Author Topic: Wales or Isle of Wight  (Read 5671 times)

Wales or Isle of Wight
« on: 20 July, 2016, 05:38:14 pm »
Thinking of camping but not sure to go either to Wales or Isle of Wight
Any suggestions?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Wales or Isle of Wight
« Reply #1 on: 20 July, 2016, 07:27:12 pm »
Wales.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2 on: 20 July, 2016, 07:37:28 pm »
Both are Worlds apart. The IOW 'feels' like you are getting away from it all because you catch a ferry across a body of water, but it's actually very populated and there are some proper rough parts to it. You get to mingle with coach loads of pensioners which is nice. There are good cycle routes, on and off road. A couple of climbs too. Wild camping tricky at certain times of year.

Wales? Ahh Wales. I love Wales. I plan to spend more time there on my bike. It's stunning.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 20 July, 2016, 08:32:50 pm »
Do you prefer the early 80s or the late 90s?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #4 on: 20 July, 2016, 08:45:30 pm »

« Reply #5 on: 20 July, 2016, 11:21:26 pm »

Your point is?

« Reply #6 on: 21 July, 2016, 12:22:07 am »

Your point is?

How far back you should set your watch.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 21 July, 2016, 12:24:07 am »
Which is which?

The late 90s I can get on Hurst Street...  I've never actually been to the Isle of Wight.

« Reply #8 on: 21 July, 2016, 11:18:36 am »
I would think the Isle of Wight is nearer to the 1880s, not the 1980s.

Anyway, the answer is Wales
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #9 on: 21 July, 2016, 02:01:12 pm »
The Island (as locals call it) is definitely closer to 1980 than 1990. I think of it as stepping back to the 50s or 60s. If you do go there, stick to the western side; basically don't go east of Newport (with the exception of Bembridge and Seaview). The scenery is fabulous and you will avoid the coach loads of old biddies.

I was born and grew up in Shanklin so I know full well what a shithole it's become.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #10 on: 21 July, 2016, 02:33:57 pm »
Why are you referring to 80's and the 90's.
I should of ask what does everyone prefer IOW or Wales

« Reply #11 on: 21 July, 2016, 02:46:21 pm »
I believe the suggestion is that either is a bit like stepping back in time and it depends how far back you wish to go will decide where you go. Which is which however is open to interpretation....

By the way, Wales is a fairly large area. Are you thinking North or South? North Wales is stunning with the Snowdonia Range pretty much in sight wherever you go (unless it's raining - which it usually is) where the south is a bit more rolling and greener before you get to the cities, Cardiff or Swansea which have their charms (I went to Uni in Swansea) but not really suited to camping, although the Gower Peninsula is lovely and quite peaceful but easily in range of a day trip to Swansea.

We camped here a few years ago. It's a lovely out of the way spot

https://www.coolcamping.co.uk/campsites/uk/wales/snowdonia/gwynedd/35-cae-du
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #12 on: 21 July, 2016, 02:47:20 pm »
I see you're quite new here. Apologies if the forum humour has got in the way :).

Don't take any notice of what I write: my view of the Island is tainted (see above) and the only times I've been to Wales it rained almost constantly.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #13 on: 21 July, 2016, 02:57:58 pm »
The IOW is also relatively compact - you can ride round it in a day if you feel so inclined - I think the round the island cycle route is about 65 miles, so for some a half dat ride. So whilst I like the western end of the island, it's be for a day or two only. Wales is substantially larger, but also substantially wetter, depending on time of year usually.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #14 on: 21 July, 2016, 03:45:09 pm »
I believe the suggestion is that either is a bit like stepping back in time and it depends how far back you wish to go will decide where you go. Which is which however is open to interpretation....

By the way, Wales is a fairly large area. Are you thinking North or South? North Wales is stunning with the Snowdonia Range pretty much in sight wherever you go (unless it's raining - which it usually is) where the south is a bit more rolling and greener before you get to the cities, Cardiff or Swansea which have their charms (I went to Uni in Swansea) but not really suited to camping, although the Gower Peninsula is lovely and quite peaceful but easily in range of a day trip to Swansea.

We camped here a few years ago. It's a lovely out of the way spot

https://www.coolcamping.co.uk/campsites/uk/wales/snowdonia/gwynedd/35-cae-du
I spent a lot of time in north Walesbut only went to the main places like Rhyl Conway etc but would like to visit the small villages uncharted  for me any how but i also fancy South wales.
so wales it is thank you all for you advice and forum sense of humour and  I'm sure ill get used to it   ;D

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #15 on: 21 July, 2016, 03:47:13 pm »
 ;)

Well, you do have 'mad' in your name!!

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #16 on: 21 July, 2016, 05:04:04 pm »
If you want uncharted small villages then head to the Welsh Desert area - stunning and barely populated if that is your thing - Elan or Wye valleys for maximum beauty - in my opinion.

What's wrong with Eastern IOW then?  I've only been there twice - as a very young kid and as a teenager but both times one of the highlights was Blackgang  Chine - which is easter as I recall...
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #17 on: 21 July, 2016, 08:23:33 pm »
I have cycle camped on the iow a number of times and out the school holidays it can be very pleasant. There are a lot of attractions and eating places to try. A few weeks ago I was based in Llanwrtyd Wells where there are fewer tourist attractions or eating places but lot's of nice quiet lanes and " interesting" the hills. The road devil's staircase is fun. I I have also cycle camped in Pembrokeshire along the coast. Lot's of pretty coves and bays the with lots of short steep ups and downs  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #18 on: 28 August, 2016, 04:01:51 pm »
New this year is some London DIYers making a daytrip to the IoW as a DIY 300km. Basically 100km to the coast (x two) plus 100km round the island, and others making a daytrip to Wales via the 7Across route. That's more of a stretch though; to get deep into Wales needs 5-600km from London though a midpoint like Discot or oxford makes a good alternate start point.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #19 on: 29 August, 2016, 08:43:43 pm »
There's likely to be less rain on the Isle of Wight compared with Wales!
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #20 on: 29 August, 2016, 08:52:38 pm »
Thing is, on the Isle of Wight, you know where you're going to end up.  Still on the IOW.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #21 on: 29 August, 2016, 10:15:02 pm »
i rode the northern half of Lon Las Cymru (Sustains cycle route the length of Wales) many years ago and thought it was spectacular. The off pavement stretches were especially worthwhile.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #22 on: 29 August, 2016, 11:56:19 pm »
Thing is, on the Isle of Wight, you know where you're going to end up.  Still on the IOW.
;D

« Reply #23 on: 30 August, 2016, 07:32:31 pm »
Do both  :D. I did the devils staircase the other month and have ridden a number of times around the iow both are well worth doing  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #24 on: 01 September, 2016, 08:32:15 pm »
Never been to IOW (where is it btw  ;) and would thoroughly recommend Wales though--as Caerau above look at areas such as the triangle between Llandovery - Devils Bridge -Rhayader, ie `desert` of Wales , no reference though to its aridity (which it isn`t ) but its sparse population and vast swathes of Molinia grass; there is a superb away from it all campsite just east of Cwmystwyth to investigate too
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above