Author Topic: Tubeless for Dummies  (Read 195601 times)

Re: Tubeless for Dummies
« Reply #250 on: 06 November, 2015, 03:31:10 pm »

1: New tyres. Old version. But because they're discontinued, I got 'em for €30 each. I can cope with that price.

Where did you manage to find stock?

http://www.bikediscount.de/Schwalbe-One-Tubeless-Faltreifen-EVO

claim to have 25mm in stock for 32.90 euros

Oh, no if you press "buy" it says "ausverkauft".  So not there
Yes - I tried that one too!

« Reply #251 on: 07 November, 2015, 01:43:36 am »

1: New tyres. Old version. But because they're discontinued, I got 'em for €30 each. I can cope with that price.

Where did you manage to find stock?

http://www.bikediscount.de/Schwalbe-One-Tubeless-Faltreifen-EVO

claim to have 25mm in stock for 32.90 euros

Oh, no if you press "buy" it says "ausverkauft".  So not there
Yes - I tried that one too!

https://r2-bike.com/index.php

But they only had four in stock, and I felt it would be rude to leave one or two behind in the warehouse to get lonely.

« Reply #252 on: 07 November, 2015, 07:48:18 am »
I've got a pair of new 25s and a pair of new 28s. Neither are boxed, but if someone wants to try the older version then pm me and we'll probably come to a suitable arrangement.

Mike

« Reply #253 on: 07 November, 2015, 02:18:26 pm »
I couldn't find the new 28s in stock anywhere, nor the new 25s at a healthy enough discount to tempt me - well, I found them somewhere for just over €40, but they'd gone out of stock once I went back to buy, and then I found the old ones for €30 ...

« Reply #254 on: 07 November, 2015, 02:26:33 pm »
Anybody know a cheaper source of Hutchinson Sector 28 tyres?

I think I need something a bit beefier on the back for winter.

« Reply #255 on: 07 November, 2015, 05:50:52 pm »
Cheaper than what? Acycles have them for £39.14 each at the moment ( http://www.acycles.co.uk/recherche.html?motclef=hutchinson+sector+28 ) and shipping is free (from France; takes 5-7 days)

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #256 on: 07 November, 2015, 11:33:00 pm »
Cheaper than what? Acycles have them for £39.14 each at the moment ( http://www.acycles.co.uk/recherche.html?motclef=hutchinson+sector+28 ) and shipping is free (from France; takes 5-7 days)

Yep, at the risk of raising the kiss of death, I have bought sector 28s from Acycles and had great service and very fast delivery...
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #257 on: 08 November, 2015, 06:51:02 am »
Wiggle have them for £40.49.

Have had a good hunt about and cant find them for much less.

« Reply #258 on: 08 November, 2015, 06:21:55 pm »

« Reply #259 on: 08 November, 2015, 09:02:46 pm »
I'd be interested in a pair if you do?

« Reply #260 on: 09 November, 2015, 11:32:50 am »
I'd also be interested in one pair if a group buy happens.

Chris S

« Reply #261 on: 09 November, 2015, 07:45:44 pm »
I'd be interested in a pair if you do?

You know they're not 650s, right?

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #262 on: 09 November, 2015, 08:27:40 pm »
OK here is an update on my 'mileage' (kilometreage?) on my REAR Hutchinson Sector 28 tubeless.

I have at last found the post where I described how I inadvertently ruined the previous rear...

On the Rural South 300 (27th June 15) I had a silly moment. I forgot to reconnect the long strap that tightens around the Koala bag on the seat post. Some time later I was descending a really fast hill with really smooth tarmac, touching 60 kph, and feeling totally secure, when the rear wheel locked up completely.  Oh shit, I'm doing an extended Swedish Rally sideways slide at over 50 kph, and the bike's not even slowing and it's twitchy all over the place and it's still happening and oh god I'm beginning to get scared and I don't know whether to jump or fight the slide till it stops...funny how you get scared when there is time to visualise the pain...  Any way I finally stopped and saw what had happened... The strap had wound round and round the rear axle, and in so doing it stopped the wheel... The tyre had worn right through the tread and two layers of puncture resistant material, and the damage was roughly the size of my little finger, and it looked horrible, but the air was still safe inside it, so I tried riding it expecting it to blow at any time, but it lasted another maybe 180 Kms..  Go figure...

With the exact date I was able to go on Garmin Connect and run a report on my distance etc since then, and I have done:-

8,596.2 kms

over 425 hours 36 mins 21 secs

averaging 20.1 kms including stops

and climbing 62,618 metres

THE TYRE STILL HAS A NICELY ROUNDED PROFILE, AND I'M PRETTY CHUFFED.....

I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #263 on: 10 November, 2015, 05:19:26 pm »
I reckon I could do a group buy with 2 tyres posted to you for £65.  As opposed to £80 a pair from anywhere else.

« Reply #264 on: 12 November, 2015, 06:09:58 pm »

Samuel D

« Reply #265 on: 12 November, 2015, 07:26:49 pm »
Indeed. But lacking the latest Schwalbe tubeless tyres and Vittoria models (the ones being advertised as having graphene, one of which Vittoria claims to be the fastest tyre in the world).

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #266 on: 15 November, 2015, 02:09:45 pm »
An update for those interested on the previous buggeration of getting a tyre seated on a non-tubeless rim - in-keeping with an earlier post, it's actually a Velocity Dyad rim so there's a link way back on this thread with rim profile for a Dyad and comparison with (the 'tubeless ready') Velocity A23's which I have for all my 700c 'roadie' wheels bar this one.

