Author Topic: Semaine Federale 30th July - 6th August 2017  (Read 5791 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Semaine Federale 30th July - 6th August 2017
« on: 10 August, 2016, 10:15:30 pm »
http://sf2017.ffct.org/fr/

Calling M. le Maire...

I think YACF has a solemn duty to be there en masse.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: Semaine Federale 30th July - 6th August 2017
« Reply #1 on: 10 August, 2016, 10:26:51 pm »

http://sf2017.ffct.org/fr/I think YACF has a solemn duty to be there en masse.
It'll never happen though. There will only be a handful (like most years). Will you be there Mr Wow ?
Virtually no dormitory accommodation is available. So if you like camping (I'm sure there are a few
on this forum do) you'll be ok.

*Gites and hotels in nearby towns and villages may also be available.

Chris S

« Reply #2 on: 11 August, 2016, 07:14:24 am »
The regular VC167 (plus honoured guests) group will most likely be absent, as it clashes with LEL next year.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3 on: 11 August, 2016, 07:32:37 am »
It has never much appealed to me.  I went to the 2004 one in Cernay and the rides were OK, but the peripheral hoo-hah I found strained and boring, and shot through with self-admiration on the part of the FFCT. Maybe it helps to get half-pissed every evening.

It still annoys me, because few local clubs will organise events while the SF is on.  Still, we usually do a permanent then, which is always fun.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4 on: 11 August, 2016, 08:06:44 am »
I plan to go, my first since I went to Niort in 2012.
A few weeks ago I was sheltering in a café in Mortagne au Perche where I met several of the 2017 organising committee.  Beware - the town is at the top of a stonking great hill and it is very much smaller than Niort so cafes/restaurants etc are going to be crammed.

Chris S

« Reply #5 on: 11 August, 2016, 10:42:48 am »
It has never much appealed to me.  I went to the 2004 one in Cernay and the rides were OK, but the peripheral hoo-hah I found strained and boring, and shot through with self-admiration on the part of the FFCT. Maybe it helps to get half-pissed every evening.

Half-pissed? HALF?

Yeah - you were doing it wrong  ;D ;)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6 on: 11 August, 2016, 11:00:23 am »
I plan to go, my first since I went to Niort in 2012.
A few weeks ago I was sheltering in a café in Mortagne au Perche where I met several of the 2017 organising committee.  Beware - the town is at the top of a stonking great hill and it is very much smaller than Niort so cafes/restaurants etc are going to be crammed.

Nah, it only stonks when you're knackered.

Half-pissed? HALF?

Yeah - you were doing it wrong  ;D ;)

I shall implore Dominique L. to change the rules.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #7 on: 11 August, 2016, 11:43:37 am »
So what is in it for us uninitiated? I've seen photos from this year, through FB as I have friends who are VC167 members. I fancy a trip there if only for a relaxed camping cycling holiday with like minded people but if VC167 are not going then I may give it a miss until the following year.
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

Chris S

« Reply #8 on: 11 August, 2016, 11:59:35 am »
So what is in it for us uninitiated? I've seen photos from this year, through FB as I have friends who are VC167 members. I fancy a trip there if only for a relaxed camping cycling holiday with like minded people but if VC167 are not going then I may give it a miss until the following year.

Exit Stage Left sums it up quite well here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7sjUqrDbdU

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #9 on: 11 August, 2016, 07:11:19 pm »
Thanks for that Chris. I'm on the end of that vid. Fame, at last!

« Reply #10 on: 11 August, 2016, 09:33:41 pm »
Having had a formatting problem with one of my cameras. I'm pleased to say that editing material from the other two is a much less laborious activity.
The problem may have been connected to the poor signposting to the opening and closing ceremonies. There was 'ad-lib' Kir in 3 litre boxes at the closing ceremony, as so few made either event. People were walking away with 6 boxes of souvenir glasses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOLrcpQJeBg

« Reply #11 on: 12 August, 2016, 09:38:19 am »
Surely you can do the event and enjoy yourself without VC167?

« Reply #12 on: 12 August, 2016, 08:24:41 pm »
Seems a bit of a mixed response, but popular with some,  I am certainly upfrit if the UK has not fallen off a financial cliff this time next year. I suspect that this is one where commitment can't be left too late. Registration, Bike Bus etc etc. From what I see Exit Stage Left vids over a number of years  indicate people having a really very pleasant time overall.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: 12 August, 2016, 09:32:00 pm »
Seems the OP is non-committal.

