Author Topic: Oh bollards!  (Read 2951 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Oh bollards!
« on: 17 March, 2023, 10:04:56 pm »
https://road.cc/content/news/new-cycle-route-barriers-too-narrow-bike-trailers-300009  (HT: cycleman who was having difficulty getting the link)

Milton Keynes-based delivery cyclist Steve Abraham has criticised the local council’s decision to install a growing number of barriers and bollards on the city’s cycleways and shared use routes, which the ultra-cycling legend says prevents the paths being used by delivery riders with large bike trailers – that were themselves supplied by the council.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Oh bollards!
« Reply #1 on: 18 March, 2023, 06:44:23 am »
I'm amazed TG hasn't worn his legs out yet!

The problems on bike paths include 40mph illegal e-bikes and mini-motorbikes, neither of which will be stopped by these.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2 on: 20 March, 2023, 04:15:52 pm »
Yes, but the council isn't looking to do something about it, they are looking to be *seen* to be doing something about it.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 20 March, 2023, 04:35:52 pm »
Those bollards are badly placed if the intention is to stop vehicles of less than the distance between one bollard and another – they'll just go round the side instead. Which is how cargo bikes, mini motos, prams and wheelchairs will continue getting through, for the time being at least.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4 on: 20 March, 2023, 10:43:28 pm »
I'm amazed TG hasn't worn his legs out yet!

The problems on bike paths include 40mph illegal e-bikes and mini-motorbikes, neither of which will be stopped by these.

I can't believe my luck to be honest. I ride bikes and people pay me to do it!

We have it all in Milton Keynes. Rented bikes, rented ebikes, rented scooters, all kinds of illegal electric machines and delivery robots. It's still the cars that I avoid, none of the rest is a consideration for me.

« Reply #5 on: 20 March, 2023, 10:54:13 pm »
Yes, but the council isn't looking to do something about it, they are looking to be *seen* to be doing something about it.

I'm not holding out much hope.
I have asked about a few things and got unsatisfactory answers. They get some things right and do some good but get so much wrong as well.
One of my favourites is a new Aldi store that is next to a redway. It might be illegal for me to tow the trailer on the very short path linking the redway to Aldi, I don't honestly know for sure (it could be privately owned by Aldi, if so I guess not) but it's about a meter wide and a very tight bend to get onto it. And it's right next to a lovingly restored murial from Wolverton that was removed and going to be trashed but was too popular so was restored. It's a murial of bicycles, restored to show how much we like bicycles with quite a lot of money spent on restoring it. But bollocks to building a cyclepath for about 5 meters so people can get from the cyclepath to the shop without a big detour, unless you just use the footpath, or is it just another crap cyclepath? Who knows? I don't think the council do because I have asked them similar questions...