Author Topic: Brompton alternatives  (Read 10317 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Brompton alternatives
« Reply #25 on: 22 September, 2016, 07:03:03 am »
Different Folders have different uses.

Which one is best depends entirely on why you want your bike to fold.

1) To store it in your Flat for security? Then a "full size" folder may be best.  Dahon do several MTB-style folders

2) To take on Public transport? Hard to think past a Brompton.

3) To carry in your car for rides down a tow-path? Dahon make several 20" wheel bikes that would suit.

I've owned a Dahon DH7 (hub gear) and I now own a Brompton M3.

I want a bike I can quickly fold and take into a Cafe after exploring a town or city.  For me nothing comes close to a Brompton.
They ride very well, much better than people who never rode one will say. The Dahon was marginally better I'd say.

The Dahon was more of a faff to fold and the final, folded, package was slightly too big to be slot under a cafe table.

The Brompton fold encloses the chain.  That's a HUGE positive if you plan to be carrying the bike and lifting it into cars/trains/buses.

The Dahon left the chain and drivetrain exposed totally.  You need to remember to avoid getting oil on your car carpet or anyone stood on the other side of the bike.

You won't lose any money if you buy a used Brompton.  Pay £600, try it for a few months and sell it for £600 if you don't get on with it. They really don't depreciate much lower than £600.

Oh.. the luggage options, that utilise the Brompton front mounting block, are superb. Unclipping your bag and folding the Brommie is a genuine 15 second job.

This is me doing a fairly average fold/unfold. >>> CLICKY <<<

My need is the occasional visit to my London office, 3 or four clinics a year at Addenbrookes, and maybe roped in for the weekly shopping run into town.  Storage not an issue, more the convenience of getting onto the train.

Regardless of the neatness of fold, and without having a Brommie next to a Dahon, Tern, Mezzo etc I can't compare that, but the whole point of this thread is that I can't bring myself to pay £600 for that convenience when I'm not a daily commuter, regardless of retained value.  Especially when several here have pointed out the marketing over substance that I suspected.

I can take slightly lesser ease of folding for the irregular usage. Plus having just sold one bike, my plan was not to plough all of that back into another upwrong - the ultimate plan is another 'bent.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #26 on: 22 September, 2016, 08:07:00 am »
That really answers it then. For you, there's no killer reason to pay to get a Brompton. A second-hand Dahon or similar (Tern, or one of the many brands actually made by Dahon - compare things such as the locking handles where it folds to be sure) should fit the bill.

Or a cheaper brand of folder (of which there are many) if you're happy with that.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #27 on: 22 September, 2016, 09:26:03 am »
In which case I's suggest the Dahon D7HG (7 speed hub-gear).  The hub gear allows for a chain-case. (Well it did on mine) which reduces the chances of oiling up everyone on the train.

I sold mine to Clarion for about £170 I think.  That's a lot of convenience for not that much money.

£200 should get you something for what you need from Ebay.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

ian

« Reply #28 on: 22 September, 2016, 09:31:40 am »
As I said on the other thread, I am amazed at these stories of 20-mile rides on Bromptons and other folders. The ride position seems to make riding up hills or into a headwind so much harder than on a full-size bike. Maybe I just need to try it out?

All these tales of different bikes to buy are somewhat academic at the moment as as the shops seem to be going for Bromptons only - Evans don't seem to stock anything else much at all! Is there some sort of supply problem? I can't find a local (or even not that local) shops that has any Dahons at all, for example. Terns, the same (I was curious to try one of their 24-inch wheel models - no availability anywhere in Cambridgeshire). Even web shops seem to be struggling.

I have bought bikes sight unseen before, but it's not ideal.

I did two 30-odd mile rides from Heathrow to home last week with a fully loaded bag on the front (change of clothes, waterproof jacket, notepad, Macbook etc.), no problemo. With flat bars the ride position isn't that much different to my hybrid. The world may be different if you use drop bars, of course. And I finish on steep hills as I live by the North Downs (the final one to the bottom of my driveway is a thankfully brief 23%).

Apropos of other comments, Bromptons aren't a bad bike, but you are paying for the fold and it is the best. I wouldn't fancy getting my larger folder on a rush hour Southern train. As LEE mentions, folding the chain on in the inside is a big plus if you don't keep your bicycle especially clean, I'm not sure who thought putting the dirty bits on the outside of a folded bicycle is a good idea. My other folder has a chain guard, but a lot of folders don't.

If no one is looking I can fold my Brompton like an origami ninja. The moment a pair of eyes fall on me, it all goes wrong and sections of the bike go everywhere.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #29 on: 22 September, 2016, 01:47:51 pm »
With flat bars the ride position isn't that much different to my hybrid.

