Author Topic: Easter Arrow 2017  (Read 32792 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Easter Arrow 2017
« on: 14 October, 2016, 08:41:23 am »
Easter's late next year so less chance of frost and snow so I'm thinking of setting up a Diesel Express Easter Arrow Basingstoke - Banbury - Daventry - Watford Gap - Market Harborough - Melton Mowbray - Grantham Services - Horncastle over the Humber Bridge - Market Weighton - York, which weighs in at 436km
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Re: Easter Arrow 2017
« Reply #1 on: 14 October, 2016, 11:35:50 am »
Easter's late next year so less chance of frost and snow

Summer is even later, so the Summer Arrows and Darts always seem to be the better option to me.  The rules at Brevet Awards don't distinguish between 24 hour team Arrow events, but I think only the Easter Arrow counts for the ACP awards at ACP awards but I may be wrong there.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 14 October, 2016, 11:48:10 am »
Summer Arrows don't exist as far as ACP is concerned.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 14 October, 2016, 02:24:36 pm »
i wonder what %age of Arrow riders do it for the related ACP awards?

I really fancy a Summer Arrow, but it's a shame they get such a small turnout. Easter seems .. too risk-prone for me in our climate. Despite recent warming, there is a lot of ice around at Easter  :-\
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #4 on: 14 October, 2016, 02:30:07 pm »
i wonder what %age of Arrow riders do it for the related ACP awards?

I really fancy a Summer Arrow, but it's a shame they get such a small turnout. Easter seems .. too risk-prone for me in our climate. Despite recent warming, there is a lot of ice around at Easter  :-\

That's why I thought I'd try a late Easter.  My only other attempt was snowed off in Lincoln, but that was a March easter.  Risk of frost drops off sharply in April.  And most of the night section will follow roads that are treated.  A larger worry would be a northeasterly wind.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5 on: 14 October, 2016, 02:41:47 pm »
...Easter seems .. too risk-prone for me in our climate. Despite recent warming, there is a lot of ice around at Easter  :-\

That's part of the charm.

Bairn Again

« Reply #6 on: 14 October, 2016, 04:17:31 pm »
Good Friday 2017 is my birthday. 

What better way to spend it.....

....can think of many!

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #7 on: 14 October, 2016, 04:22:25 pm »
...Easter seems .. too risk-prone for me in our climate. Despite recent warming, there is a lot of ice around at Easter  :-\

That's part of the charm.

ISTR you telling me two or three years ago, as we descended towards Northallerton (and the Sofa of Doom), that the temperature had warmed up to minus one. #teamsparejumper.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

rob

« Reply #8 on: 14 October, 2016, 04:48:38 pm »
In the times we rode we had near freezing temperatures overnight (but never ice) and one with daytime temps in the high 20s (2011 was also a late Easter).

We had our fare share of headwinds, but at least one year with the wind behind all the way.

As Matt says, Easter is pretty variable which adds to the excitement of the event.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9 on: 14 October, 2016, 07:41:34 pm »
In the times we rode we had near freezing temperatures overnight (but never ice) and one with daytime temps in the high 20s (2011 was also a late Easter).

We had our fare share of headwinds, but at least one year with the wind behind all the way.

As Matt says, Easter is pretty variable which adds to the excitement of the event.
Woah - that's not EXACTLY what I said! :P

The only one I rode was a very late Easter. (it was with Simon Feline et al ... any of you reading this that can remind me the year??)

It was about -7'c when we set off. There was rain forecast for the night - and we did indeed get some - so I was VERY anxious about the weather. (Fortunately it didnt rain tons, and when raining the temperature was very positive. I do feel we got off lightly though. )

And we started in Dorset, not Oop North where the Hard'uns dwell!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #10 on: 14 October, 2016, 07:42:11 pm »
It got a little cool last year, but still well above freezing ISTR.  And a lovely south-westerly tailwind from Ramsey all the way to Beverley  :thumbsup: :smug:
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

rob

« Reply #11 on: 14 October, 2016, 08:06:26 pm »
The joyous part of the arrows I put together was the rather convenient location of my parents place.

We have arrived there at all hours of the day and always been fed and watered.   Got a bit of sleep occasionally as well.

