Author Topic: [LEL17] Shall I or shall I not?  (Read 8254 times)

Re: Shall I or shall I not?
« Reply #25 on: 24 November, 2016, 10:51:36 pm »
There is no difference in difficulty between a normal 1000 and LEL. Just a couple more days of riding, at a lower overall speed.
It's asking for the pass that concerns me, not the ride difficulty.  I'm thinking of LEL as a normal 1000 with 200 flat km across the fens added in both directions and extra time. The mille penines is not a normal 1000 in my opinion.

When preparing for PBP,one of the ways that I fitted in a long ride (100 hilly miles) was to set off at 5 or 6 p.m on a Friday evening , with a plan to arrive home by 3 or 4 a.m. I could get just enough sleep to function normally on Saturday and do a ride with Mrs. M. on Sunday.
As others have commented above , you should aim to do an SR series to prepare for a long ride like LEL, but that is largely to build up endurance and experience how you react to long rides and night riding.
If you are a fast rider anyway, you may get enough sleep . Only you know your capabilities.
I decided not to ride PBP in 2007 due to family pressures, so know exactly the position that you are in.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #26 on: 25 November, 2016, 10:32:54 am »
I'm generally ok to ride all day Saturday once a month. So this covers the 200, 300 and 400. (Did severn across last year got back at 3, home to bed at 4, up for normal sunday at 10). I also have a weekend pass for BCM in may. So the SR series is covered. On weeks when I'm not doing an audax ride I get 100km in and home by lunchtime.

But the LEL is essentially a full week off work so that's a week that could be a family holiday. Whereas a 100km ride could be Fri sat sun mon, so only 2 days off work.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #27 on: 08 December, 2016, 10:01:39 am »
I had every intention of riding after helping at Brampton in 2013. Unfortunately my work situation is so crap at the moment (and is likely to continue well into the new year) I'm not sure I could put the miles in to be confident enough to finish the ride - so I've volunteered to help at Brampton again  :thumbsup:

So I'll see you there, also volunteering  :thumbsup:

Chris N

« Reply #28 on: 10 January, 2017, 03:56:45 pm »
I can't decide if I should ride or not.

I haven't ridden a 200 in 3 1/2 years, I can just about manage 100km in one go at the moment.  I'm moving house in a couple of months and will need to do a load of work on it (fortunately we'll be skint so might not be able to do much to begin with).  I'll miss my kids, and it's the last year we'll be able to do holidays during term time so taking a week to myself is pretty selfish.  I found the actual ride a bit dull last time I did it in 2009.

But I want to ride - I want something to aim for as I need to get fit and lose some weight, and I miss riding the long audaxes.  I think I can fit an SR in beforehand to prepare.  My wife has said that she's ok with me taking a week off to ride it, and I've got a lovely new bike to do it on.  :thumbsup:

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #29 on: 10 January, 2017, 04:48:50 pm »
I haven't ridden a 200 in 3 1/2 years, I can just about manage 100km in one go at the moment. 
So LEL could be the goal needed to get you going again.

I found the actual ride a bit dull last time I did it in 2009.
I didn't ride LEL in '09, but I understand that the route has been improved to remove some of the more boring bits. I didn't find the 2013 route boring, but I was prepared for the fenland section.

But I want to ride - I want something to aim for as I need to get fit and lose some weight, and I miss riding the long audaxes.  I think I can fit an SR in beforehand to prepare.
I like having big events to aim for because it forces me to get out and do some smaller events which end up being really enjoyable. (I've only ever done an SR when I've got a 1,200+ km ride in the same year.) Enter LEL and you'll end up riding some other brevets that you'll enjoy. DIY200 / DIY300 as a way to explore you new area?

My wife has said that she's ok with me taking a week off to ride it, and I've got a lovely new bike to do it on.  :thumbsup:
So it sounds like it's your choice. Would you rather spend the week away with the family or getting back onto the long distance horse?
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Ben T

« Reply #30 on: 11 January, 2017, 11:20:23 am »

I haven't ridden a 200 in 3 1/2 years, I can just about manage 100km in one go at the moment.  I'm moving house in a couple of months and will need to do a load of work on it (fortunately we'll be skint so might not be able to do much to begin with).  I'll miss my kids, and it's the last year we'll be able to do holidays during term time so taking a week to myself is pretty selfish.  I found the actual ride a bit dull last time I did it in 2009.

But I want to ride - I want something to aim for as I need to get fit and lose some weight, and I miss riding the long audaxes.  I think I can fit an SR in beforehand to prepare.  My wife has said that she's ok with me taking a week off to ride it, and I've got a lovely new bike to do it on.  :thumbsup:
I envy your certainty, if you know you want to ride surely it's an easy decision. Pity those of us that don't even know whether we want to or not... :)

Chris N

« Reply #31 on: 11 January, 2017, 04:41:46 pm »
Thanks Adam. :thumbsup:

My wife has said that she's ok with me taking a week off to ride it, and I've got a lovely new bike to do it on.  :thumbsup:
So it sounds like it's your choice. Would you rather spend the week away with the family or getting back onto the long distance horse?

I'd like to think I can fit both in.  I think I'm going to ride, but I need to make sure it's the right decision - it's quite self-indulgent.

« Reply #32 on: 11 January, 2017, 06:03:59 pm »
Self-indulgency is always a risk with an event like this. You do right to be cautious.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #33 on: 19 January, 2017, 09:36:17 pm »

Get on with it you complete mopsy topsy!

You'll be fine.

:-*

H

Chris N

« Reply #34 on: 20 January, 2017, 08:20:44 am »
Get on with it you complete mopsy topsy!

You'll be fine.

:-*

H

Already entered. :thumbsup: