Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2017  (Read 108016 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2017
« Reply #400 on: 19 January, 2017, 07:09:12 am »
I guess he says "This is my first time" to everybody.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #401 on: 19 January, 2017, 07:43:12 am »
Shame Seething 600 isn't still run. I had over four hours kip, and was done in 32hrs. I think ChrisS may even have tucked me in, and Lyndsay made a cake with my name on it. Superb first 600 for me.
I thought your first 600 was the DIY where we shared in the Monmouth TL?

BB
No, that was my second - good times.

« Reply #402 on: 19 January, 2017, 10:57:24 am »
7 am start from King's makes for a relaxed second day, even for a full-value rider.
Wise words Somnolent
Yes, when riding with groups that was always seemed to be the popular departure time. As you've mentioned, a relaxed 200 in 15 hours

I've usually rocked up to there sometime around 4 am, as beds start to come free.
Turning up as the beds start to be ome free has benefits all 'round. You can have as much bedtime as you like, demand for beds tends not to exceed supply. Helpers then spend less time going to & fro from dorms.

An hour eating / faffing and a couple of hours sleep seems to work OK for me, although I am always abysmally slow on that long climb past the Cross Foxes.
I don't think that many fly up that climb Peter. What really helps is a tailwind, if you can feel the wind on your back as you go up past the petrol station, just pray that it holds for the next hour, you'll get a real boost for the upper stretch.
I always used to "allow" myself half an hour to get to cross foxes, and another half to crest the compleat climb. The most 'unwelcome' bit being the downhill bit just after cross foxes to the farm. It's the last thing anyone really needs. If I took less than an hour - great, if I took more - no big deal, just use the following downhill to best effect.

For me the road mods between the Brithdir turn and cross foxes is an improvement. Getting rid of the niggling give & take inclines helps keep a good rhythm.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #403 on: 19 January, 2017, 11:14:40 am »
I guess he says "This is my first time" to everybody.

Oo-er Missus!

simonp

« Reply #404 on: 19 January, 2017, 12:08:38 pm »
Seething 600 is probably lovely but I've hated every flat 600 I've ever done.

« Reply #405 on: 19 January, 2017, 12:26:33 pm »
7 am start from King's makes for a relaxed second day, even for a full-value rider.
Wise words Somnolent
I make no claim on them - just passing on what I was given as 'conventional wisdom' when I first did it.

.... I am always abysmally slow on that long climb past the Cross Foxes.
I don't think that many fly up that climb Peter. What really helps is a tailwind, if you can feel the wind on your back as you go up past the petrol station, just pray that it holds for the next hour, you'll get a real boost for the upper stretch.
I always used to "allow" myself half an hour to get to cross foxes, and another half to crest the compleat climb. The most 'unwelcome' bit being the downhill bit just after cross foxes to the farm. It's the last thing anyone really needs. If I took less than an hour - great, if I took more - no big deal, just use the following downhill to best effect.
Well - there's slow, and then there's arthritic snail.
Took me 1h 20 from the YH to the top of the climb in 2016

« Reply #406 on: 19 January, 2017, 01:39:15 pm »
This gave me bad knees both times I done it. 2015 I did not give up (after waking up in Dolgellau with knee ache in the morning) and learned a very valuable lesson in steady does it: 6:41am 138 miles with cadence 61 in 13:18h of which under 55 min stopped. I thought that might have been slow but I saw a gentleman arriving at Dolgellau when I left who I met next at the end of PBP; so the ride can be done even more stylish!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #407 on: 19 January, 2017, 05:36:09 pm »
Entries now closed...

Are we going to get confirmation emails to say we have a space? I sent my cheque last week second class, so I hope it made it in time but I'm not sure....

John

+1, mine went in the post on Sat morn....  ???

Well it would appear my entry never made it to Wales, I suspect the carrier pigeon RM employed must have been used as an alternative Xmas bird or something.... so the org has confirmed my fears that I'm out.

I'll be cancelling my two rooms at the Travel Lodge shortly and considering some alternatives.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #408 on: 19 January, 2017, 05:52:20 pm »
Entries now closed...

Are we going to get confirmation emails to say we have a space? I sent my cheque last week second class, so I hope it made it in time but I'm not sure....

John

+1, mine went in the post on Sat morn....  ???

Well it would appear my entry never made it to Wales, I suspect the carrier pigeon RM employed must have been used as an alternative Xmas bird or something.... so the org has confirmed my fears that I'm out.

I'll be cancelling my two rooms at the Travel Lodge shortly and considering some alternatives.
Sell the rooms on to another rider, rather than letting Travelodge make extra profit  when they relist them

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

« Reply #409 on: 19 January, 2017, 06:00:01 pm »

Have you checked with the organiser?  only I can see a first name not dissimilar to yours.  PM me if you wish.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #410 on: 19 January, 2017, 06:27:21 pm »

Have you checked with the organiser?  only I can see a first name not dissimilar to yours.  PM me if you wish.

