Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 451944 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #4425 on: 30 May, 2024, 05:02:01 pm »
Track saws I find awkward: unless you have a bench with a groove for the blade to run in you have to hang it over the edge, so if you're not a leftie you're handling the saw on the wrong side with the weaker arm or leaning all the way across the bench to use the right.  And unless you shell out untold shekels for a looooong track you're limited to short cuts.

Agree re fences, but if you're ripping sheet goods 2m long on a table saw the options are limited.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4426 on: 30 May, 2024, 05:23:24 pm »

I think the generally approved option is to out a sheet of pink foam under the work piecj
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #4427 on: 30 May, 2024, 06:25:16 pm »

I think the generally approved option is to out a sheet of pink foam under the work piecj

.. or have a sheet of sacrificial MDF under the workpiece for the saw blade to just cut into on the plunge.   Foam insulation works but makes a mess with all the bits that get cut out with each pass of the blade.

« Reply #4428 on: 30 May, 2024, 10:52:36 pm »
The same applies to fences on routers and jigsaws - either use the clamped straight edge method - or for a router I have a fitting that works with the tracksaw rail.  Accurate every time.

The only way to cut a presentable straight line with a jigsaw is to put it back on the shelf and use something else.

« Reply #4429 on: Yesterday at 08:15:39 am »
The same applies to fences on routers and jigsaws - either use the clamped straight edge method - or for a router I have a fitting that works with the tracksaw rail.  Accurate every time.

The only way to cut a presentable straight line with a jigsaw is to put it back on the shelf and use something else.
^this
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4430 on: Yesterday at 08:16:24 am »
My benches have face vices that get in the way of the track saw.  I'm thinking vaguely of making a false top with a groove to take the blade, but I'd still have to pay for a long track, which would cost more than my cheap Screwfix saw, whose 2x70cm tracks don't marry up properly. Pieceashit.

Meanwhile, there's nothing like a table saw and fence for repeat cuts.  Earlier this week I ripped some 200 x 40 boards down to 10cm (well, 10 cm - 0.5 x kerf) with just one set-up.

Since this is the Fecking Div thread I'll add that dust evacuation on the saw is rubbish and I didn't cover my bike first.  It'll all blow away next ride.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #4431 on: Yesterday at 09:46:20 am »
There are lots of videos on that YouTube they have now giving instructions on how to construct your own tracks for standard circular/skill saws. Not as convenient as a stand alone tracksaw, but for the occasional use a damn sight cheaper. 
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #4432 on: Yesterday at 02:02:22 pm »
Aye, I made up some saw boards a few years ago. Screw a piece of wood (1x½ in my case, I think) along the factory-cut edge of a sheet of ply - this becomes your guide.

Run your circular saw along this guide and lo, you have a straight-edge cut to the exact width of your saw's base. Clamp to the work along the desired cut line, and you should have accurate cutting with minimal setup (though clamping in a way that doesn't obstruct the saw can take a bit of thought).

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4433 on: Today at 09:00:03 am »
Yeah, I suppose I gave up rather easily with the track saw - it'd be easy enough to knock something up.  I'll think about it.

« Reply #4434 on: Today at 09:16:38 am »
Paper napkin from Leon in the pocket of a shirt that's just been for a programme 5 wash.
Brown muck everywhere.
Gah!