Author Topic: Tandem Sizing  (Read 1817 times)

Otto

• Biking Bad
Tandem Sizing
« on: 27 July, 2015, 06:09:16 pm »
Ok I'm toying with the idea of getting the missus out on a Tandem.... the trouble is I'm 6'1" and she is 5'1"
Any ideas?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Tandem Sizing
« Reply #1 on: 27 July, 2015, 06:17:38 pm »
Sizing for tandems is pretty forgiving. Long stems and seatposts give a lot of scope for 'stretching' something on the small side for the captain. The stoker doesn't need much (any) standover clearance if the captain can easily support the bike without the stoker putting a foot down.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 27 July, 2015, 06:22:39 pm »
Not a problem at all. I'm 6'3", and my better half is 5'0".  Well, to be honest, we now have a custom frame (seat tubes are 48 and 61cm), but even if you don't want to put your money now on a custom frame, it should not be a problem. Take a frame with a rear seat tube short enough for missus, and the longest possible rear top tube. Chances are that the front seat/top tubes will be much shorter than on your solo, but with an extra long stem and seatpost, it should do the job.

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #3 on: 27 July, 2015, 06:39:43 pm »
Thanks Chaps

I think there is a tandem hire place in Lancing which isn't that far from me may give them a call ... no point in forking out if she hates it !

« Reply #4 on: 27 July, 2015, 07:13:32 pm »
She might hate it or love it, it depends on a lot of things! If both of you enjoy doing things together during your spare time, chances are that the tandem is for you.