Chris S

« Reply #14 on: 12 August, 2016, 09:35:36 pm »

The OP is currently off camping himself, I think.

Anyway - the wording of the original suggests he is awaiting a response from Mr Larrington Monsieur Le Maire.

« Reply #15 on: 13 August, 2016, 07:23:17 am »
Seems a bit of a mixed response, but popular with some, 
I went in 2012 having promised myself for 20 odd years that "I will go one day".  I kept away from the crowds on the road by leaving early each day, and I had no interest in the ceremonies.  The interest for me was in interacting with the official/locals at the villages etc along the way, and of course on the camp site.
Registration, Bike Bus etc etc.
Registration closes a couple of months ahead I think, and it opens about the end of February.  Mortagne au Perche is about 80 miles from the ferry at Ouistreham, so within easy reach for those who live in the southern counties.

Looking at the video - I noticed that, with a wry smile, the organiser said that the permanence (the centre) will be at the bottom of the hill to town.

« Reply #16 on: 13 August, 2016, 08:22:21 am »
I've been 4 times and it's different every time.
I'd like to go next year but my usual compatriots will all be riding or helping on LEL.
I have no desire to join a cycle camping party, we very much glamp. We ride about 100km each day and after that I like to sit in a chair, drink refrigerated alcoholic drinks and eat good French food at a table.

« Reply #17 on: 13 August, 2016, 12:18:57 pm »

Looking at the video - I noticed that, with a wry smile, the organiser said that the permanence (the centre) will be at the bottom of the hill to town.

That's down to me being a little worse for wear from the abundant free 'Kir'. The Permanence will be at the Carre Perche, the big building that's used at PBP. The evening meals will be there, and the 'Camping Federale' will be at the bottom of the hill. Very handy for getting back at the end of the evening.

Normally, I'd be dubious about a town of 4,513 people hosting an event with a possible 15,000 participants, but they handle PBP well enough. I'd be even more enthusiastic about Villaines hosting.

Bairn Again

« Reply #18 on: 14 August, 2016, 10:14:23 pm »
Were just back from an extended "SF + a week" holiday - went to Albi last year too and also Saumur in 2008. 

Its great fun overall.  One interesting aspect this year was that we got asked two or three times a day about the Brexit vote by intrigued / perplexed French riders.   

Next years SF doesn't really appeal, were not that keen on northern France generally - too many bad experiences of camping holidays in Brittany where the weather was worse than if wed have stayed at home in Scotland.  Theres also LEL to ride or help at.  Epinal 2018 looks more like it. 

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #19 on: 29 August, 2017, 05:35:19 pm »
I've been 4 times and it's different every time.
I'd like to go next year but my usual compatriots will all be riding or helping on LEL.
I have no desire to join a cycle camping party, we very much glamp. We ride about 100km each day and after that I like to sit in a chair, drink refrigerated alcoholic drinks and eat good French food at a table.

Are you coming to the post-LEL knees up in York? I'd love to hear about SF whether it would suit Mrs Vicarage and I.

« Reply #20 on: 29 August, 2017, 06:32:53 pm »
I wasn't planning to come to York but I will be going to Tan Hill? Or you could come visit?

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #21 on: 29 August, 2017, 06:48:12 pm »
I wasn't planning to come to York but I will be going to Tan Hill? Or you could come visit?

I can't do Tan Hill due to work... Xmas party seems next likely opportunity. :-S

« Reply #22 on: 29 August, 2017, 06:53:40 pm »
[interrupting a private conversation]

We enjoyed our first SF; met up with some unlikely people; had a linguistically difficult chat with a Frenchman about the Birmingham and the Ferodo factory there that made brake-linings for cars.  And our hosts practiced their culinary skills on us.  What's not to like?

« Reply #23 on: 29 August, 2017, 07:39:00 pm »

The OP is currently off camping himself, I think.

Anyway - the wording of the original suggests he is awaiting a response from Mr Larrington Monsieur Le Maire.

Non! M. Le Maire is a french politician, prénom Bruno (and surely destined for a typically messy ending reserved for his ilk).
The person you want is M. le Maire de Mortagne-au-Perche (or some such place) as indicated by OP. Please fais attention.

(Pedant they all cry in unison  :smug: )