Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1613914 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #17425 on: 23 April, 2024, 08:31:14 pm »
I have one with the ads. It's really not that much of a pain. Just need to swipe to log in.
It does, however, keep recommending books I already have in dead tree format.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #17426 on: 23 April, 2024, 08:35:15 pm »
I've just had the back off, removed & replaced a sim card & it appears to be alive again.   :thumbsup:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #17427 on: 23 April, 2024, 08:51:39 pm »
I've just had the back off, removed & replaced a sim card & it appears to be alive again.   :thumbsup:
it’s sounding a lot like a Trigger’s Broom of a kindle though  ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #17428 on: 23 April, 2024, 09:09:19 pm »
The screen had to be replaced after I cracked the original by kneeling on it in a tent years ago.   :facepalm:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #17429 on: Yesterday at 07:35:31 pm »
Went to get the Haibike out of the shed this morning only to find the rear wheel flat. It's a bleedin' Slime tube an'all. Luckily, I've got a set of spare wheels, so I've swapped them over without too much swearing. In so doing, I noticed that I've put the front tyre on in the wrong direction. That's not a task for this evening.
I've never fixed a puncture on a Slime tube. I foresee trouble finding the leak unless it's mahoosive.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #17430 on: Yesterday at 09:12:59 pm »
Went to get the Haibike out of the shed this morning only to find the rear wheel flat. It's a bleedin' Slime tube an'all. Luckily, I've got a set of spare wheels, so I've swapped them over without too much swearing. In so doing, I noticed that I've put the front tyre on in the wrong direction. That's not a task for this evening.
I've never fixed a puncture on a Slime tube. I foresee trouble finding the leak unless it's mahoosive.

Forget it - new tube.  I know, I've been there.

« Reply #17431 on: Yesterday at 09:16:53 pm »
I rather think you're right...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17432 on: Yesterday at 09:17:44 pm »
I did manage a successful patch on a slime tube once.  Took a few attempts, by which point I'd got schmoo in the valve and it was only fit for the bin.

« Reply #17433 on: Today at 09:19:18 am »
Dear Scotrail, I appreciate that having a Large Hole under the track is beyond your control, and I appreciate the temporary timetable is better than no trains. However, if you are running 2 trains an hour where you normally run 4, why on earth are you running 3 carriage trains instead of the usual 6 carriage trains??

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #17434 on: Today at 09:33:03 am »
Dear Scotrail, I appreciate that having a Large Hole under the track is beyond your control, and I appreciate the temporary timetable is better than no trains. However, if you are running 2 trains an hour where you normally run 4, why on earth are you running 3 carriage trains instead of the usual 6 carriage trains??

I presume that the hole has necessitated some sort of weight limit?
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #17435 on: Today at 09:37:59 am »

I presume that the hole has necessitated some sort of weight limit?
No, it has necessitated the closure of (part of) the line...
https://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/airdrie-bathgate-line-to-remain-closed-at-caldercruix-as-engineers-repair-sinkhole-damage
They are running services at the two ends (Glasgow and Edinburgh) of the line, with the closure in the middle. Some of the trains have been 6 carriages, to be fair, but there have also been 3 carriage ones, for no apparent reason. At rush hour.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #17436 on: Today at 09:49:43 am »
Probably that, because of the hole, they couldn't get the 6-carriage trains from the end of the line where they are to the end where you are.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #17437 on: Today at 11:13:28 am »
There are about 7 different routes between the ends of the lines (Edinburgh and Glasgow). And that's just the ones in central Scotland.

I'd expect it's something more arcane about how many trains of what type they can keep overnight in which depot.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #17438 on: Today at 11:20:36 am »
Which is pretty much the same thing. It's like "why do they run such a long train last thing on Sunday night?"
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #17439 on: Today at 01:23:29 pm »
Where as in my area we have a mix of 8 or 10 car trains on the line into London. However, because of a reassessment of the line from Staines to Windsor the older 8 car trains (without loos) don't fit in the platform somewhere on the branch. Therefore the more modern rolling stock with loos has had to be taken off my line to serve Windsor despite travelling at least an additional half hour and serving 8 more stations.

I tend to try the "If you see something that doesn't look right report it to a member of staff or contact British transport police.  see it, say it, sort it" of being a smart alec with the staff. "something isn't right, ... that rolling stock has no place on this route". It generally gets a weak smile and a "hopefully the new trains will be ready soon".