Author Topic: Getting faster when getting into mid 50s ? A dream or a possibility  (Read 47899 times)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
Re: Getting faster when getting into mid 50s ? A dream or a possibility
« Reply #100 on: 14 December, 2017, 03:50:23 pm »
I done my first Sportive a few weeks ago .... It was only a 50Km, but I gave it my best the whole way .... I was 6% in Zone 3, 84% Zone 4 and 9% in zone 5

https://www.strava.com/activities/1281665044/overview

Strava calculates my ride at 1,93 W/Kg so thats pretty shite compared to what I have read on this thread  :(

I've been using W/Kg based on a Functional Threshold Power test.  That's the "industry standard" so to speak.

What does Strava use to calculate it?  Average power for the ride?  If so then it's meaningless unless you're doing a full-on Time Trial and, even then, TTs sometimes force you to coast around bends or ease of the power occasionally. 

An FTP test is unrelenting and gives me much higher P:W numbers than any cycle ride I have ever done.  I see some of your PBs were done around 260-280 Watts.  I'd be more inclined to use that as the basis for your calculations.

A lady in my Wattbike class has a P:W of 4.02 W/Kg !!!  She's a racing snake build, wiry, but manages to generate a lot of power with it.  I've never ridden with her but I'm imagining a scenario where she disappears over the crest of a long climb as I wheeze my way after her.  She actually has the best P:W of anyone in the class
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

simonp

« Reply #101 on: 14 December, 2017, 04:13:55 pm »
I got to about 3.6W/kg last year. But that was back when I weighed 76.5kg...

« Reply #102 on: 14 December, 2017, 04:27:20 pm »
I done my first Sportive a few weeks ago .... It was only a 50Km, but I gave it my best the whole way .... I was 6% in Zone 3, 84% Zone 4 and 9% in zone 5

Strava calculates my ride at 1,93 W/Kg so thats pretty shite compared to what I have read on this thread  :(
Your moving time is 1 hour 45. So an average power over that duration would be under your FTP, even if you were riding a flat road at a consistent speed for the whole thing. Chances are that it wasn't flat, and you stopped, eased off, or even used your brakes at times. If you want to use Strava to try to get a sensible FTP there are a couple of ways you could try.  Either find a climb that takes > 8 minutes, hammer up it, cruise to the bottom and hammer up it again - then take 90% of the average FTP you had while climbing. Or go find a nice flat 10 mile TT course, ride it as hard as you can and take 95% of the average power over that duration. Neither are going to be massively accurate, but both are going to have you exerting steady-state power for a significant chunk of time (but less than 1 hour).

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #103 on: 14 December, 2017, 04:42:16 pm »

I'd check your settings for HR zones and weight in Strava.

If you go to your power curve and set it to w/kg you'll be a happier - I think it shows you between 2.23 and 2.36 w/kg rather than 1.9 based on your 20min power  :thumbsup: (your 1 hour power was 2.2w/kg )
Regards,

Joergen

Samuel D

« Reply #104 on: 14 December, 2017, 05:24:22 pm »
I’m low on power compared to the racers I occasionally ride with and light too (~65 kg), but despite that I do okay on the flat and can sometimes even ride people off my wheel. However, the climbs are another matter, because there I can’t cheat with aerodynamics. Climbs, not time trials, are the race of truth.

Even good amateur racers often have bad riding positions. I get low, chin bouncing off the bar, and can hold it there for minutes at a time. I also have ankles like a gazelle, aero-neutral arms, tight clothing, and a clean bicycle. Because of this, Strava grossly overestimates my power on the flat.

My point is that Strava is just as likely to underestimate your power if you have an upright position and wear clothes too big for you.

I’ve noticed that people who train a lot indoors are often not great on the road, because the critical importance of aerodynamics hasn’t sunk home. It’s a lot easier to reduce drag than increase power! Keep that in mind if you do a lot of indoor training this winter. Power is only half the story.

If you’re like fully 95% of cyclists I see on the road, as opposed to those I see on television, “getting faster when getting into mid 50s” would be more easily achieved by improving your riding position than increasing your power. Training with a power meter but no wind risks encouraging a powerful, inefficient style. These people are great to draft behind, but they’re not fast. Not in the long run, at least.

Speaking of drafting, it helps a lot more in the real world than in Zwift.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #105 on: 14 December, 2017, 05:57:47 pm »
I got to about 3.6W/kg last year. But that was back when I weighed 76.5kg...

I'm 3.57W/Kg but unfortunately around 84Kg. 

