Author Topic: TdF 2011 general discussion thread - likely to contain spoilers  (Read 80335 times)

Re: TdF 2011 general discussion thread - likely to contain spoilers
« Reply #75 on: 08 July, 2011, 05:04:08 pm »
10km to go and they're 1'40" behind, they should easily catch up with the peloton.

Fwiw, Sean Kelly disagrees with you.

Indeed, my mental arithmetic was bollocks.

If the peloton averages 50kph for the final 10km that's 12 minutes.

To catch up 100 seconds the chasing pack would need to do the 10km in 8m20 which is 72kph average.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Tim

« Reply #76 on: 08 July, 2011, 05:12:57 pm »
Never stood a chance of catching up the HTC lead-out train. It was just about limiting losses. Shame G found himself on the wrong side.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #77 on: 08 July, 2011, 05:28:17 pm »
I see that Woolly is still in Yellow ;D

« Reply #78 on: 08 July, 2011, 07:51:23 pm »
Wiggins is out!!

Just read this.  Oh bugger.  I think he was in with a real chance given Clentador's apparent poor form.

Tim

« Reply #79 on: 08 July, 2011, 08:00:59 pm »
Just seen the ITV4 interview with Wiggins (end of the highlight program). It would appear the drugs do work.

« Reply #80 on: 08 July, 2011, 08:22:49 pm »
Listening to GT's & EBH's interviews, it seemed they were both in front of the crash.  Is it natural reaction to wait and see who is down and possibly hurt, or was there a team instruction to wait?  If the latter and considering the time both riders lost on GC, particularly the white jersey, was it a poor tactical decision for both these riders to wait?

Cav seemed genuinely 'gutted' when he heard about Wiggins' accident and retiral.  Chapeau Cav.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #81 on: 08 July, 2011, 08:26:49 pm »
Listening to GT's & EBH's interviews, it seemed they were both in front of the crash.  Is it natural reaction to wait and see who is down and possibly hurt, or was there a team instruction to wait?  If the latter and considering the time both riders lost on GC, particularly the white jersey, was it a poor tactical decision for both these riders to wait.

I was thinking that too. You don't need a whole team to pace someone back to the bunch.

Then again, neither EBH or GT would trouble the GC come the high mountains so maybe now they've lost some time they'll be allowed up the road on a break?

a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #82 on: 08 July, 2011, 09:07:21 pm »
I hope SKY don't go to pieces now.  I presume there is a 'Plan B' and the team will regroup and still ride as a cohesive unit.  GT as new team leader?

« Reply #83 on: 08 July, 2011, 10:02:04 pm »
Indeed, my mental arithmetic was bollocks.

That's not something I read very often!

Poor Bradley. That last interview was good value though.
Quite a display by HTC too.

« Reply #84 on: 08 July, 2011, 10:06:09 pm »
Listening to GT's & EBH's interviews, it seemed they were both in front of the crash.  Is it natural reaction to wait and see who is down and possibly hurt, or was there a team instruction to wait?  If the latter and considering the time both riders lost on GC, particularly the white jersey, was it a poor tactical decision for both these riders to wait.

I was thinking that too. You don't need a whole team to pace someone back to the bunch.

Then again, neither EBH or GT would trouble the GC come the high mountains so maybe now they've lost some time they'll be allowed up the road on a break?

GTs job is to ride near Wiggins and pace him. He mentioned this on his blog the other day. So if Wiggins disappears GT is going to wait.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #85 on: 08 July, 2011, 10:09:13 pm »
Cav seemed genuinely 'gutted' when he heard about Wiggins' accident and retiral.  Chapeau Cav.
+1 to that.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #86 on: 08 July, 2011, 10:14:56 pm »
He seems to really rate Brad. Twitter from Cav tonight:

Really hope @bradwiggins is ok. Devastated for him. I guarantee he would've silenced some people this year. Top bloke.

« Reply #87 on: 08 July, 2011, 11:03:45 pm »
Anyone seen an explanation of what actually happened ? It looked like it was on a straight bit of dry road. Why the huge pile up ?

« Reply #88 on: 08 July, 2011, 11:14:50 pm »
Anyone seen an explanation of what actually happened ? It looked like it was on a straight bit of dry road. Why the huge pile up ?