Exactly.  Don't judge the Brompton by the M/P type.  The S-type is a different animal, with different steering geometry and markedly different handling, it's not just the shape of the bars.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #30 on: 22 September, 2016, 02:38:39 pm »
Not quite correct. All Bromptons use the same frame, the steering geometry doesn't alter for different models.

The S-stem is taller and extends further forward than the M-stem does. The lesser forward extension of the M-stem is largely compensated by the M-bar being higher and orientated vertically, so as the grips get higher, they move further forward of the steering axis. I am tall enough that my M-bar is approximately level with the saddle, much the same relative positioning as the S-bar is for a shorter person.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #31 on: 22 September, 2016, 05:23:33 pm »
Ah okay.  The net result of the M-type handling like a Raleigh Chopper and the S-type handling like a proper (small wheeled) bike is the important thing.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #32 on: 22 September, 2016, 05:43:58 pm »
For me, the M-type steers fine, probably because I am fairly tall and accordingly lean forward enough to put sufficient weight on the handlebars and front wheel.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #33 on: 23 September, 2016, 10:28:31 am »
Chain guards are a brilliant idea on Dahons. So much cleaner (*Googles*)
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #34 on: 23 September, 2016, 01:01:23 pm »
I find the Brompton S steers like a toy scooter, but some describe it as 'responsive'.

Of the folders I have tried, I found rideability improved but folded size increased as I went down this list:

Brompton
Mezzo
Dahon 20" wheeler

A test ride will help you find what you can tolerate.

Phil W

« Reply #35 on: 23 September, 2016, 04:09:19 pm »
For me, the M-type steers fine, probably because I am fairly tall and accordingly lean forward enough to put sufficient weight on the handlebars and front wheel.

Same here, must be a height thing. It's certainly not Chopper like in geometry with the M bars.  If I was shorter I might have different bars but the m bars suit just fine.

« Reply #36 on: 25 September, 2016, 07:46:45 am »
In my experience of riding a Tern link D8,  the Tern is a nicer ride generally but it's fold is lousy, it just becomes an unwieldy, bulky mass of bike bits that flail around without much warning,   it won't win you any friends or praise if you're using it to commute on a train.

On the other hand,  the Brompton is generally a little bit less of a comfortable ride,  the three speed hub gear doesn't allow you to keep spinning at your cadence of choice,  but  it's fold is unrivalled,  it's lighter than a Tern and it fits in the boot of a small car. 

« Reply #37 on: 30 September, 2016, 02:20:24 pm »
I have an Airnimal Chameleon and (we have) an Airnimal Joey. 

The former I used* to use for triathlon as it was a lightweight bike ideally suited to tight courses and dodging inexperienced riders.  It fits in the boot of the car and still leaves room for passengers.  It's also been over an alp or two and I've taken it on sportives - just to annoy the wannabe racers!  The Joey is great because my wife and I can both fit on it** - with the addition of an adjustable stem.  I have used both on train journeys at one time or another, but I wouldn't use either for commuting, although the Joey is much quicker to fold. 

*  and I might again if I get back into them.
** not at the same time!
Peter

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #38 on: 30 September, 2016, 04:02:29 pm »
Having recently "graduated" from a Dahon 20" wheel folder to a Brompton 6-speed - and as an infrequent/low-mileage user - my impressions are pretty simple :

Dahon is the better ride but tricky to fold . . .Brompton fold is unsurpassed but riding anything more than 2 or 3 miles isn't brilliant for me (at 6'4" and 94kg)

... and the thing I keep doing is standing over the Brompton, letting go of the bars and expecting the top-tube to lean on my thigh! . . . have to catch it before it falls completely sideways  :hand:

Rob

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #39 on: 30 September, 2016, 04:05:10 pm »
... and the thing I keep doing is standing over the Brompton, letting go of the bars and expecting the top-tube to lean on my thigh! . . . have to catch it before it falls completely sideways  :hand:

Trick is to wedge the saddle nose in the small of your back and a pedal against your shin, which isn't comfortable, but suffices for short two-handed jobs.  My bar-ends are nicely scuffed from the associated learning process.

I still forget to step through to mount the bike  :facepalm:

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #40 on: 30 September, 2016, 08:16:32 pm »

Trick is to wedge the saddle nose in the small of your back and a pedal against your shin, which isn't comfortable, but suffices for short two-handed jobs.  My bar-ends are nicely scuffed from the associated learning process.

... I'm most concerned about scuffing the Honey Brooks B17 if the machine falls over  - and yes, I cock my leg over to get on, just seems more natural.

Rob

« Reply #41 on: 30 September, 2016, 08:32:53 pm »

... I'm most concerned about scuffing the Honey Brooks B17 if the machine falls over  - and yes, I cock my leg over to get on, just seems more natural.

Rob
You're not the only one, Rob.