Goal is to keep my power and get down to 72Kg to achieve 4W/Kg by summer.  I have an appointment with my Motorhome and the French Alps.

« Reply #106 on: 15 December, 2017, 07:46:25 am »
I’ve noticed that people who train a lot indoors are often not great on the road, because the critical importance of aerodynamics hasn’t sunk home. It’s a lot easier to reduce drag than increase power! Keep that in mind if you do a lot of indoor training this winter. Power is only half the story.

I think that is very true.  Cycling in the Pyrenees with a group doing several hundred kms, I noticed that some people who could climb better than I could (most people could!) were very timid on the descents, braking all the way down, it seemed.  I guessed they were turbo trained.  When we got on a leg with flat stretches and a bit of headwind they were also at a disadvantage, altho' on the flat my power to weight ratio was no longer a handicap and I can ride on the drops all day long.

More on topic, the oldest of our group had turned 70 and had 2 'new' knees!  He wasn't slowest and he wasn't the one who had to drop out and take the bus.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #107 on: 15 December, 2017, 10:30:48 am »
It’s a lot easier to reduce drag than increase power!
I'm not convinced that's especially true, if you are talking about riding a regular road bike for hours at a time (obviously if you are doing 10 mile TTs then it probably is). The whole "sportive bike" sector has essentially come about because many people found that the position required by the equivalent racing bike cause them discomfort/pain on longer rides. After my bike fit, I ended up looking at bikes with a significantly higher stack - think Synapse with spacers, rather than a CAAD12 with a slammed stem. The latter would be much more aero, but I don't have the flexibility to hold that position for more than brief bursts - increasing my FTP means that I can ride at a higher (sub FTP) wattage for longer.
And let's face it, riding your turbo and getting fitter is still riding a bike - I'd prefer to spend 3 hours a week doing that than doing yoga so I'm more bendy and would eventually be able to contort into a more aero position. :)

rob

« Reply #108 on: 15 December, 2017, 11:29:08 am »

Easier yes.   Cheaper no.

simonp

« Reply #109 on: 15 December, 2017, 11:39:57 am »
Aggressive aero positions reduce power output. AIUI, etting good at TTing requires training in position to adapt and reduce the loss in power.

Samuel D

« Reply #110 on: 15 December, 2017, 11:56:19 am »
I'm not convinced that's especially true, if you are talking about riding a regular road bike for hours at a time (obviously if you are doing 10 mile TTs then it probably is).

I see it the other way around. Everyone doing TTs knows, because they’re told, that aerodynamics matter greatly. So they all try.

People doing long road rides often do not realise that most of their power is expended on drag and that aerodynamics are almost as important at these speeds. Therefore there is more low-hanging fruit for typical audax riders than typical TT riders.

The whole "sportive bike" sector has essentially come about because many people found that the position required by the equivalent racing bike cause them discomfort/pain on longer rides.

These machines are somewhat missing the point. They fix the discomfort by raising the front end when the more aerodynamic approach to comfort is to slacken the seat-tube angle, allowing hours-long comfort with a low back.

Of course you need to practice riding in the low position, but the required practice is not tremendous. A couple of hours a week suffices.

Besides, the handlebar position is only tenuously related to your riding position. My bars are fairly high, since there are other advantages to that.

Easier yes.   Cheaper no.

It’s free! I’m not talking about buying aero wheels or whatever. Those things are lost in the noise. I’m talking about the huge gain from getting comfortable in a lower riding position, so that you can hold it for extended periods at moderate speeds. Compare Jobst Brandt’s position here to his companions. Brandt was 74 years old in that photo. The two guys behind have a position typical of the 50+ year olds I see on the roads around Paris, except for brief moments of high exertion.

Aggressive aero positions reduce power output.

That’s what indoor training teaches you. Riding on the road teaches you that it’s almost always worth doing it anyway.

But “aggressive” is the wrong word if you’re using a rearward saddle position. It doesn’t feel aggressive but comfortable.

Just trying to make the point that riding faster in your 50s, like riding faster at any age, should usually start with better technique.

« Reply #111 on: 15 December, 2017, 01:38:33 pm »
I'm not convinced that's especially true, if you are talking about riding a regular road bike for hours at a time (obviously if you are doing 10 mile TTs then it probably is).

I see it the other way around. Everyone doing TTs knows, because they’re told, that aerodynamics matter greatly. So they all try.

