Author Topic: Bryan Chapman 2012  (Read 97181 times)

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
Bryan Chapman 2012
« on: 13 January, 2012, 08:32:09 pm »
I have not done this ride for the last two years. Two years ago I woke up with a sore throat and last year I chose to do the Cornish ride. This year I plan to do the BCM again.

This mail is a blatant cheap skate call. The TL rooms are going for £51 does anyone want to share and help me on my quest to save money.

Please pm me if you have a room to share the night before the BCM :thumbsup:
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Re: Bryan Chapman 2012
« Reply #1 on: 13 January, 2012, 08:38:21 pm »
No, not me, but try having a look at the Travelodge thread and see if anyone with a £9 room wants to share to save a bit more money. 3 people in one £9 room is excellent value.

AndyH

Re: Brian Chapman 2012
« Reply #2 on: 13 January, 2012, 10:26:58 pm »
3 people in one £9 room is excellent value.
I don't think we have a smiley for sniggering loudly  ;D :D ??? :D  ;D

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #3 on: 14 January, 2012, 12:10:56 am »
You could try asking William Hague if he wants to do the Bryan Chapman  :demon:

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
Re: Brian Chapman 2012
« Reply #4 on: 14 January, 2012, 04:14:12 pm »
If anyone is genuinely a bit hard up and doesn't mind riding 25km to the start - you're welcome to occupy floor space at mine, or even garden space for a tent if you prefer!  I'm too skint to travel to audaxes as wife is student and I'm just doing shitty temp work so know how it can be.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #5 on: 02 February, 2012, 02:37:00 pm »
Sadly, I won't be riding this event this year, despite it being one of my real goals for the season - a friend has decided this is the ideal day to get married, so I better go join in the fun there.

This does mean I have a Travelodge room available at Severn View for the 18th May and 20th May if anyone would like them - you just need to pretend to be me (I'll Email all the details over to you).  They're for Family Rooms - so they'll sleep two non-consenting adults. 

The Friday night one was £50.95 and the Sunday one £41.95 (I didn't get in early enough to get them for a tenner - but not too bad still).

Drop me a line if you're interested and we'll sort something out.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #6 on: 02 February, 2012, 08:02:31 pm »
Not riding this year. Might see you in theElan Valley cycling with friends based @ Clun.
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #7 on: 02 February, 2012, 09:21:29 pm »
I am planning to ride it this year! Have not made plans yet whether to drive to the start on the day (35 miles), ride it, or stay somewhere the night before having ridden there. It somewhat depends which bike(s) myself and simonp decide to ride it on  :thumbsup:

« Reply #8 on: 02 February, 2012, 10:14:21 pm »
My last one this year, all things pass.

I've enjoyed the last 9 years,
priorities in life have changed,
some outside of my control - and they need to come first at the moment.

EDIT: 3/2/212@12:33
Bianchi Boy, please Get the Subject title changed - his name was Bryan Chapman.   :thumbsup:
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #9 on: 02 February, 2012, 10:19:20 pm »

All the more reason for a good turnout and for the rain gods to stay away!

(OK, we can hope for the good tunrnout; the other? No chance.)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #10 on: 02 February, 2012, 11:37:19 pm »

Bug*** :o. Had been planning to attempt this this year, having read so much here about the ride and Mark's great organisation of it, but other commitments have forced me to abandon that. :(

I had been consoling myself with the prospect of a BCM in 2013 in preparation for LEL...

Hope the ride is a memorable one for you all - in a positive way, of course. ;D
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

LEE

« Reply #11 on: 02 February, 2012, 11:49:32 pm »
I'd love to do it again, for that glorious 1st day up to Pen-Y-Pass (the best day's cycling of my life), but then I remember that subsequent night time climb past the power station and think about being snugly asleep in bed, at home,  and the urge passes.

Hope it goes well Blacksheep, thanks for the superb support on my 3 BCMs.

border-rider

« Reply #12 on: 02 February, 2012, 11:58:56 pm »
I love this ride; I've done it 10 times (so far). I have never failed to wish I was in bed on that stretch up past Trawsfynydd power station, and I don't think I've ever managed to get back to Dolgellau without having a roadside doze.