Probably similar to a lot of the crashes on straight roads yesterday, someone touches wheels or clips a handlebar.

From what I recall of the live coverage after todays mass chute, the wind direction had changed to tail/crosswind, and the pace was being ramped up, so cue general desperation to get as far up the peloton as possible.

HTC were definitely on the ball today, having the full squad available in what was left of the peloton for a perfect run into town and lead-out.

Edit: The joys of live transmission, no time to bleep out Cav's succinct initial response to the news about Wiggo, which was duly expurgated in the highlights.  ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #89 on: 09 July, 2011, 07:37:35 am »
"Poor old Bradley" is what BBC news this morning are saying about his collar bone.

I watched the ITV highlights last night and when it was shown even Mrs G said 'Oh no' - that nearly surprised me as much as seeing him retire  ;D  Such a shame as this year he seemed to be a different person and was holding it all together well.  His inner chimp was well in control.

I was surprised to see the whole team waiting but that just confirms how much Sky have done to create 'the team' ethos.  Hopefully now they can regroup behind G and give it a go.  Maybe EBH or Simon Gerrans can also get some support for a stage win or two?

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #90 on: 09 July, 2011, 09:13:30 am »
This article seems to raise a relevant point.  Apparently Horner finished yesterday so concussed that he didn't have any recollection of his crash or why he was behind the peloton.  And Boonen had been continuing, under the encouragement of his DS, despite suffering from headaches and vomiting for 2 days since his crash, and even after other riders have complained that he was proving a danger to those around him.   How come the Tour doctor hasn't stepped in ?
Pro Cycling Plagued By Head Injuries | Cyclingnews.com
Aero but not dynamic

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #91 on: 09 July, 2011, 09:28:17 am »
I saw a clip of Chris Horner crossing the line to be greeted by his soigneur. Truly frightening!

« Reply #92 on: 09 July, 2011, 09:51:02 am »
This article seems to raise a relevant point.  Apparently Horner finished yesterday so concussed that he didn't have any recollection of his crash or why he was behind the peloton.  And Boonen had been continuing, under the encouragement of his DS, despite suffering from headaches and vomiting for 2 days since his crash, and even after other riders have complained that he was proving a danger to those around him.   How come the Tour doctor hasn't stepped in ?
Pro Cycling Plagued By Head Injuries | Cyclingnews.com

I read this article this morning. Very interesting, and quite frightening. The decision to keep riding with a head injury really shouldn't be left to the one suffering that injury. Riders are never going to want to abandon, and if they can climb on their bikes they will. I was amazed Chris Horner was allowed to continue riding after the crash yesterday.

Emma
California Dreaming

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #93 on: 09 July, 2011, 10:24:11 am »

Chris Horner is out too.
A quote from Radioshack :
"Horner only remembers riding the Tour's team time trial and as no recollection of the crash, he added.
The American also broke his nose and sustained a calf injury in the crash."

:-X :-X

How on earth did he finish yesterday  ???

« Reply #94 on: 09 July, 2011, 11:08:16 am »
Anybody else notice that David Millar is almost invisible despite being very high up in the GC all week? 

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #96 on: 09 July, 2011, 11:26:33 am »
I saw a clip of Chris Horner crossing the line to be greeted by his soigneur. Truly frightening!

This one  ??? http://bicycling.com/blogs/thisjustin/2011/07/08/video-horner-crashes-hard-in-tour-de-france-stage/
He doesn't know where he is and what he has been doing and just keep asking.  :-[ :-X

« Reply #97 on: 09 July, 2011, 11:50:34 am »
Standard concussion symptom. Gets very boring for anyone around the victim as they keep asking the same couple of questions over and over again.

Got it very mildly last year (helmet cracked in process as per design) and was totally unaware that I was repeating myself.

« Reply #98 on: 09 July, 2011, 11:55:49 am »
Sounds like dealing with drunk people.  Keep repeating the same crap.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #99 on: 09 July, 2011, 12:49:53 pm »
Helmets aren't designed to crack (that doesn't absorb much energy). The design behaviour is to plastically compress.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...