Author Topic: Terra Nova Laser: Has anyone shortened the end poles?  (Read 6932 times)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Terra Nova Laser: Has anyone shortened the end poles?
« on: 27 February, 2018, 09:05:12 pm »

I have one of these tents.  I'm about to give it some intensive bike-ported use, and I'd like to shorten the end poles.  Has anyone done this?

The rigid parts of the tent consist of one main central pole, which folds, and two carbon rods, one at either end, which don't.  This is a problem, as they're a bit too long.  I'd like to carry the tent in a frame bag (this sort of thing) but the rods are 56cm and I've got about 52cm to play with inside the frame. 

In the past I've carried the tent lashed to the top of the rack, like in the picture below.  I'd prefer to carry it under the top tube though, for several reasons.  Removing the end rods in transit isn't really an option: I've tried that before and it makes the tent a complete pain to pitch; I'd leave it strapped to the rack rather than remove them again. 

The options I can think of are:
1) Shorten the poles.  Has anyone tried this?  I'm inclined to think it would spoil the cut of the tent, and am loath to try. 
2) Saw the poles in half and reattach using some sort of sheath, so I can shorten them for transit and then reconnect them for pitching
3) Similar to (2), buy some normal telescoping tent poles and cut them to size.  I'd only need a single join in each pole, so I could manufacture two end poles that had an elastic join in them, and halve them for transit. 
4) Get some shorter dummy poles so I can remove the long ones but use the dummies to keep the tent in order during transit.  I doubt this will work tbh.

Does anyone have any experience of doing any of these things?  I'm tending towards (3) but would like to hear from anyone who's done it before. 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Terra Nova Laser: Has anyone shortened the end poles?
« Reply #1 on: 27 February, 2018, 09:14:23 pm »
Obvious suggestion: Remove your original poles and put them in a Safe Place.  Whatever strategy you end up using, do it with alternative poles, so you haven't compromised the originals.

If they're anything like the corner poles on an Akto, I expect you could obtain materials to molish a splittable replacement (as per option #2) from a seller of kite stuff.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #2 on: 27 February, 2018, 09:14:42 pm »
Shortening the poles will ruin the shape of the pitched tent. I used to put up fabric structures when I was at uni., any variation in the setting out affected the way these things pitched, dramatically.

They use the same design programmes for fabric structures as they do for tents.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #3 on: 27 February, 2018, 09:25:32 pm »
Yes, hence why I'm thinking more along the lines of a foldable/splittable pole. 

That's a good suggestion on the kite front, I know a shop I can go to for that.  I'd been thinking of cannibalising an alu tent pole but that would probably involve some modification of the sockets the poles fit into, as the current ones are quite narrow and the fit is quite tight.

« Reply #4 on: 27 February, 2018, 09:26:50 pm »
I might have a knackered tent you can cannibalise...

« Reply #5 on: 27 February, 2018, 09:39:40 pm »
I've got a Laser of some sort and I think my end poles fold - worth checking with Terra Nova if they could sell you a spare set, assuming they meet requirements.

« Reply #6 on: 27 February, 2018, 09:50:39 pm »
Why not measure the length and see if you can get some alu replacements that split.   Anything too long can be cut down with a pipe cutter. 

« Reply #7 on: 27 February, 2018, 10:17:45 pm »
I have a Laser Competition 1.  The end poles split and are shock-corded.  The pack size is about 42 cm.  I can do a photo if that helps.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #8 on: 27 February, 2018, 10:26:24 pm »
I have a Laser Competition 1.  The end poles split and are shock-corded.  The pack size is about 42 cm.  I can do a photo if that helps.

Please.

« Reply #9 on: 27 February, 2018, 10:54:58 pm »
There you go.  Note that the pole has the usual internal shock cord like a 'normal' pole but also has an external (and somewhat beefier) one also.

20180227_223624 by jwilton634, on Flickr

20180227_223814 by jwilton634, on Flickr

20180227_223736 by jwilton634, on Flickr

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #10 on: 27 February, 2018, 11:26:02 pm »
 :thumbsup: I gotta get me some of those  :thumbsup:

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #11 on: 28 February, 2018, 12:32:53 pm »
The previous owner of my Zephyros cut the poles in half as per option 2 just for this purpose.
They stuck a wider tube over to allow re-connection. It works fine with no issues.

Rich

Chris N

« Reply #12 on: 28 February, 2018, 12:57:12 pm »
If you don't want to do it yourself, Stuart at Bearbones can make custom length single or multi-piece poles in carbon or aluminium to suit.  http://www.bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/shop/?product_cat=shelter

« Reply #13 on: 06 March, 2018, 08:53:32 am »
If you don't want to do it yourself, Stuart at Bearbones can make custom length single or multi-piece poles in carbon or aluminium to suit.  http://www.bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/shop/?product_cat=shelter
Ooh, that's an interesting and useful site, thank you  :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #14 on: 08 July, 2019, 10:18:38 pm »
A bit late for Karla's expedition – or perhaps just in time for this year's – but there is now a Compact version of the Terra Nova Laser. https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/terra-nova-laser-compact-1-tent-D1214026.html?colour=98
Packed size just 30cm x 14cm.

Also of interest might be the Big Agnes bikepacking range. Not only does it use special shorter poles for pack size, but the stuff sack the tents come in is actually a waterproof bikepacking bag designed to be able to strap on as a bar roll for even a drop bar bike.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #15 on: 08 July, 2019, 10:32:02 pm »
Doesn’t help, but when I was getting my kit out for last weekend, (I needed a 2 person tent) I happened to pick up the Laser Competition 2 bag by mistake, and did think I’d picked up a groundsheet for something.
It is simpler than it looks.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #16 on: 08 July, 2019, 10:40:52 pm »
A disadvantage of the Big Agnes tents is that they are American, and therefore designed to have absolutely zero thermal insulation capability.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #17 on: 08 July, 2019, 10:48:46 pm »
A disadvantage of the Big Agnes tents is that they are American, and therefore designed to have absolutely zero thermal insulation capability.
I got that impression from their website too.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #18 on: 09 July, 2019, 08:05:44 am »
Do the poles from the new laxer compact tents fit?  I think their main aim is a smaller pack length?

https://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and-spares/all-tents/laser-compact-2-tent/

Phil W

« Reply #19 on: 09 July, 2019, 06:08:24 pm »
I'd have bought some cheap fibre glass tent poles and cut them to size.