Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 524168 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #2100 on: 16 February, 2017, 08:06:55 pm »
Ok then, ones I spotted ...

The origins of audax date back Italian endurance sports of the late nineteenth century

The origins of audax date back to the Italian endurance sports of the late nineteenth century

A:  No. It is true that the stereotype of an audxer is a bearded,

audaxer

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2101 on: 17 February, 2017, 08:47:49 am »
Thanking you!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2102 on: 17 February, 2017, 09:57:39 am »
COR is an activity whereby bicycles designed primarily to be ridden of roads with a Tarmacadam surface are ridden on roads which have no such surface.

Should be on?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2103 on: 17 February, 2017, 11:27:38 am »
COR is an activity whereby bicycles designed primarily to be ridden of roads with a Tarmacadam surface are ridden on roads which have no such surface.

Should be on?

Yes, corrected, thank you.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2104 on: 17 February, 2017, 11:34:30 am »
Please point out the typos!!!
You know that Mrs Tomsk is a professional proof reader now  ;)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2105 on: 17 February, 2017, 11:39:44 am »

Oh yeah!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2106 on: 17 February, 2017, 01:22:10 pm »

Oh yeah!

She'll do anything for a pickled egg!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2107 on: 17 February, 2017, 01:57:03 pm »
That is just a vicious rumour!

« Reply #2108 on: 17 February, 2017, 02:35:18 pm »
Good job OD:

We want ACME to be the biggest, best, world dominating, all conquering, second to none, most bodacious audax club the universe (and beyond) has ever seen and will ever see!  Oh yes!

ACME members might develop a twinkle of the eye, insert comma a pickled egg and a bag of crisps might be produced.  Of such stuff legends are made!

as for bodacious!!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2109 on: 17 February, 2017, 02:46:55 pm »
Corrections made!

« Reply #2110 on: 17 February, 2017, 06:34:15 pm »
Cycling new terrain in 2017?

I’m planning 200km rides in the hills south of London, and on the flat in Holland. Is anybody interested in either at some point later in the year? Details are:

Meridian Hills / Around Weald Expedition - 2 very picturesque permanent rides, both of which I’ll be riding this year. I rode the Around Weald last year, and found it tiring with quite a bit of cycling upwards, but the route was very picturesque. Both rides count towards the Grimpeur du Sud award, and you can start just off the M25 not far from the QE2 bridge.

Holland - overnight ferry from Harwich (11pm on a Friday, arrives in Hook of Holland at 8am), cycle a DIY 200km, arriving back to catch the overnight ferry to Harwich (10pm, arriving 6:30am). 14 hours is plenty of time for a leisurely 200km ride.

Dates - I’m quite flexible, and would suggest sometime between mid-June and mid-July, or end-August/beginning of September.

Oaky has previously expressed an interest in the Holland adventure. At the moment I’m just looking for interest, then can sort dates and start making arrangements. I'll be at the Compasses next Wednesday, and the Horsepower on 4th March, if you'd like more details.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2111 on: 17 February, 2017, 08:04:33 pm »
Yes and Yes... I have a good route in/out of Hoek from my touring last year.... plus top tips for pre-ferry curry & on-ferry-breakfast :D  We could ride to the ferry also if that suits... I had a really nice ride over to it last year including the Wivenhoe trail.   :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2112 on: 18 February, 2017, 10:14:24 am »
Yes and Yes... I have a good route in/out of Hoek from my touring last year.... plus top tips for pre-ferry curry & on-ferry-breakfast :D  We could ride to the ferry also if that suits... I had a really nice ride over to it last year including the Wivenhoe trail.   :thumbsup:
Excellent. Cycling to the ferry is what I had in mind, and your help with the route would be appreciated. I think this could turn into a grand adventure.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2113 on: 18 February, 2017, 10:23:03 am »
I could potentially be up for the Dutch jaunt. It would have to be September though.

« Reply #2114 on: 18 February, 2017, 11:55:11 am »
I could potentially be up for the Dutch jaunt. It would have to be September though.

Cool. Let's discuss dates next week, to see what works best for all. September is certainly an option for me.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2115 on: 18 February, 2017, 08:07:14 pm »
I was thinking it would be a good easy miles ride and relaxing way into LEL... But cool either way.
Regards,

Joergen

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #2116 on: 18 February, 2017, 09:22:04 pm »
I would be keen to join the ride to Harwich and do a 200k in Holland with overnight ferry crossings. Being a non-smoker,  it might be interesting to legally try the wacky backy, with the thinking it may make the ride less painful.  Last time I took Harwich crossing was in 2012 and did a mini tour of Holland, Luxembourg and West Germany on the motorbike with full camping gear during the European Cup tournament.

I have to forewarn that I am prone to sea sickness.  :sick:

The ferry company recommends book a night cabin but I slept in the lounge which was almost empty.
CCS - Setting the Standards

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2117 on: 19 February, 2017, 12:09:31 am »
A cabin works really well on the way back, it's like a floating travel lodge. On the way out you loose hour, so it feels like less value plus breakfast is 05:00! I'd still get a cabin though, as a shower works wonders!

Good curry house up the road from the ferry terminal, last time I prebooked a meal on the ferry (which was good) and just had a taster in the curry house, but in retrospect of go for the curry and get more sleep on the ferry
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2118 on: 19 February, 2017, 05:26:28 am »
I've used the Newhaven Dieppe crossing for a 24 hour ride to Paris. That crossing is just 4 hours, but even then a chance for a shower and semi-quality sleep was very welcome. So I will favour a cabin on the way out also.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #2119 on: 19 February, 2017, 09:00:05 am »
Hasn't the Harwich ferry got all night dancing and a bar?

« Reply #2120 on: 19 February, 2017, 09:26:05 am »

Is that not the Reedham Ferry ?
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2121 on: 19 February, 2017, 10:30:45 am »

All night dancing with truck drivers!  I'll take me frock!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2122 on: 19 February, 2017, 11:56:31 am »

Is that not the Reedham Ferry ?

You are partially correct. Of the third night of the crossing there is indeed an all night bar and dancing. On the first night you get a two flower arranging class, on the second night there's an orgy.

« Reply #2123 on: 19 February, 2017, 12:48:23 pm »
Has anybody created an ACME Twitter account? I can't find anything, but then if it has been created but no tweets tweeted, it won't be found... I'll do it if nobody has set one up...

The website *will* be up for testing in the next couple of days. And you can hold me to that this time  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2124 on: 19 February, 2017, 12:56:48 pm »
I've been tweeting our stuff from my account thus far as I CBA to create a separate one for ACME plus build up all the followers again - happy to create a new one and register it to the gmail account we have... I've been using the hashtag #ACME
Regards,

Joergen