Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 439820 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #550 on: 21 October, 2017, 12:04:27 am »
The value of a dynamo...
???

That you don't have to think to bring lights (or their brackets), just switch them on.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #551 on: 21 October, 2017, 12:57:23 am »
Building a 2x10 29er, transmission, hmmm... Got a LH 2 speed SRAM X7 trigger, OK we'll get a matching RH. So far so good. Next, rear derailleur, need an X7. <click>

Assemble all the bits this evening, add cassette & chain, crank it up. Derailleur won't go all the way down to 1st. Got all the clicks on the shifter and the cable is correctly routed. Check **EVERYTHING**. Twice. Still won't. Scrabble in the bin for the packaging hoping to find the instructions in case I've done something dumb.

Yep, I've done something dumb. Bought a 10sp shifter and a 9sp derailleur. No, I didn't know either. Arse . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #552 on: 21 October, 2017, 10:36:03 am »
Fitted a X5 10sp rear mech this morning. Everything functions as it should.  :facepalm:
VELOMANCER

« Reply #553 on: 21 October, 2017, 12:04:26 pm »
You need more sleep (and possibly scones).

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #554 on: 21 October, 2017, 04:59:30 pm »
"Time for tea" said Mr Larrington.  He put the oven into pre-heat mode and went off to Do Things.  When the oven went "ping" (very quietly — see grumbles passim) he put a couple of the finest breaded fishy things that Mr Sainsbury's House Of Toothy Comestibles has to offer into an oven dish, placed the said dish in the oven and went off to Do More Things.

Some time later, Mr Larrington's nostrils are assailed by a diabolical ronk, as of a garlic powder-fuelled explosion in a tyre factory.  He goes to investigate and finds a thick pall of smoke pouring from the oven.  On opening the door of same the Chips Room immediately resembles the Columbia River Gorge when Mr Larrington was there last month viz., invisible behind the choking miasma of particulates filling the atmostale.  He cannot actually reach the fridge without both breathing apparatus and a guide dog.

Investigation shews that Mr Larrington, fecking div that he be, has pressed the "Grill/Combi" button instead of the "Convection" one, thereby cremating his nosh beyond recognition and making the whole of Larrington Towers stink most vilely of fish.  Verily, 'tis now the piece of cod which passeth all understanding, and is awaiting disposal once I find the gear I normally wear when dumping radioactive waste in John Redwood's garden.

Hungry now :facepalm:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #555 on: 21 October, 2017, 05:04:27 pm »
I did that once with our old oven and ended up with a half carbon/half raw calzone that I'd spent hours making.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #556 on: 21 October, 2017, 05:09:56 pm »
The radioactive codpiece sounds like a deadly device out of a Dan Brown novel.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #557 on: 21 October, 2017, 05:11:05 pm »
The great advantage of being unable to exceed the pace of a snail is that I cannot abandon the oven.

Two minutes of extra time never really hurts. Oven is but two cubits from my seat.

« Reply #558 on: 21 October, 2017, 05:12:33 pm »
Take away, it is then...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #559 on: 21 October, 2017, 05:15:10 pm »
This is similar to the process through which Mustard Gas Chicken was invented.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #560 on: 21 October, 2017, 08:54:06 pm »
Mrs ElyDave did that once, set oven to grill, inserted crumble, much burning later left top of crumble carbonised, middle of crumble raw.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #561 on: 22 October, 2017, 10:35:44 am »
Wondered why the slow puncture I patched yesterday was flat again today - pinched when remounting, second hole???

Nope. I had simply put the patch beside the hole instead of on it. :facepalm:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #562 on: 23 October, 2017, 10:21:02 am »
The value of a dynamo...
???
Sorry to confuse.  I am a bit absent-minded, but having a hub dynamo means that my light is permanently attached to the bike, ad even I can't lose it!
Getting there...

ian

« Reply #563 on: 23 October, 2017, 11:55:08 am »
I did that once with our old oven and ended up with a half carbon/half raw calzone that I'd spent hours making.

I did the opposite (and not for the first time) which explains why my tea on Friday night took twice as long. The defrost setting isn't very good for getting the oven hot. I'm not, tbh, sure why my oven needs about dozen different settings (there's three for the bloody fan, for heaven's sake) other than to ensure I select the wrong one and wander off.

fuzzy

« Reply #564 on: 24 October, 2017, 12:33:19 pm »
Building a 2x10 29er, transmission, hmmm... Got a LH 2 speed SRAM X7 trigger, OK we'll get a matching RH. So far so good. Next, rear derailleur, need an X7. <click>

Assemble all the bits this evening, add cassette & chain, crank it up. Derailleur won't go all the way down to 1st. Got all the clicks on the shifter and the cable is correctly routed. Check **EVERYTHING**. Twice. Still won't. Scrabble in the bin for the packaging hoping to find the instructions in case I've done something dumb.