People doing long road rides often do not realise that most of their power is expended on drag and that aerodynamics are almost as important at these speeds. Therefore there is more low-hanging fruit for typical audax riders than typical TT riders.
You are right that there is lower hanging fruit (I assume that's where Rob's expensive comment comes in - after exhausting the low hanging fruit TTers spend huge money doing things like wind tunnel testing to improve aero). However, the reason why I was suggesting that 10 mile TTs are where aero matters most is because riders are prepared to pursue aero at the expense of comfort over a short ride, especially given it's a race. For a non-race lasting hours, comfort tends to be seen as more important than aero (and even the long distance TTers tend to adjust their position to become more comfortable).

The whole "sportive bike" sector has essentially come about because many people found that the position required by the equivalent racing bike cause them discomfort/pain on longer rides.

These machines are somewhat missing the point. They fix the discomfort by raising the front end when the more aerodynamic approach to comfort is to slacken the seat-tube angle, allowing hours-long comfort with a low back.
Of course you need to practice riding in the low position, but the required practice is not tremendous. A couple of hours a week suffices.

Besides, the handlebar position is only tenuously related to your riding position. My bars are fairly high, since there are other advantages to that.
Slackening the seat angle means a more set back position, right? Which means that to keep the same body angle you need to close the hip angle? For me, that closing of the hip hinge angle makes it significantly more uncomfortable to ride with a low back. My understanding was that closing the hip angle also means reduced power, hence why race bikes and TT bikes in particular have very steep seat angles.
A couple of hours a week on a bike with a low front end did not suffice for me - I rode a bike with low bars regularly for years and had neck and back pain for much of it. A change in bike offered a change in position, and now I'm more comfortable and can enjoy my riding pain free. When I was younger, I could ride that bike - sadly to regain the flexibility of youth would require a lot more time and dedication off the bike!

rob

« Reply #112 on: 15 December, 2017, 02:15:02 pm »
I rode a 400k Audax on my TT bike last year.   I've also done 12 and 24hr TTs, although walking was an issue after the 24.

Some riders have different positions depending on the distance, but I find that a bit of a faff and I am mechanically inept.   I, therefore, worked on a position that could be used for all distances.    I'm not as low as I probably could be but have concentrated on getting narrow.    My back is not great but better after a couple of winter's of pilates and general stretching.   Using this set up on the turbo means I have adapted over time.   Your body can adapt to more aero positions if you change a few mils at a time.

Getting the position right was not that expensive although I did end up buying a new frame.   I did use a professional bike fit.

Of course then I bought wheels/helmet/skinsuit/overshoes/aero mitts.    I have also just redesigned the whole cockpit to make it a bit neater.

I've just realized that, as I'm just about to turn 45, I probably shouldn't be commenting on this thread.

« Reply #113 on: 15 December, 2017, 02:24:06 pm »
I've just realized that, as I'm just about to turn 45, I probably shouldn't be commenting on this thread.
I guess that applies to me as well (I'm slightly younger than you). Then again, getting faster is about a process, and I think we're both in that process (though you are way further along than I am).

« Reply #114 on: 15 December, 2017, 02:42:31 pm »
Somehow, we've turned this into a 'buying new kit' thread. I do have a set of 50mm carbon rims in the shed waiting for me to build them up. Perhaps I need a new frame to hold them?

Given I live in N Yorks, climbing ability is worth quite a lot though

« Reply #115 on: 15 December, 2017, 03:08:59 pm »
Somehow, we've turned this into a 'buying new kit' thread. I do have a set of 50mm carbon rims in the shed waiting for me to build them up. Perhaps I need a new frame to hold them?

Given I live in N Yorks, climbing ability is worth quite a lot though
Any thread has potential to become a buying new kit thread. :) And clearly you should get a lighter frame to offset the increase in wheel weight. ;)

Feels like the answer to the OP is that you can get more power if you do structured training, you can get more aero if you work on it, or you can just buy new kit! :)

rob

« Reply #116 on: 15 December, 2017, 03:21:36 pm »
I've just realised that, as I'm just about to turn 45, I probably shouldn't be commenting on this thread.
I guess that applies to me as well (I'm slightly younger than you). Then again, getting faster is about a process, and I think we're both in that process (though you are way further along than I am).

By far my biggest gains have been between 40 and 45.   There was a 58 minute difference between my first 100m TT in 2013 and my last one this Summer.   Whilst I have made gains through equipment and aero optimisation, I feel that the biggest gains have been through structured training.   By far the biggest leap was between 2016 and 2017 when I found a good coach.   I'm not entirely sure I can much faster next year and have adjusted my goals accordingly.

One of my biggest regrets, apart from ignoring the advice to buy Bitcoin, is that I think I wasted a lot of my 30s not really fulfilling my potential.

