Author Topic: Harlequin Hack 100km, near Oxford, 13th April  (Read 3438 times)

bikenerd

Harlequin Hack 100km, near Oxford, 13th April
« on: 03 April, 2008, 11:48:35 am »
I'll be doing this ride.  Anyone else fancy it?  It starts in Northmoor which is just to the west of Oxford.
It's a rather easy 100km with lots of delicious cake.  Exceptionally suitable for fixies.  Route is roughly Oxford->Chipping Norton->Uffington->Oxford.
Getting to the start is an approximately 13km cycle from Oxford station.  I can meet people there if they need a guide.

Re: Harlequin Hack 100km, near Oxford, 13th April
« Reply #1 on: 03 April, 2008, 04:59:06 pm »
I'm tempted. Do you know if on-the-line entries are permitted?

bikenerd

« Reply #2 on: 03 April, 2008, 05:24:51 pm »
I'm tempted. Do you know if on-the-line entries are permitted?
I don't, I'm afraid.  The calendar doesn't explicitly say online entries are not allowed.
Best to check with the organiser.
I must remember to buy some stamps to actually send my entry or I'll end up attempting on-the-line. :(

« Reply #3 on: 12 April, 2008, 09:45:18 pm »
I'm in - should be packing not typing!

Julia
Reine de la Fauche

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4 on: 13 April, 2008, 06:57:08 pm »
I'm 50/50. Pros - near home(ish), great cake at WI hall in Uffington, option to pack after said cake and ride straight home.
Cons: making a decision, and doing the paperwork.

EDIT:
Oops, for some reason I thought this was next week! Doesn't time fly ...

Was fun had? Better weather than 2006, IIRC
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

bikenerd

« Reply #5 on: 15 April, 2008, 12:27:01 pm »
Was fun had? Better weather than 2006, IIRC

A good, if surprisingly difficult day.  I last did it in 2006 as my first Audax and remember it being rather easy.  Maybe this year my lack of performance was down to the half a bottle of wine I drank the night before (oops) or the fact that, on the 2nd section, I was out on my own and actually had to pedal downhill.
However, the weather held off, I only got caught in a couple of short hail showers, the food was as excellent as I remembered it to be, the scenery around Chipping Norton and Uffington is beautiful and I managed to tag along with the West Oxon CTCers for the final stretch, making it a lot easier and helping me get in under 6 hours.  I was hoping to get in under 5 though - must ride my bike more!
I rode to and from the start from Oxford so in grand total the mileage for the day was a gnats whiskers short of 160km, so I'm going to claim my first Imperial century of the year.  Hurrah!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #6 on: 15 April, 2008, 12:50:22 pm »
I enjoyed it. Went round at the back with the organiser on fixed and did the domestique bit for 2 other members of the host club who are both somewhat older than I am. Stopped for a picnic at Curdridge (home made pork pie - utterly suberb). Got rained/hailed on once after Chipping Norton but otherwise dry. A real contrast to last year when I got sun-burned legs! A lot slower but I wasn't rushing  :)
Reine de la Fauche