Author Topic: Bikehike - saving a route  (Read 1242 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Bikehike - saving a route
« on: 01 January, 2011, 07:39:09 pm »
Although I don't have a GPS, I thought I'd use bikehike to plan a ride, inspired partly by Wowbagger's posting of the route used for the Christmas Warty here.

So I clicked away and produced a route. But I can't see how to save it. I see from the history page that the person running the site has closed the route database. Is this why? If so, how did Wow manage to save his route?

I've downloaded the route as a .gpx so I have a record, but it's not quite what I want.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
Re: Bikehike - saving a route
« Reply #1 on: 01 January, 2011, 07:43:48 pm »
Bikehike no longer has a route database.

If you've got some web space somewhere, you can put the .gpx file there then give other people a bikehike link that points to the GPX, e.g.:

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?lnk=http://www.derkholm.net/thomas/Anfractuous.gpx
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

« Reply #2 on: 01 January, 2011, 07:48:07 pm »
Or save it as a .gps / .tcx (or similar) to your desktop, and then subsequently use Bikehike to re-open it.
Works for me. No?

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #3 on: 01 January, 2011, 08:53:15 pm »
Or as an alternative to the above, use bike route toaster.

(Although bikehike is better, in letting you see graphically the amount of climbing and gradient.)
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 01 January, 2011, 10:51:19 pm »
I have some webspace dedicated for routes and if you look at the address bar you can see where.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.