« Reply #117 on: 15 December, 2017, 06:02:46 pm »
One of my biggest regrets, apart from ignoring the advice to buy Bitcoin, is that I think I wasted a lot of my 30s not really fulfilling my potential.

I think this is something that many of us feel.  I am 59 and still improving but did virtually no exercise in my 30s.  It has often been said that you can have 2 out of 3 of family, career and hobby.  I would totally agree.  I love my job and would not change anything and have a wonderful family.  Sport whilst it keeps me sane has been a poor third for many years.  It is only with the empty nest and a wife embarking on her 3rd career that I can begin to look more at my hobbies.

« Reply #118 on: 15 December, 2017, 06:40:06 pm »

I think this is something that many of us feel.  I am 59 and still improving but did virtually no exercise in my 30s.  It has often been said that you can have 2 out of 3 of family, career and hobby.  I would totally agree.  I love my job and would not change anything and have a wonderful family.  Sport whilst it keeps me sane has been a poor third for many years.  It is only with the empty nest and a wife embarking on her 3rd career that I can begin to look more at my hobbies.

As a very successful pro cyclist once told me -“ you’re either good enough to make a good living at cycling or it’s only a hobby. There’s nothing in between” .

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #119 on: 15 December, 2017, 08:18:27 pm »
Some interesting points made about the importance of an aero position.

My actual reason for my training is to make my regular cycling easier, not especially faster. 

The advantages of "Aero" for Audaxing are dubious to say the least when it's possible to ride successfully at 15 km/hr. I can't say I saw many, of the thousands of riders I have seen, riding in the drops even.
Comfort was my only concern when I Audaxed, the 2nd thing on my list was a distant 2nd and it was more likely to be food-related than speed-related.
Clearly being "aero" matters more the faster you go and, at Pro speeds around 60km/hr, it matters as much as anything else (let's say 100Watts to cycle at 15km/hr would mean a huge 400Watts at 30km/hr and a superhuman 1600Watts at 60km/hr UNLESS you sorted out your aerodynamics.)
EDIT.  Wiggo required 475 Watts to ride at around 55Km/Hr and win the TT Worlds.  You don't get much more aero than Wiggo on a TT bike but 475Watts for an about an hour is still HUGE and beyond most mortals.  That sort of power in that much of an aero tuck are normally mutually exclusive.

My average speed, of my mainly social rides, hasn't really increased with my power, it just got easier (I rearranged the Lemond equation).  That was the goal, to shrink the hills.  It's nice that i can really dig in and put out some power if I want but I tend not to.  I leave all the pain in the WB studio.

I suppose that next summer I may try and target some of my regular Strava segments but, like Time-Trialling, equipment and conditions play a huge part in the results.  I have a faster road bike now, the wind may be on my back..etc.  Wattbike is the only accurate measure I have of my improvement (or not). 
An FTP test, resulting in a  Power:Weight metric,  is a perfect "Time Trial" in my opinion, it's independent of equipment or conditions.  A level playing field.

On that basis I have been beaten into 2nd place by a middle-aged woman with a P:W of 4W/Kg whereas, out on the road, on a typical TT, I know I would beat her with my power and body weight (especially on a windy day). 

I suppose the question should be: Do you want to go faster into your mid-50s or do you want to make cycling easier in your Mid-50s? 
If you just want to go faster then buy a Triathlon TT bike, some carbon disc wheels,  an aero helmet and a skin-suit.  They really do zip (Zipp?) along, scarily so. 
If you want to make it easier then do some structured, focussed, training and it will get easier out on the road.

rob

« Reply #120 on: 15 December, 2017, 08:26:54 pm »
Agreed, Lee.

I haven't changed my audaxes steed very much.   Maybe lighter wheels.

However, 600s used to wipe me out.   This year I got round one in 34hrs with an 8hr break overnight.   My average riding speed for the same effort is much higher.

dim

« Reply #121 on: 15 December, 2017, 08:51:19 pm »
I rode a 400k Audax on my TT bike last year.   I've also done 12 and 24hr TTs, although walking was an issue after the 24.

Some riders have different positions depending on the distance, but I find that a bit of a faff and I am mechanically inept.   I, therefore, worked on a position that could be used for all distances.    I'm not as low as I probably could be but have concentrated on getting narrow.    My back is not great but better after a couple of winter's of pilates and general stretching.   Using this set up on the turbo means I have adapted over time.   Your body can adapt to more aero positions if you change a few mils at a time.

Getting the position right was not that expensive although I did end up buying a new frame.   I did use a professional bike fit.

