Author Topic: Tubeless for Dummies  (Read 195576 times)

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
Re: Tubeless for Dummies
« Reply #325 on: 20 January, 2016, 09:32:10 am »
Punctured yesterday.
First flat since 12th May 2015.
Old tube out. New tube in, pump up and go home.
Fix punctured tube in front of telly last night.

No messy goo.

You know, I think early condom adverts sounded much the same  ;D ;D ;D
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #326 on: 20 January, 2016, 11:28:07 am »
Punctured yesterday.
First flat since 12th May 2015.
Old tube out. New tube in, pump up and go home.
Fix punctured tube in front of telly last night.

No messy goo.

You know, I think early condom adverts sounded much the same  ;D ;D ;D

What happened when I had a tubeless puncture

https://audaxing.wordpress.com/2016/01/17/tubeless-update/

To save you reading the article the summary is "not much".  And that's the way I like it near the end of a cold 200km

Last puncture was istr during the Exmouth Exodus, end of July last year on 28mm clincher tyres

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #327 on: 25 January, 2016, 05:45:17 pm »
Has anyone tried out the Schwalbe S-One Evo Microskin TL-Easy Folding tyres? 

I am attracted to them given they are 700x30C, I love my Durano Plus Folding and I have been visitation free for a good 4000 combined miles over 2 bikes, but I miss the comfort of a fatter tyre having come from 700x35 cyclospeeds.

I've got a HSON+ on the front and Alex Rims XD-Elite on the back but my assumption is it's just a case of giving it a good wrap of tape to get a seal......?
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #328 on: 25 January, 2016, 05:53:55 pm »

I am attracted to them given they are 700x30C, I love my Durano Plus Folding and I have been visitation free for a good 4000 combined miles over 2 bikes, but I miss the comfort of a fatter tyre having come from 700x35 cyclospeeds.

I've got a HSON+ on the front and Alex Rims XD-Elite on the back but my assumption is it's just a case of giving it a good wrap of tape to get a seal......?

I'm using the old One's in 28c flavour on a pair of Kinlin 31T rims (19mm internal)  and they measure between 30 and 31 wide. They're nice and comfy.

Dont know about the Alex rim, but people report positively about the archetype. However, I'm not sure the internal well profile is ideal as it lacks any 'bead shell's in the pictures I've seen. Guess it's a case of try it and see.

« Reply #329 on: 25 January, 2016, 05:57:22 pm »
Like SM I'm using the old One tubeless. It's super comfy and quick, but I don't think it has anything like the durability of the Durano Plus. I don't think you can have both, so you take your choice

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #330 on: 25 January, 2016, 05:59:01 pm »
Cheers chaps, sounds like I might stick with the D+ for a while longer, Ive got plenty of life on them at the moment, but the comfort was the factor I was thinking about :)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #331 on: 25 January, 2016, 06:02:32 pm »
Yeah. The Durano Plus are superb worry-free winter commuting tyres, but boy do they give a shitty lumpy ride.

I'm thinking of giving Hutchinson Sector 28s a go  when the tubeless One tyres wear out

« Reply #332 on: 27 January, 2016, 10:20:50 am »

<snip>

Tyre now at 10,226.61 kilometres

Had no punctures/stoppages and it's still looking reasonable, and it's holding it's pressure well, and still pretty grippy, <Snip>

Hey Mikey, what pressure are you running in your Sector 28's please.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #333 on: 27 January, 2016, 10:57:22 am »

<snip>

Tyre now at 10,226.61 kilometres

Had no punctures/stoppages and it's still looking reasonable, and it's holding it's pressure well, and still pretty grippy, <Snip>

Hey Mikey, what pressure are you running in your Sector 28's please.

I run 85 psi (and I'm currently 64 kgs)

That leaves me room for a bit of pressure loss over a long weekend.... but is still comfy and rolling well..

Cycling heatmap

Phil W

« Reply #334 on: 27 January, 2016, 11:11:13 am »
I run 80 rear and 70 front and my weight varies between 75-80kg. So just depends what pressure you like really. I have run them at higher pressure but didn't find them any faster plus they weren't as smooth.

« Reply #335 on: 27 January, 2016, 11:25:49 am »
Thanks both, I'm 78kg and ran them at 95 at the weekend, up from 85, and picked up a LOT of road buzz on the front, also the front tried to get away from me in the muddy centre line when I wasn't paying attention  :facepalm: I'll take them back down a bit.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #336 on: 27 January, 2016, 11:29:52 am »
I can't quite bring myself to go any lower, probably because I'm a cowardly wimp...