« Reply #12 on: 14 October, 2016, 08:18:22 pm »
It has crossed my mind to set up a 500km Arrow from Milton Keynes and get a team of at least another 3 riders for next year for my year record, assuming I'm doing it then. It'd be nice for me to have the company, but I wouldn't ride if the weather means that I'd get easier miles doing something else.

IIRC I've ridden about 9 Easter Arrows. They have ranged from hot weather (but almost always chilly or cold at night) to strong wind with heavy rain. They've often been windy and one had very strong winds then snow at night.

Also, I think it might be better to use the other Wetherspoons in York next to the Travelodge. Lots more room for bike parking.

Phil W

« Reply #13 on: 14 October, 2016, 08:22:48 pm »
I hope to make a successful go of the Easter Arrow next year.  The weather could be anything from freezing to a heat wave given its timing.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #14 on: 15 October, 2016, 09:15:40 am »
Probably a good time to say that THoFC will be open and available for next year's arrow. I will post a reminder in the new year, and remember to check my FB messages!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #15 on: 15 October, 2016, 11:43:47 am »
I think you'll find that the Punch Bowl will NOT be an option at all.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: 15 October, 2016, 11:48:46 am »
Our ride into York usually takes us past the bigger Wetherspoons and it would definitely be a better choice particularly after last years experience. It should be possible for us to get Lucy to make reference to using this as a finishing option in the info that is sent to riders. My guess is it's only 4-5 minutes (max) further away from the station by bike.

AndyC

Likewise, agreed - plus it opens an hour earlier at 07:00...That's the 'Postern Gate' btw. I think we've outgrown the Punchbowl.

« Reply #17 on: 15 October, 2016, 12:24:57 pm »
I want to do an arrow this year, and reach 100 points (not started yet), and do four essex calendar events for the essex sr (don't want to rely on ece or diy). I need an arrow team!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #18 on: 15 October, 2016, 12:38:55 pm »
I want to do an arrow this year, and reach 100 points (not started yet), and do four essex calendar events for the essex sr (don't want to rely on ece or diy). I need an arrow team!

I can try to work out an easy as possible 500km route if you like.
It'd probably work best as a 9-10am start, head to Kings Lynn area, do a short loop before heading west in the evening and going pretty direct to York via the Trent. With a SW wind, you should get a good tailwind to Kings Lynn area, do the loop while waiting for the wind to drop, then West with a light crosswind and north with a cross-tailwind. It'd have very little climbing too.
The wind might not play ball, but you could always cut the loop out and go for a shorter distance.

« Reply #19 on: 15 October, 2016, 11:18:29 pm »
Thanks TG. I just need a team then.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: 17 October, 2016, 08:41:21 pm »
Thanks TG. I just need a team then.

There must be some likely recruits in the MK area??

If not you'd be more than welcome to join an Essex team - yes, ACME are aiming for more than one...and I can't believe I've actually started thinking about Arrows before Chr*stm+s, and with a late Easter next year too!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #21 on: 17 October, 2016, 08:46:09 pm »
There must be some likely recruits in the MK area??

If not you'd be more than welcome to join an Essex team - yes, ACME are aiming for more than one...and I can't believe I've actually started thinking about Arrows before Chr*stm+s, and with a late Easter next year too!

between xmas and new year would nicely coincide with the rapha festive 500.

« Reply #22 on: 17 October, 2016, 10:03:09 pm »
I fancy having a go at something like this but I don't know of anybody else nearby who does. I may need to find a team willing to have an old, fat, slow bloke who is uncertain of doing the distance, tag along with them. It is two weeks before the London Wales London ride that I do want to have a go at (is that a good or bad thing).

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #23 on: 17 October, 2016, 10:49:51 pm »
Me too. Hoping ACME can form an unhurried 2nd team prepared to tolerate my lack of pace.
CCS - Setting the Standards

« Reply #24 on: 17 October, 2016, 10:57:28 pm »
Me too. Hoping ACME can form an unhurried 2nd team prepared to tolerate my lack of pace.

Says the hyper randonneur.

I am up for an ACME B team and I think Bobb is as well. That's the core of a team at least.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways