Author Topic: Just bought a Brompton, what do I need to know?  (Read 8853 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Just bought a Brompton, what do I need to know?
« Reply #25 on: 11 January, 2017, 10:46:25 am »
The hub gear cable tension is adjusted in gear 2 only. The Brompton gear lever pulls more cable than is required to reach gears 1 and 3. Sometimes that means a bit of rattle in gear 3. Check that the cable adjustment is correct for gear 2 and then don't worry about it.

https://brompton.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203295411-How-do-I-adjust-the-3-speed-gear-hub-

Thanks!

« Reply #26 on: 12 January, 2017, 07:40:18 pm »
...I did the Sustrans lead ride to Somewhere Other Than Naburn from the York Rally last year on mine......and then followed the cattle-grid-infested riverside cycle path to the north of the city (which I'd previously ridden in January, on 700c Marathon Winters, and thought not too bad), before taking to some pleasant lanes...
Why does a cycle path need so many cattle grids, could they not use better fences, beside path?
Are there cycle specific cattle grids? :)

The other Brompton approach to the cattle grids was to drop to the back of the group and hobby horse with the wheels on the solid edge of said grids, then catch up etc.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27 on: 12 January, 2017, 07:51:58 pm »
...I did the Sustrans lead ride to Somewhere Other Than Naburn from the York Rally last year on mine......and then followed the cattle-grid-infested riverside cycle path to the north of the city (which I'd previously ridden in January, on 700c Marathon Winters, and thought not too bad), before taking to some pleasant lanes...
Why does a cycle path need so many cattle grids, could they not use better fences, beside path?
Are there cycle specific cattle grids? :)

Sustrans logic, presumably.  Most of them have bypass gates, but many are of the kissing type where only a Brompton or similar would fit.  Barakta with her 20" wheeled trike had to ride over all of them.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #28 on: 12 January, 2017, 09:24:07 pm »
Sustrans logic, presumably.  Most of them have bypass gates, but many are of the kissing type where only a Brompton or similar would fit.  Barakta with her 20" wheeled trike had to ride over all of them.

On the new river side path from Canterbury they first put a load of cattle grids that had the cross section like that of a toblerone. They got replaced shortly after due to the number of complaints. They also installed kissing gates next to them, which fortunately open with a RADAR key. They have since also reduced the number of cattle grids making the journey slightly less ground shaking.

Unfortunately it's sustrans so dual use canoe/cycle facilities and part of the year it's all under water... or a skating rink... or both...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #29 on: 13 January, 2017, 03:15:28 pm »
Here are a few other things to consider.....get some dual spds, flat on one side and clips on the other if you like being able to pull up as well as push down. then you can use street shoes or bike shoes as you wish. I have a flat bar with short bar ends and ergo grips and ergon GP2 will allow you to fold without any issues. Consider waxing your chain and/or using a dry lube chain lube to avoid soiling your hands or clothes when in contact  with the chain. Keep your brake pads as free from grit and muck as much as possible to avoid prematurely grinding down the rims. I lube my SA 3 speed with 5/20 synthetic motor oil by initially putting a few ccs in the right side axle hole after removing the gear actuator, and then adding a few drops when it starts to become noisy again. In the old days these hubs  had an oil port. Oil does seep out a bit over time. Practice changing the tires in your home so when on the street it isn't so intimidating. Put the tires back on with the side away from the the valve stem first and the bit with the stem last. This makes a bit more slack to ease a difficult task. I use a steel tire lever because it is slimmer than plastic and therefore easier to get in there. Oh and remember to get  the bugs off your teeth which accumulate as you ride around grinning from the fun of riding one.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #30 on: 18 January, 2017, 09:37:28 pm »
Don't let it out of your sight in public.

They are "interesting" to ride, although you acclimatise after a few miles.  The M-type is the weirdest because the bars are quite high, you sit a long way back and there is very little weight on the front wheel.  Be wary of cornering hard on surfaces like wet tactile paving, as the front wheel can suddenly decide to let go.  Generally, the taller you are, the better the riding position is.  If you are over about 5'8" you really need the extended seatpost; the standard one gives the smallest folded size but is too small for most men, unless they want to risk knee damage.

They are much improved with SPDs.  The ideal tyres, for town use, are Marathon Plus because changing a rear puncture out on the road, in the rain and dark, is not something you want to contemplate.  If you don't like the plastic shifter (which works fine, it's just a bit nasty) you can replace it with any Sturmey-Archer 3-speed trigger made since about 1936.  Unless it's marked "ASC", and if it is, you're rich.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #31 on: 20 January, 2017, 09:13:51 pm »

Also,  given that the ncn path from Riccal - Naburn-Bishopshorpe  was once the east coast main line (and hence presumably double track) why have sustrans made it so narrow....