Then again a little voice in my head is saying

"just suppose his pump reads 15 psi less than my pump, for the same actual pressure?"

Has anyone ever done a pump multi test??

Cycling heatmap

Phil W

« Reply #337 on: 27 January, 2016, 11:42:06 am »
I can't quite bring myself to go any lower, probably because I'm a cowardly wimp...

Then again a little voice in my head is saying

"just suppose his pump reads 15 psi less than my pump, for the same actual pressure?"

Has anyone ever done a pump multi test??

Mike is right, I read that different pumps can easily be 10-15 psi different.  So my suggestion would be to play with the different pressures your pump says, and find out what works best for you. I've run them as low as 50 psi (according to my pump) but they were a little squirmy on corners at that pressure (still very rideable though).  I generally top them up once a week, but have sometimes left it 2 or 3 weeks.

Phil W

« Reply #338 on: 27 January, 2016, 11:48:46 am »
Oh and for tubeless repair , where the hole is to big to automatically seal I use

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/Panaracer-UST-Tubeless-Tyre-Repair-Kit/PANATYRZ220000000000?utm_campaign=Googlebase&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=Googlebase&geoip=UK&gclid=CPbToYz1ycoCFYoEwwodj1YDXg&gclsrc=aw.ds

It has the advantage that you don't need to unseat the tyre bead or indeed remove the wheel from the bike. So just a normal small pump to reinflate if necessary. It looks expensive but I bought it for my MTB 10 years ago, and it's still going strong though the glue has long since dried out. Used it twice on MTB and it works great. Road bike 2 years in hasn't needed a roadside repair, as the sealant has done its job.

« Reply #339 on: 27 January, 2016, 12:17:37 pm »
Thanks again.

I'm toying with the idea of this:

http://www.milkit.bike/

for when I have to replace, seems a good way to inspect the goeyness of the goo.

« Reply #340 on: 27 January, 2016, 02:17:08 pm »

I am attracted to them given they are 700x30C,

I've been trying to get a pair since before Xmas; the German bike stores don't have stock and no indication when they might get some and my LBS haven't been able to get any out of the importer.
If you find some, please let me know where they are.

I fancy them on my Dirty Disco because they're 30mm and they seem to offer more durability than the Pro One.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #341 on: 27 January, 2016, 07:12:11 pm »

I am attracted to them given they are 700x30C,

I've been trying to get a pair since before Xmas; the German bike stores don't have stock and no indication when they might get some and my LBS haven't been able to get any out of the importer.
If you find some, please let me know where they are.

I fancy them on my Dirty Disco because they're 30mm and they seem to offer more durability than the Pro One.

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=143208;menu=1000,4,22,35

I know it says "1-3 days" but I have always found bike24 to be accurate about stock levels, lead times etc

Eye watering price however

« Reply #342 on: 27 January, 2016, 07:37:54 pm »
Thanks vorsprung.
I hadn't checked recently (ie this week) on the sites so I missed that.

A tyre has been ordered.
Fingers crossed that they do have stock.

« Reply #343 on: 28 January, 2016, 10:27:49 am »
Thanks vorsprung.

A tyre has been ordered.

Delivery time unknown again now, I originally wanted these or the 28 Pro -One Evolution on the new steed but didn't trust Schwalbe to deliver, they seem to have this issue regularly at product launch

« Reply #344 on: 28 January, 2016, 10:37:55 am »

for when I have to replace, seems a good way to inspect the goeyness of the goo

They are a very good way to inspect the gooeyness!! I backed them on kickstarter and have had a pair for a while.  Please do make sure that you completely deflate the tyre before doing the sampling thing!  otherwise your garage is sprayed with the goo!

Phil W

« Reply #345 on: 30 January, 2016, 02:38:47 pm »

for when I have to replace, seems a good way to inspect the goeyness of the goo

They are a very good way to inspect the gooeyness!! I backed them on kickstarter and have had a pair for a while.  Please do make sure that you completely deflate the tyre before doing the sampling thing!  otherwise your garage is sprayed with the goo!

Looks interesting, where did you buy them?

« Reply #346 on: 30 January, 2016, 07:17:44 pm »
When you say looks interesting, do you mean as a technique to paint the whole of the garage in latex white?

I backed them on kickstarter so got in ahead of the game.  I don't know where you buy them now.