Hi Ian,

Yes, I've been in correspondence with Richie today, he kindly offered a spot on the helpers ride, but I'm bookended on both weekends - so will have a think about other options...  (AUK #:14873)
Regards,

Joergen

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #411 on: 19 January, 2017, 06:43:10 pm »

Sell the rooms on to another rider, rather than letting Travelodge make extra profit  when they relist them

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Not sure how to do that, but if anyone wants to take them off my hands, they are both flexible rate bookings, so can be modified / cancelled I think:
Arr 12/05, Dep 13/05 Double room £72
Arr 14/05, Dep 15/05 Double room £47

Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #412 on: 19 January, 2017, 08:45:43 pm »
Noting that several people are saying getting some sleep is actually a faster strategy, I guess the time spent sleeping is gained back because you regain some energy for the final 200Km. I'd be interested in other peoples experiences one way or the other.
You want to be careful with that kind of "data". Sleep deprivation varies hugely between riders - I'm at the "usually feels like death after 24h" end of the spectrum, but quite a few folk just ride straight through a 600 without seeming to even slow down much.

From your post, you sound like one of these freaks that needs no sleep  :thumbsup:   Safe is always better than sorry, but don't assume you will need sleep just because I do!

Thanks to all, the varied responses have actually given me a clearer picture.

As Mattc says I am one of those freaks for whom the normal sleep patterns don't apply.

It looks like riding 600k is done and is an option, but it could be a gamble if you then get too tired you will struggle and slow down & then its not a good strategy.

Safest bet seems to be to aim to get a few hours rest at the YHA before heading onward.

« Reply #413 on: 24 January, 2017, 08:49:38 pm »
Hiya

Well I had booked the snowdon ranger youth hostel hoping that they might allow us to arrive late or allow my brother to pick up the keys for me (he lives up the hill in Rhosgadfan - just too much of a hill to want to do on top of the 600km!) but I got the answer of no chance today. So I will be cancelling that and hoping for a couple of hours at Kings...

I will be taking a camper van to the start for the night before and after - anyone know of anywhere I can park it to sleep in and to leave while we do this thing?

My first 600km (longest so far is 400km) and the idea of doing the willy warmer 3 times is just a little bit scary right now! At least it will be a little bit warmer by May!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #414 on: 25 January, 2017, 12:57:29 pm »
Hi Sarah, And welcome to "proper" Audax ;)

I've never driven to this event, but probably the most popular parking option is the Severn View Services (where the Travelodge is). It's further away than is ideal, but a very scenic short ride!

Of course they may not like a camper van being there overnight  :-\  I don't know of anywhere quiet in town, but there are quiet lanes near the services at Aust village; people have also parked there.

And folks have parked at the actual Arrivee - again, not sure if a campervan would be welcome at a community hall, maybe check with the organiser? The car-park isn't big enough for a hundred riders, but for that reason folks park elsewhere.

Matt
(cos no one else seemed to have an answer for you!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #415 on: 25 January, 2017, 03:00:14 pm »
I've never driven to this event, but probably the most popular parking option is the Severn View Services (where the Travelodge is). It's further away than is ideal, but a very scenic short ride!

Of course they may not like a camper van being there overnight 

If I recall, there's also a large parking area next to the services / Costa building that is used by truckers. I imagine some of them would be there overnight so there wouldn't be too much problem with a camper van.  You can see it in this image, if I've linked correctly:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Aust,+Bristol/@51.6032012,-2.6228305,675m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4871942f5aaaf029:0xcb2bb02ca63deb8b!8m2!3d51.5991956!4d-2.6202643
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #416 on: 25 January, 2017, 05:01:08 pm »
Thanks guys - they are not keen to have a campervan at the car park at the start, which I can understand. We could go into the services car park - it says £18.50 for 24 hours for a campervan -  I can't find out anywhere online whether that can be 3 lots of £18.50 for 72 hours....I imagine it probably does.  Or there is a campsite 6 miles away that looks good - just dunno if I can face adding 20km on!

Redlight

« Reply #417 on: 25 January, 2017, 05:28:58 pm »
Where is home?  Do you have another means of transport to the start?  If so, it might be just as cheap to stay at the Travelodge for Friday and Sunday nights (which is what a lot of others do). Book early enough and you might get a good rate.

« Reply #418 on: 25 January, 2017, 05:33:20 pm »

Redlight

« Reply #419 on: 19 February, 2017, 05:17:27 pm »
Worth noting that if you're travelling by train the cheap fares have become available this weekend (on GWR, at least). Just got my ticket from London-Bristol for £15

« Reply #420 on: 19 February, 2017, 06:55:39 pm »
+1 to that - just booked my ticket from Paddington.  ;D

Redlight

« Reply #421 on: 25 February, 2017, 12:12:22 pm »
Cheap return tickets from Bristol to London have gone on sale today  :)  £15 again (compared with £33 quoted a few days ago)

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #422 on: 25 February, 2017, 12:48:39 pm »
Cheap return tickets from Bristol to London have gone on sale today  :)  £15 again (compared with £33 quoted a few days ago)
Just bought my return on Sunday £11 to Reading.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Phil W

« Reply #423 on: 25 February, 2017, 12:58:17 pm »
Thanks guys - they are not keen to have a campervan at the car park at the start, which I can understand. We could go into the services car park - it says £18.50 for 24 hours for a campervan -  I can't find out anywhere online whether that can be 3 lots of £18.50 for 72 hours....I imagine it probably does.  Or there is a campsite 6 miles away that looks good - just dunno if I can face adding 20km on!

There are showers at the services, so good for a post ride refresh. Not sure if you can pay for more than 24 hours in one go. If not you could park at the services Friday night, leave campervan on road parallel to A466 during event, then return to services Sunday night.

« Reply #424 on: 10 March, 2017, 01:27:28 pm »
Due to health reasons, I am no longer able to ride this event.

I also have a room booked at the travel lodge for the Friday night.

So if anyone wants my place and/or room please contact me.

Thanks.

Rob