Yep, I've done something dumb. Bought a 10sp shifter and a 9sp derailleur. No, I didn't know either. Arse . . .

Sorry Tors, I shouldn't be laffing but...........

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #565 on: 24 October, 2017, 04:32:28 pm »
Yes, you should. The trick is not to do it again . . .
VELOMANCER

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #566 on: 24 October, 2017, 05:01:22 pm »
The first bit of this tale sounds like it belongs in the grumble thread, but bear with it, the divviness will soon become clear.

Today I had to go for a blood test.  My appointment was at 10:50, and I duly cycle over to ${SURGERY}, ~5 minutes before time and check in.  The receptionist looks at me as if I'm mad (leading me to wonder if I've turned up a month early or something equally divvy).

'That's at ${OTHER_SURGERY}' said the receptionist, handing me a printout of the Google maps directions between ${SURGERY} and ${OTHER_SURGERY}.

This crucial fact hadn't been mentioned when I booked the appointment, or in the SMS confirmation (which stated ${SURGERY}), or in the systmonline listing of my appointments which also states Location: ${SURGERY}.

Anyhow,  I hop back on my bike and race round to ${OTHER_SURGERY} (just over a mile),  where I present my sweaty self to the phlebotomist, apologising profusely for being late for my appointment.

'Do you have your paperwork?', she asked...

'...errr... no, sorry,  its still on my noticeboard at home  :facepalm:', I replied, sheepishly.

There being only 30 minutes left of the phlebotomist session, I got back on the bike and sprinted the 3 mile round trip to home and back to ${OTHER_SURGERY}, making it back in a sweaty mess, clutching my all-important bloodwork form and finally managed to get bled.

Still,  my eleveated heart rate seemed to help in jetting the blood out into the containers.  And I got a bit of exercise in.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #567 on: 28 October, 2017, 10:35:51 am »
Master fettler, me

« Reply #568 on: 28 October, 2017, 10:37:47 am »
Your bike appears to be up side down.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #569 on: 28 October, 2017, 10:43:25 am »
I've just realised I've paid £99.90 to NOW TV for a service I never used after the free 3 months.  I genuinely thought I'd cancelled it via the box itself (I'm pretty careful with these things and expect them to be scams) but they silently take money via debit card without notifying you, and the amounts are small enough that you don't spot them unless you're unusually rigorous (or still get paper bank statements).  This is their business model.  Avoid.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #570 on: 30 October, 2017, 03:35:28 pm »
We took out a subscription to Now TV so we could watch GoT (and other things). Then discovered that it only kept about 3 episodes available at a time. So the first few episodes of the season weren't available . . .
Must remind MrsC to terminate it.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #571 on: 31 October, 2017, 11:18:16 am »
Oh hell I just remembered I put some very smelly cheese in the overflow fridge (contains only white wine and beer except at Christmas or if we are having a party) in the garage after Mrs Pcolbeck complained it was stinking the kitchen out - about six weeks ago. I may have to find a cloths peg for my nose before opening the fridge to deal with it.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #572 on: 31 October, 2017, 12:42:43 pm »
Oh hell I just remembered I put some very smelly cheese in the overflow fridge (contains only white wine and beer except at Christmas or if we are having a party) in the garage after Mrs Pcolbeck complained it was stinking the kitchen out - about six weeks ago. I may have to find a cloths peg for my nose before opening the fridge to deal with it.

I can get you a gas mask and NBC suit if you think it might be necessary
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #573 on: 31 October, 2017, 01:38:01 pm »

When I left one French company the development held a farewell piss-up, in course of which a chum passed me a packet of scampi "because you won't feel much like cooking afterwards".  It being a warm evening, I nipped into the boss's office, put it in his hospitality fridge, and promptly forgot about it.

I later heard that since the fridge's only function was to cool drinks down it was on a timer that switched it off over the weekend. Piss-up, of course, was on a Friday.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #574 on: 31 October, 2017, 05:45:52 pm »

I can get you a gas mask and NBC suit if you think it might be necessary

NSFW thread for fetish stuff is THAT WAY ->
VELOMANCER