Author Topic: anyone got a copy of Mapsource for US/Canada?  (Read 982 times)

Martin

anyone got a copy of Mapsource for US/Canada?
« on: 09 September, 2013, 08:49:39 am »
I'm going there in a week and plan to do some DIY's; I can borrow a map for my device when I get there but would like to convert my google maps routes into something I can follow beforehand

Would I need to have the actual maps on my own mapsource or will it just send the waypoints?

thanks in advance

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Re: anyone got a copy of Mapsource for US/Canada?
« Reply #1 on: 09 September, 2013, 11:25:42 am »
You can load waypoints/routes/tracks in MapSource for an area where you don't have maps, they will just show on a blank background. So you can still transfer them to and from a GPS device.

If you install Garmin BaseCamp, it includes a "Global Map", which will also be available in MapSource. This map is very lacking in detail, and rather inaccurate, ie it only has A roads. But maybe a bit more useful than a blank map.

You can get free maps from OpenStreetMap. This is the easiest website: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
Just pick a country/state, and it will give you a download link, which includes an installer for MapSource. These maps are usually pretty good, mostly accurate and complete for roads. Though parts of the US may be a bit behind.

Re: anyone got a copy of Mapsource for US/Canada?
« Reply #2 on: 10 September, 2013, 08:38:21 am »
Fuaran is right, I used Opensource maps during all my time in the states, they were always very good and sometimes better than the garmin version.