Of course then I bought wheels/helmet/skinsuit/overshoes/aero mitts.    I have also just redesigned the whole cockpit to make it a bit neater.

I'm looking at buying another bike in the next few months .... this will be my 'fast' bike for quality rides and one that I will keep for a very long time

I had a very close look at a Scott Foil (used),  but after researching aero vs a lighteight climbing bike, I have decided to get a climbing bike

On the  rides that I do, it is always a loop and there is always wind and I think that I will be faster on a climbing bike for the loop .... the geometry is also more relaxed on a climbing bike so I can use it for long Audax rides with a few Apidura bags

So, I have decided to get a used Scott Addict with Dura Ace Di2 and I will upgrade the wheels to light tubeless ready rims and use fast tubeless tyres. Some guys on the weight Weenies forum say that their Scott Addicts weigh less than 6,5Kg with a few cheap upgrades

“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #122 on: 14 March, 2018, 08:27:07 am »
FYI

I just posted an FTP (Wattbike 20 minute test) of 293 Watts using a 20 min average of 309 Watts.

I started Wattbike in Feb 2016 and bumped it by 16% by Feb 2017.  Now I just bumped it again by another 10% in a year.  Obviously it's going to plateau, and each Watt will be hard won*, but it's nice to have evidence that it's not "game-over" in my mid-50s.

* FTP testing is so painful it's hard to describe.  Never does my body scream, "Please STOP", so loud.  If nothing else the mental strength to carry on to the end of the test is useful on real climbs.  It teaches you that 'there's always more toothpaste in the tube'.

« Reply #123 on: 14 March, 2018, 01:50:39 pm »
FYI

I just posted an FTP (Wattbike 20 minute test) of 293 Watts using a 20 min average of 309 Watts.

I started Wattbike in Feb 2016 and bumped it by 16% by Feb 2017.  Now I just bumped it again by another 10% in a year.  Obviously it's going to plateau, and each Watt will be hard won*, but it's nice to have evidence that it's not "game-over" in my mid-50s.

This is good stuff for me to hear.

I'm nearing my 50th birthday. Been laid off the bike for over 5 years, although other activities including periodic running meant fitness didn't entirely go out the window. 'Naturally' slim build so little gain to be had from weight loss. Began turbo training again in Oct-17 following my own plan, then switched to TrainerRoad (TR) a few weeks ago...

Began TR (Feb-18) with a test at 226w FTP, ~3.2w/kg.

Goal 1 is 3.5w/kg, being a ~9% increase from Feb-18. No good reason that isn't doable.

Goal 2 would be >3.7w/kg, being a further ~6% increase (or ~15% increase from today). We'll see about that, how the motivation fairs etc. Could be interesting. Beyond that is not something I'll bother wasting my brain on yet.

Having a mere "number" as a goal is probably a weakness of my plan, because although it's quantifiable, it's also fairly abstract in terms of the real world. Anchoring the goals to the real world would probably be beneficial...

In terms of real world cycling, I'm primarily interested in simply making it more enjoyable ("easier"), similar to what you've described up-thread. I like riding hills, which is a good job considering where I live, and if I can overtake some other people on those hills then that's always a bonus! Secondly, I'm going on a pootling cycling break late summer that has an option to nip up the Ventoux - so that's some motivation.

Beyond that, though, no other real-world goals. I used to ride a few low-key events, sportives, audaxes etc, so maybe if my plan proceeds in the right direction I might get a lip for some of that again letting me augment the above w/kg goals with more real-world stuff to help maintain the motivation.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #124 on: 19 March, 2018, 11:57:01 am »
Having a mere "number" as a goal is probably a weakness of my plan, because although it's quantifiable, it's also fairly abstract in terms of the real world.

Not at all.  Power:weight has tangible real-world significance (as long as it's measured over a significant period, such as a 20 minute FTP test).

Having 3.2 W/Kg "on tap" for an hour, which is what the numbers are telling you, isn't abstract, it's damn useful.  It also means you're coasting at 150-180 Watts.

I notice the difference about 20 seconds into any climb with my old cycling chums.  For 20 seconds we tend to climb together, digging in to a hardish climb, then I suddenly find I'm talking to myself as the others run out of gas.

Stick with it.  You should find that, like me, your recovery, between hard intervals (on the Turbo or on the road) is improved no end.  My heart rate, after a hard interval, drops back to recovery very quickly now.  In the real-world that means I'm ready for the next hill whilst my buddies are still gasping from the last one.

I'd really like an FTP of 300W.  It's ONLY another 7 Watts but I know just how hard-earned they will be... so I may just have some cake instead.