Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 521786 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #2150 on: 24 February, 2017, 12:28:57 pm »
Can you go directly south over all those bridges and islands down to Middelburg?  That looks like fun and would be very Dutch.

I was hoping to sail over to Middleburg this summer but time may be against me.
That's just showing off  ;D

« Reply #2151 on: 24 February, 2017, 12:59:43 pm »
you haven't seen the boat  ;D
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2152 on: 26 February, 2017, 02:10:52 pm »
Quick question - for our LEL teams, have we a consistent approach to the team name, ie: "ACME Dynamite" or "Dynamite" ?
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2153 on: 26 February, 2017, 02:21:59 pm »
I think you need to keep the ACME in. Us Anvils have gone for "ACME Anvils"
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2154 on: 26 February, 2017, 02:31:39 pm »
 :thumbsup: Yeah - thats what I thought so have gone with similar.
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2155 on: 26 February, 2017, 09:04:29 pm »
Quick question - for our LEL teams, have we a consistent approach to the team name, ie: "ACME Dynamite" or "Dynamite" ?

I've used ACME Dynamite

« Reply #2156 on: 26 February, 2017, 09:08:47 pm »

I've used ACME Dynamite
Yeah. The ACME Anvils rock.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2157 on: 26 February, 2017, 09:41:45 pm »
Changing the subject...

I'm on for "ACME goes Dutch" in September. It's official.

« Reply #2158 on: 27 February, 2017, 07:49:02 am »
ACME to Holland

Let's get a few things agreed so that we can get the bookings made. I've made a few assumptions as follows, but please do discuss if you'd like anything changed.

Date: Depart night of Friday 15th Sept, return on night of Saturday 16th Sept

Fare type: flexible (it would be £8 cheaper each for economy, but then no chance of amendment later on)

Cabins: 2-berth inside cabins (it would be £4.50 per person extra per sailing for an outside berth, not worth it given it's night time ... windows don't open anyway ... ) 

Breakfast: £11 each for the buffet (expensive but will save us having to stop too early in the day)

I've got the costs based on 4 people, which works out at £159 each for the return journey. This will vary slightly if any of the above assumptions are changed, or if we end up with an odd number travelling. I'm happy to make the booking and collect the monies once we have confirmed numbers. Could those who are interested please confirm that they are happy with the above, or propose an amendment?

Booking details would be as below, but dependent upon final numbers travelling.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2159 on: 27 February, 2017, 08:40:16 am »
That works for me. Let me know when you want the cash.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2160 on: 27 February, 2017, 08:55:02 am »
15th works for me.  :thumbsup: I'll put it in the household forward planning facility...

I would prefer a cabin to myself, though they are easily big enough for 2
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2161 on: 27 February, 2017, 09:19:45 am »
I would prefer a cabin to myself

That is certainly an option. It will add £23 per person who wants this option.

If anybody else wants this option, please do let me know.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2162 on: 27 February, 2017, 10:15:17 am »
For £23 I would go for it too but I'm not that bothered if it messes someone else up.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2163 on: 02 March, 2017, 08:07:46 am »
Regarding ACME Goes Dutch in September, a cut and paste from the main MEMWNS thread ...

... Could somebody please raise the Holland trip and see if there is any further interest? At the moment we have myself, OD and Jibers. Oaky has previously expressed an interest. Anybody else? If not, I'd suggest I book individual cabins for 3. If anybody wants to join later, that would be fine, but the prices may rise in the meantime.

In summary, the plan is to cycle to Harwich on the evening of Friday 15th September, overnight ferry, cycle 200km in Holland on a nice scenic route, return overnight on the Saturday night. Cost is circa £182 including ferry, individual cabins and breakfast in both directions.

Was the matter raised last night?  And if so what was the outcome?

Based on the tracks jiber kindly posted upthread I have been having a play with my Garmin mapping software and come up with this PRELIMINARY SUGGESTIONPLEASE NOTE: This is a very rough suggestion, I have no idea what the roads are like as I have ZERO knowledge of the area.  I just wanted to know what c200k based on jibers tracks might look like.

« Reply #2164 on: 02 March, 2017, 08:28:41 am »
Regarding ACME Goes Dutch in September, a cut and paste from the main MEMWNS thread ...

... Could somebody please raise the Holland trip and see if there is any further interest? At the moment we have myself, OD and Jibers. Oaky has previously expressed an interest. Anybody else? If not, I'd suggest I book individual cabins for 3. If anybody wants to join later, that would be fine, but the prices may rise in the meantime.