« Reply #347 on: 15 February, 2016, 12:03:13 pm »
My own Tubeless saga continues, I am at the point where I think the fact that I am rather hefty (somewhere around the 110kg mark) is spoiling this whole experience.

A couple of weeks back on the January 200 I was on the first long ride on the tubeless set up since the Santa Special (where I also ended up running a tube due to a slash in the tyre) and about halfway into the ride just approaching the control I felt the rear tyre going down. At the control I quickly found the hole as there was sealant coming out, it was a tiny hole and I have no idea why the sealant could not do the job. I finished the rest of the ride with a tube.

I decided at that point that I should try a different sealant so I took the tyres off. While doing this I noticed that the Stans tape was actually moving about and that there was a lot of build up of the sealant around the tape. This led me to assume that most of the 'good stuff' in the sealant was being used to seal these holes and therefore when something breached the tyre nothing was left to seal it.

I took the tape off both wheels and retaped with 2 layers of Gorilla Tape over the full width of the wheel. I fixed the hole with  patch and reseated the tyres (with much vigorous pumping on the front and I submitted to CO2 on the back) then let them down added 60mls of sealant to each tyre (Hutchinson Sector 28) and inflated them to max pressure overnight. The next morning they had pretty much held all the air so I let them down and adjusted the pressure to 80psi (by my pump).

The tyre ride absolutely beautifully again. I managed several short rides with no problems and they were holding air much better than previously. In a week they lost less than 10 PSI, I hoped I had things sorted.

This weekend I went on a 100km ride, about 60km in I must have hit a flint and sealant started to spray out. I kept riding hoping it would seal but every revolution a gush of white fluid would squirt form the tyre. I stopped and turned the tyre so that the hole was at the bottom (it was a good sized hole) and it seemed to stop leaking. I pumped the tyre up again and it was holding....until I put weight on it and it started leaking again.

My next solution was to use the Dynaplug I had got for Chirstmas, I suspect the hole was to big as when I got the plug in the remaining air instantly leaked out around the plug, I wasn't going to add a second plug. By the look of my Mudguard and fork there was going to be little to no sealant left in the there. So I took one bead off, pulled out the plug and put a tube in to get me home, again.

The Hutchinsons are coming off, another failed experiment as far as I am concenred. I have a set of Schwalbe S-Ones that will be going on, it seems they have a reasonably good protective layer in the V-Guard that will hopefully stop the slashes, if it doesn't I'm going to have to admit defeat and go back to the tyre and tube set up, I can't be dealing with a puncture on every single ride of any length what ever the comfort advantages are.

I don't want to put people off, I can absolutely see a good side to this set up and I know plenty of you run tubeless with nothing but success. For me it's all wearing a bit thin but I am tyring to avoid going back to Durano Plus/marathon Plus rides as I do really like the feel the tubeless tyres bring.

I will keep the thread updated with how the Schwalbe's do.

If anyone wants a set of lightly used (repaired with Hutchinson patches) Sector 28's (pretty sure the back one has no cuts, just a couple of small holes) let me know, I won't be needing them again!

« Reply #348 on: 16 February, 2016, 09:53:21 am »
I pumped the tyre up again and it was holding....until I put weight on it and it started leaking again.

the difference (in pressure in the tyre) between you and a 65kg lightweight sitting on the bike is going to be very little

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #349 on: 20 February, 2016, 09:20:25 pm »
Thanks vorsprung.

A tyre has been ordered.

The tyre arrived soon after I'd ordered it, as did the Velocity recommended Velotape and valves from Brick Lane Bikes (quick delivery from BLB, as always) so I arranged with the LBS to go along for the fitting. That was today.
They'd already put the tape and tyre on the rim (a Velocity Aleron) with a tube in to seat the beads and the tape. That, apparently had gone OK although they were sceptical about how I'd go on if I had to repair the tyre at the road-side. It was very difficult to fit. Ulp.
Things went pear-shaped when we put the sealant in- one bead off, pour in, re-seat the bead- and then pump the tyre up.
After some dramatic popping as the bead re-seated there was a different sounding "pop" and a hissing noise; the tyre had blown and there was a small hole somewhere between the tread and the side-wall. Spinning the tyre allowed the sealant to get to the hole and a small amount was ejected before the hole was sealed. The sealing was, IMO, very impressive, the hole developing much less so.
I'm in contact with the supplier about returning the tyre since it's obviously faulty.
It'll be messy (the tyre) 'cos it's got sealant in it ..........

Two steps forward, two steps back for me.

It's still about as sexy as a tyre can get though.