Author Topic: GPX storage on etrex 30  (Read 1526 times)

Martin

GPX storage on etrex 30
« on: 18 June, 2014, 11:44:43 am »
I'm planning a sortie in Forrin parts next week involving a DIY on 7/8 days, last time I tried this on the Vista it ran out of space and ended up deleting the first rides  :(

how can I avoid this next week? is the archive larger? alternatively can I write the track log to the SD card rather than the internal memory?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: GPX storage on etrex 30
« Reply #1 on: 18 June, 2014, 12:42:03 pm »
Shouldn't have happened with a Vista HCx, if you used logging to the SD card correctly (for any Vista HCx users:  log track to the card, enable "wrap when full" so it keeps logging when the internal memory gets full, ignore the contents of the internal memory getting overwritten - it'll all be safe on the card as a GPX file for every 24 hour period).

The 30 isn't quite as bulletproof.  Setting it to archive daily seems to be the closest functional equivalent.  I don't like it.  You have to pay attention to not accidentally delete things when you reset the trip counter.  Unlike the Vista's working memory the internal storage on the 30 is huge, and acts as a USB storage device with a FAT32 filesystem on it, so logging to the card doesn't really gain you anything (unless you've crammed it absolutely full of maps, I suppose).

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #2 on: 19 June, 2014, 09:47:13 am »
... and I don't think there is any way of doing it on the E30 (logging to the card that is).  Still, lots of memory but I guess it helps if you're not the sort of obsessive who logs one point per second ...  :demon:
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 19 June, 2014, 10:16:26 am »
Even if you are logging 1 point per second, it should still be plenty of memory.
Apparently it can store 2000 archive tracks, each with 10,000 points. Though the internal memory would probably fill up before you get that many. But should still be enough for a few thousand hours at 1 point per second.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4 on: 19 June, 2014, 01:00:01 pm »
Put your maps & routes on the card and you should have loads of internal memory spare.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 19 June, 2014, 01:02:46 pm »
Put your maps & routes on the card and you should have loads of internal memory spare.

My suggestion would be to put maps on the card, everything else internally.  That makes it fail reasonably gracefully if the card works loose (happened a couple of times when my unit was new, but not since I did a little tactical bending of the card slot cover).

Martin

« Reply #6 on: 20 June, 2014, 01:09:01 pm »
Thanks;

I presume it creates a new active log every time I switch it off and back on each day so I can seperate the rides out when I get home?