In summary, the plan is to cycle to Harwich on the evening of Friday 15th September, overnight ferry, cycle 200km in Holland on a nice scenic route, return overnight on the Saturday night. Cost is circa £182 including ferry, individual cabins and breakfast in both directions.

Based on the tracks jiber kindly posted upthread I have been having a play with my Garmin mapping software and come up with this PRELIMINARY SUGGESTIONPLEASE NOTE: This is a very rough suggestion, I have no idea what the roads are like as I have ZERO knowledge of the area.  I just wanted to know what c200k based on jibers tracks might look like.

It was discussed last night.  No new takers but Jibers is very excited about his curry at Harwich.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2165 on: 02 March, 2017, 08:35:08 am »

Bring your pavé tyres!

No takers from last nights gathering, I think the cost of the crossing is feeling a bit too extravagant.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2166 on: 02 March, 2017, 08:40:54 am »
The Stormchasers Guild met at the Hurdlemakers last night.

We weren't entirely sure whether we were waiting for Euan or Fleur but it was obvious that something was coming.

I arrived at the pub a little later than planned in heavy sleet.  At this point the wind was only in the annoyingly strong bracket.

In the pub I found Huggy, the Award Winner, Hotblack, Jiber and Sir Jancis Drake.  Not only had they started without me but they had quaffed the entire stock of Dark Star's Hophead, a favourite ale of mine.

With the new found confidence that comes with being an award winner, our kitty holder had upgraded us to full waitress service with a tab.  Gone are the days when he used to think it was an honour to run back and forth to the bar, nowadays he just clicks his fingers.

We sampled Bishop Nick's Arise and Mighty Oak's Starman.  The latter taking the prestigious Quaffers' Choice.

Talk ranged from the forthcoming weekend in Holland to something about megahertz and RF and how wet plaster interferes with broadband while you are sending microwaves to Norway (I wasn't really following this part of the conversation).

The Award Winner had also arranged that the barmaid would provide us with regular weather updates.  Eventually the storm had increased to the point where it was dangerous enough for us to set off again.  We left to find the road covered in recycling bags blown from people's driveways.  Even with a tailwind it was an interesting ride home on my own as the sleet began to turn to snow.

« Reply #2167 on: 02 March, 2017, 10:23:21 am »
Quote from: jiberjaber
Bring your pavé tyres!

No takers from last nights gathering, I think the cost of the crossing is feeling a bit too extravagant.

Thanks for asking. I'll give it until after the Horsepower, and make the booking on Sunday.

Hopefully we'll also know the riders for each Thursday night group for the Arrow then too.

« Reply #2168 on: 03 March, 2017, 01:00:45 pm »
Folks, after some discussion a couple of weeks back I am following up to see if anyone might be interested in a Customised Merino Jersey.

Soigneur Jerseys do the full custom treatment and it would be about £100 per jersey so I appreciate they are pretty pricey but as you know folks, with Merino you could ride the whole of LEL and still not smell too bad (and if you smell of Lanolin you might have a line of Kiwi folk following you  :facepalm:)

Some Custom Jersey examples

Minimum order is 6 units so before I do anything else can anyone who is interested let me know?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2169 on: 03 March, 2017, 01:12:31 pm »
^^^ Potentially yes. Are you proposing an ACME jersey?  I don't mind if you are although I'd love a MEMWNS jersey.

« Reply #2170 on: 03 March, 2017, 01:37:34 pm »
Good thinking, I had thought more along the ACME lines but this might be a good opportunity to tie the 2 things together. Food for thought for stage 2.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2171 on: 03 March, 2017, 02:32:25 pm »
Yes I'd love a combined ACME / MEMWNS jersey with a reference to yacf.

« Reply #2172 on: 03 March, 2017, 02:50:15 pm »
Looks interesting, and the examples look good. Hopefully the simple classic style can be achieved, even with multiple acronyms.

« Reply #2173 on: 03 March, 2017, 02:53:27 pm »
Looks interesting, and the examples look good. Hopefully the simple classic style can be achieved, even with multiple acronyms.
Yep, I would be wanting to keep it very simple and as you say quite possibly a bit retro.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2174 on: 03 March, 2017, 02:54:43 pm »
I'm interested but more along the lines of ACME than the other....
Regards,

Joergen