Author Topic: Heart of England calendar event or Rough Diamond Perm?  (Read 2274 times)

Heart of England calendar event or Rough Diamond Perm?
« on: 29 December, 2014, 04:44:35 pm »
I would really like to challenge myself to do my first 300  this year and pressures of work etc limit it to one of the above.

I am a slow rider so dont want too tough a 300 .The h.of e.  is slightly hillier but I would have to do the r.d. as a perm due to work commitments .

Anyone done both that could give me a comparison?

alfapete

• Oh dear
Re: Heart of England calendar event or Rough Diamond Perm?
« Reply #1 on: 29 December, 2014, 04:56:08 pm »
Have only done the Rough Diamond and it was my first 300 too. Found it manageable, with a reasonably gentle flat finish from the Severn Bridge (though as a Perm I was able to start and finish in Beckford rather than Tewkesbury). Prevailing winds are more likely to be helpful when legs are tired - I had a strong westerley and the opening 100km was tough!

Good luck with it!
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #2 on: 29 December, 2014, 05:13:24 pm »
Havent done the RD but I'd say the HoE is a good one for a first 300.  The worst of it comes in the first stage....flat until Daventry, then a short climb followed by a bit of corrugation until final control and last stage is just a drag race all the way home.  I managed to heave my flabby carcass round it in under 12 hours on one occasion, so it is definitely an easy one.

« Reply #3 on: 29 December, 2014, 05:29:27 pm »
I've done both a couple of times....The Rough Diamond would be my preference as a first 300, especially if you do it on a day with a strong South Westerly ;D

I like the H.o.E as well, but do seem to find the 50k before and after Daventry quite tiring for some reason, although after that, it is quite a quick ride back to Cirencester.

Cheers,

Peter.
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #4 on: 29 December, 2014, 05:41:35 pm »
Have only done the Rough Diamond and it was my first 300 too. Found it manageable, with a reasonably gentle flat finish from the Severn Bridge (though as a Perm I was able to start and finish in Beckford rather than Tewkesbury). Prevailing winds are more likely to be helpful when legs are tired - I had a strong westerley and the opening 100km was tough!

Good luck with it!

Thanks to everyone for the replies so far.

I think I am leaning towards the Rough Diamond Perm. If I started at 0500 in Tewkesbury would there be anything open in Beckford as a a control point?

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #5 on: 29 December, 2014, 06:09:52 pm »
I've done the HoE (as my first 300) but never yet managed the RD. I'd lean towards doing the HoE as a calendar event rather than a solo first 300. So if it were me, it would probably depend on whether I'd have company on the perm.
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #6 on: 29 December, 2014, 06:55:05 pm »
Thanks to everyone for the replies so far.

I think I am leaning towards the Rough Diamond Perm. If I started at 0500 in Tewkesbury would there be anything open in Beckford as a a control point?

24 hour petrol station on the A46 just south of Ashton under Hill - only a few hundred metres off route. It was my start and finish point, hence acceptable by Mark (subject to his prior approval)
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 29 December, 2014, 07:51:35 pm »
For a first 300, I'd always pick a calendar event over a solo perm. The Heart of England is a little tougher early on but there isn't much in it. Both are well-thought-out, benign routes.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #8 on: 29 December, 2014, 09:12:27 pm »
I'm signed up for the HoE, never done it before.
I've ridden the RD as a perm with a mate last April, having company was a boost.
I agree with LWaB, go with the calendar event, unless you've got company for the RD.
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #9 on: 30 December, 2014, 08:44:04 am »
Do Peter Holden ' s Heart of England 300, I've ridden it about 10 times, and as Flaatuus notes - the first half of the first stage is the hardest stretch. There is a few km after Daventry that might get you cursing as well.

The Rough Diamond has a good climb on stage one, but all riders seem to cope with it fairly well, there's short rolling sections after the first control and again just before the second control, and the steady pull from Llangwm to Mynedd Bach.

The Rough Diamond is much the quicker route.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #10 on: 30 December, 2014, 10:24:10 am »
For a first 300, I'd always pick a calendar event over a solo perm. The Heart of England is a little tougher early on but there isn't much in it. Both are well-thought-out, benign routes.

The opportunity to ride with fellow folk at a similar pace is a big + for a first timer. HoE is an enjoyable route (nice scenery, meaning a few hills and lovely lanes) with well-established Control cafe's/pubs and a super run back to Cirencester.

If you are looking for a 300 Perm, my Cotswold and Thames 300 has good route/controls and I can email Routesheet and gps if you PM me.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

« Reply #11 on: 30 December, 2014, 06:04:03 pm »
I'd thoroughly recommend the Heart of England as a first 300. Lovely route, no major climbs (OK maybe the Abdale Alps near the start), incredibly rural despite going near several major conurbations. Only drawbacks are that there are some long draggy sections where it's difficult to understand why you are struggling - it's actually going gradually uphill but there is no visual clue to this - and the last leg heads into the prevailing wind. Providing I'm free that weekend I'll be riding.

JamesBradbury

• The before-ride picture is even worse
    • James Thinks
« Reply #12 on: 30 December, 2014, 09:16:16 pm »
Glad to hear the Rough Diamond is a reasonable one. I'm trying to persuade my wife to do it with me on the tandem as her first 300. Not too hilly is best for the tandem. She was having a bad day on our 200. For some reason she thinks she could never manage further than that, but she paces herself really well and can eat loads and jump straight back on the bike. Just need to give her the confidence.

« Reply #13 on: 31 December, 2014, 01:21:08 am »
The HoE is very popular so one of the bonuses is plently of good company (although Flaaaaaatus usually rides too) and it's got great controls.

Having said that a wuss velocity 300 perm might be a nice group outing, including for those of us with too many toddlers to find time to train!

« Reply #14 on: 31 December, 2014, 08:08:45 pm »
I have cycled both and both are great.
Given the choice, I'd go for the rough diamond. I cycled the hoe just the once and never cycled it again. The rd I have ridden a few times and would like to cycle it again.
 ;D
I dunno why anybody's doing this!

« Reply #15 on: 31 December, 2014, 08:19:14 pm »
The HoE in crap weather is really crap. But in decent weather its a nice flowing ride

« Reply #16 on: 01 January, 2015, 06:17:38 pm »
Thanks for all the advice people.

I have pretty much decided on the rough Diamond perm with at least one other AUK having offered to ride with me.

Another factor is that H of E is on same day as Carm Snapper which is my favourite 200 .I think I will try and do 3 or 4 200s between now and april then look to book a Rough Diamond Perm sometime in May. :thumbsup:

« Reply #17 on: 01 January, 2015, 08:33:07 pm »
Rough Diamond was my first (and only) 300km ride. It was lovely. We had a fairly persistent SW wind, which made leg two fairly tough in places, but the final stretch up the Severn Vale was great.

All in, I finished the ride in under 14 hours.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #18 on: 02 January, 2015, 10:42:56 am »
I managed to heave my flabby carcass round it in under 12 14½+ hours on one two occasions

Fixed that. Same again this year?!
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #19 on: 02 January, 2015, 10:47:13 am »
No I did actually manage to heave my flabby bulk round in under 12 hours on one occasion, 2010 or 2011, I can't remember which.

Think I've ridden it 4 times in all.