« Reply #13 on: 03 February, 2012, 01:21:57 am »

Many thanks for all your hard work Mark.
For all the rides we do, there's so much that goes on behinds the scenes that has to happen to make these events run smoothly.

I've really enjoyed the two I've ridden.
I may come back for one more. 2015. Maybe.
Garry Broad

« Reply #14 on: 03 February, 2012, 01:24:41 am »
I love this ride; I've done it 10 times (so far). I have never failed to wish I was in bed on that stretch up past Trawsfynydd power station, and I don't think I've ever managed to get back to Dolgellau without having a roadside doze.

I managed my first two without a doze, but couldn't resist the deluxe bus shelter last time two years ago.  I'm in this year, have the weekend off and my entry is in!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #15 on: 03 February, 2012, 08:27:50 am »
Really sorry to hear that this will be your last one, Mark. You (and your team of helpers) have done an excellent job with it. Thank you.

My travelodge was booked for it this year at Christmas, the entry sitting in the printer tray for the last few days. I'm just waiting for some C5 shaped TUITs before its in the post to you.

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #16 on: 03 February, 2012, 09:51:20 am »
I'm also sorry to hear this is to be your last one Mark. My Travelodge is booked, entry with you shortly for my third year in a row - simply the best 600 I've ridden (in an admittedly short Audax career).

keeks

• shooting from the hip ... because I am
« Reply #17 on: 03 February, 2012, 10:03:05 am »
All the best Mark and thanks for the rides. The BCM is my bench mark for organisation and a good test of machine , man and kit.

« Reply #18 on: 03 February, 2012, 10:06:00 am »
Bianchi Boy, please Get the Subject title changed - his name was Bryan Chapman.

Cheers Steve
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #19 on: 03 February, 2012, 10:14:20 am »
Thanks for the fun Mark, and may your successors live up to the high standards you have set.  If ever there was something that AUK needs, it is organisers who show this sort of long-term commitment and reliability. This is what can create rides whose legend starts to spread beyond the ultra-narrow confines of the audax world and ensure the regeneration and introduction of flesh blood that will keep the sport alive.  The growth of ride numbers during your tenure says it all. All the better for having been done by word of mouth with no show-boating publicity.

« Reply #20 on: 03 February, 2012, 11:22:34 am »
Thanks for the fun Mark, and may your successors live up to the high standards you have set.  If ever there was something that AUK needs, it is organisers who show this sort of long-term commitment and reliability. This is what can create rides whose legend starts to spread beyond the ultra-narrow confines of the audax world and ensure the regeneration and introduction of flesh blood that will keep the sport alive.  The growth of ride numbers during your tenure says it all. All the better for having been done by word of mouth with no show-boating publicity.

Amen to that.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #21 on: 03 February, 2012, 12:26:12 pm »
Sadly, I won't be riding this event this year, despite it being one of my real goals for the season - a friend has decided this is the ideal day to get married, so I better go join in the fun there.

This does mean I have a Travelodge room available at Severn View for the 18th May and 20th May if anyone would like them - you just need to pretend to be me (I'll Email all the details over to you).  They're for Family Rooms - so they'll sleep two non-consenting adults. 

The Friday night one was £50.95 and the Sunday one £41.95 (I didn't get in early enough to get them for a tenner - but not too bad still).

Drop me a line if you're interested and we'll sort something out.

Just to say that the rooms have now kindly been taken.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #22 on: 03 February, 2012, 12:51:55 pm »
Never ridden this but can't pass up the chance to do the last one organised by mark.
Just printed off my entry form, booked the Friday & Monday off work & checked the train prices £45 so not too bad.

Entry will be in the post tonight  :thumbsup:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #23 on: 03 February, 2012, 05:14:43 pm »
Just posted my entry, could not miss the last Black Sheep incarnation of this legendary event!

Will be my third year running, a massive thanks to Mark - his encouragement and excellent range of Black Sheep events have moulded me into the Audax lunatic I have proudly become  ;D

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #24 on: 03 February, 2012, 08:00:32 pm »
My first so no personal experience, but there is certainly something legendary about this ride and I'm looking forward to it.

By the way, who was Bryan Chapman?
Mojo is being awakened.