #37 on: 29 April, 2015, 07:53:36 pm »
Yeah, I really enjoyed that series, but I didn't like his Fringe show.

« Reply #38 on: 29 April, 2015, 09:21:14 pm »
I suspect the number of comedians who make it to hicksville, Suffolk, is smaller than those who make it to Didcot, even.

We went to see Stephen K Amos when I lived next door but one to the theatre. And Laughed a Lot.

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #39 on: 29 April, 2015, 10:57:21 pm »
Jo Caufield
Zoe Lyons
Sara Pascoe

All were good.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #40 on: 29 April, 2015, 11:05:56 pm »
IMO you're better just going to a glee club and seeing what's there - most of the time I've seen known comedians I've seen the material before as I've watched their shows on telly already.

Comedy clubs will produce hit and miss stuff as a mix - will be some crap and some gems which is what you get when you pay more anyway
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #41 on: 30 April, 2015, 12:10:29 am »
IMO you're better just going to a glee club and seeing what's there - most of the time I've seen known comedians I've seen the material before as I've watched their shows on telly already.

Comedy clubs will produce hit and miss stuff as a mix - will be some crap and some gems which is what you get when you pay more anyway

If anyone wants to hear rehashed and well worn out material then john bishop is the man for that.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #42 on: 30 April, 2015, 02:06:01 am »
Has anyone mentioned Milton Jones?  All he had to do was stand up for the audience on "Mock The Week" to start laughing.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #43 on: 30 April, 2015, 09:09:47 am »
Has anyone mentioned Milton Jones?  All he had to do was stand up for the audience on "Mock The Week" to start laughing.

I abhor "Whacky"(but not really) comedians and he's one.  What I'd call a "Timmy Mallet type".

I also abhor Christians who claim that their religion invented stuff, like morals, women's rights, science and so on, when the opposite is true, and he's one.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/video/2013/oct/04/milton-jones-is-christianity-weird-video

apart from being involved at the beginning of science  systems of government, philosophy , art , schools , hospitals , the emancipation of women , the abolition of slavery , social welfare , helping form the basis of the moral code most people live by , and introducing popular notions of justice , mercy , decency and compassion – what has Christianity ever really done for the world?

It certainly was involved in many of these areas, but not always as a force for good I'd say.

involved at the beginning of science - Yes, it certainly was, and has from that very beginning tried to crush scientific thought.  Let's be honest, Evolution would still be replaced by Intelligent Design (or "God Dun It") in science class if they had their way.

the emancipation of women - Just too funny.  I mean all the fuss over women becoming Priests, in the 21st century!!!!

helping form the basis of the moral code most people live by - What do these people think was going on before JC turned up on the scene?  They can't understand that we have an inherent understanding of right and wrong, quite possibly evolved, just like our Ape cousins.

introducing popular notions of justice , mercy , decency and compassion - True, I hear that Witch burnings were popular.

Sorry, I got side-tracked, no, I think he's a Tit.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #44 on: 30 April, 2015, 10:25:05 am »
(click to show/hide)

Anyway:

I abhor "Whacky"(but not really) comedians and he's one.  What I'd call a "Timmy Mallet type".

I'd call him quirky - which is like the bearable end of the whacky spectrum.

He's very funny in small doses, but I think 40min (let alone an hour) would be torture.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #45 on: 30 April, 2015, 11:00:25 am »
Quite a regular at local comedy gigs, but only the small scale ones - hate the big stadium performers (Bishop, McIntyre, Kay etc), much prefer more intimate venues. Although I did enjoy the Mighty Boosh at the O2 a few years ago. Can't remember all the good ones I've seen but...

The comedian I have seen live most often and the one I would always go to see when the opportunity arises, no matter how much it cost, is Josie Long. I totally adore her and always find her very, very funny.

Also a big fan of Pappy's, the sketch group who recently had a series on BBC3 called Badults. They really don't come over that well on telly but I've seen them several times and they're consistently brilliant - hugely inventive and clever comedy. Matthew Crosby of Pappy's used to be the compere of the local comedy club and he was always very entertaining.

Another one I saw recently who I thought was brilliant and would happily pay to see again is David O'Doherty.

I've seen Count Arthur Strong three times. I know he's not to everyone's taste but if you are a fan, you absolutely must see him live - he's so much better on stage than on telly or radio.

there are some listed here i wouldnt go to see if they gave the tickets away such as lucy porter (she i s pitiful on mock the week)

Funny you should say that - I did recently get free tickets to see Lucy Porter at our local arts centre. I might not have gone otherwise but I'm glad I did - she's an engaging and very funny performer.

I also saw Harry Hill there a few years ago. He was incredible, and getting to see him in such a small venue was a rare privilege. One of the most interesting things about seeing him live was realising just how much he tones down the surreality for TV...

I hate Mock The Week - it's a lame format and only suits a certain style of comedian, one that I mostly can't stand (Andy Parsons, Russell Howard). I wouldn't expect to see Lucy Porter at her best on a show like that.

That said, I have seen Milton Jones a few times and I'm a big fan. Much better live than on telly - I get the feeling he sleepwalks his way through Mock The Week.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #46 on: 30 April, 2015, 11:02:01 am »
The one im really hoping is touring this year is Russell Kane as I just find him to be absolutely hilarious. When he does his dad the alpha male with the negative attitude I swear to you im nearly in tears. He is obviously a very intelligent guy and his humour can be very quick indeed , if he floats someones boat then they are really onto a winner with him. Another is Kevin Bridges, some people are just born funny and he is another Id love to catch.

If you asked who does coffee snob think are total shite and as funny as chronic constipation , then id give you :

Lucy Porter
Andie Osho
Gina Yashere
Katherine Ryan
Linda Smith
Mark Watson
Ross Noble
Sean Locke
Josh Widdicombe
Al Murray
Rhod Gilbert
Marcus Brigstock

On the whole I think female comedians are abysmal , however, there are always a few exceptions. Joan Rivers (god bless her ) was simply hysterical and Ive never heard a funnier woman.......ever. Sarah Millican is the best of the homegrowns but the I cant resist cake comedy is getting a bit tiresome.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #47 on: 30 April, 2015, 11:10:37 am »
On the whole I think female comedians are abysmal

:facepalm:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #48 on: 30 April, 2015, 11:18:45 am »
On the whole I think female comedians are abysmal

+1

And, while we're at it:

Quote from: Coffee Snob
Joan Rivers (god bless her ) was simply hysterical and Ive never heard a funnier woman.......ever.

Never enough :facepalm: for this.
Getting there...

red marley

« Reply #49 on: 30 April, 2015, 11:36:04 am »
I agree with Citoyen about the importance of setting. Smaller venues are where interaction with the audience and spontaneity work to best effect. Ivor Dembina's Red Rose Comedy Club in Finsbury Park, now sadly defunct, has had some great lineups. Notable performances there from standups I admire have included Kevin Eldon, Nina Conti, and Milton Jones. Others on my list of performances in small venues who I'd happily pay to see again: Josie Long, Boothby Graffoe, Stewart Lee, Marcus Brigstock, Henning Wehn. I've never seen her live, but given the opportunity I'd love to see Isy Suttie as she seems like a true original who has created a new strand of thoughtful, surreal and wistful comedy.

One on my list that I suspect many others might disagree with is Russell Brand. At the risk of sounding like a before-they-were-famous bore, when I saw him about a decade ago, I had no idea who he was and he came across with energy and wit that marked him out with unusual talent.