I completely failed to install a Hutchinson Intensive on the Dyad previously using about 6 layers of stans tape to fill in the deep centre well and then using a stans CX rim strip. I think the problem that I had was the rim strip has a marked centre well all around except for around the valve where it's a very thick rubber across the full width of the strip - the tyre was quite tight and as a result it was both difficult to get the bead either side of the valve hole to ensure the air was actually going IN to the tyre, and to get the bead to sit either side of this thicker rubber without there being a big (relatively!) space under the bead 20-30mm either side of the valve where the tyre transitioned from the thick rubber at the valve to the centre well. Much swearing occurred with track pump and I gave up.

Then I went for a ride this morning, punctured twice, had three spare inner tubes (one failed) and didn't pack a repair kit - this is on the rear wheel of my fixed just to exacerbate things. I've been on tubeless (either Intensives or Schalbe ultremo zx) for the last two years and haven't had to stop to insert a tube or even top up pressure whilst out on a ride in that whole time, so needless to say the punctures annoyed the living piss out of me. Arrived home determined to get the tubeless tyre seated, with the help of one of these Airshot things that I bought to avoid sweariness should I have any problems in future - http://www.airshotltd.com/airshot/ - and this time I made sure that I soaped up the tyre bead too. Put the airshot on to 160psi/11bar, popped it on the valve and.... bosh! It did it! And after I'd put sealeant in, it did it again!  So glad I got this. I know it's aimed at MTB tubeless which are a bit more difficult to seat, but for peace of mind and sweaty track-pump-induced-lightheadedness avoidance, I'd heartily recommend it.  There is also a Bontrager trackpump with a similar thing built in http://www.bontrager.com/model/11881 but I've got three track pumps and wanted to avoid buying any more so decided the Airshot would save me £40.

Points of learning for a refresh:
Rims not intended to be run with tubeless tyres need the gap filling around spokes - lots of tape required. In fact, all my 'tubeless ready' A23 rims needed four layers of tape anyway, buy the one fat massive roll of stans tape if you're planning on setting up tubeless on more than one set of wheels rather than the just enough size.

Soapy liquid - I got a little bottle/applicator with spongy tipe in the Ultremo ZX tubeless pack, and thought it was all about slipping the bead over the rim easily to avoid having to use levers etc and risk damaging the tyre bead. In fact, with hindsight and input from this thread, I think it would have been better to apply it directly to the tape inside the rim seeing as it's to help the beads slide over the tape and seat easily.

Compressed air is entirely optional, and plenty of others have done without - including me using Velocity A23's on every other wheel - but it's much easier. Don't bother spending money on anything especially if you've got something like a Campag/fulcrum 2 way-fit wheelset where you don't even need tape, but if you are converter non-tubeless rims and can borrow one for first install (or just to have as back up), pinch one from work, it may reduce swearing or at least sweat volumes if you have trouble seating the tyre with a track pump.

*EDIT to add - I'm in Bristol, so if anyone local wants to borrow said Airshot contraption, just give me a shout.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #267 on: 16 November, 2015, 01:15:38 pm »
Interesting (perhaps) comparisons:

http://velonews.competitor.com/where-the-rubber-meets-the-road-what-makes-cycling-tires-fast

Wider tyres are faster! Hah, excellent :)
I love my comfy 28mm slicks!
Everyone's favourite windbreak

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #268 on: 16 November, 2015, 02:48:11 pm »
wider tyres roll better, but are heavier and less aero. so in real world not faster, but more comfy.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #269 on: 16 November, 2015, 03:45:23 pm »
wider tyres roll better, but are heavier and less aero. so in real world not faster, but more comfy.

That depends on what kind of real-world riding you're doing, surely?

The aerodynamic effects depend on speed, the effect of weight depends on the amount of climbing and acceleration.

I'd suggest that for audax riding, better-rolling tyres have real benefits - at least to the plodders.

I'd also suggest that narrower tyres are a marginal aerodynamic gain for a typical rider, who would be better off addressing clothing, riding position, luggage and wheels first.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #270 on: 16 November, 2015, 03:58:59 pm »

That depends on what kind of real-world riding you're doing, surely?

the average real world where road surfaces are generally good and occasionally not so good.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #271 on: 16 November, 2015, 07:00:26 pm »
Hah, aero effect for me is definitely marginal. Probably lost in the error.
I'm far more interested in still being able to continue after 20 minutes of rural roads.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #272 on: 20 November, 2015, 08:30:48 am »
I have, finally, got mine to stay at the same pressure I put in for more than a day or so.

How? I hear you ask. Well, it was easy, don't pump them up to max pressure!!!!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Ben T

« Reply #273 on: 26 November, 2015, 06:07:05 pm »
Has anyone tried specialized  roubaix tubeless?
fairly dear at £80 online but 180tpi compared to schwalbe one's 127 tpi....
and 295g compared to schwalbe ones claimed 255g.

« Reply #274 on: 26 November, 2015, 06:17:47 pm »
Has anyone tried specialized  roubaix tubeless?
fairly dear at £80 online but 180tpi compared to schwalbe one's 127 tpi....
and 295g compared to schwalbe ones claimed 255g.

Could be two layers of 90tpi or 3 of 60tpi....

I'd be waiting for the Pro Ones