Author Topic: Kingdom Come 400 Perm: CANCELLED  (Read 7319 times)

Kingdom Come 400 Perm: CANCELLED
« on: 09 April, 2008, 09:46:08 pm »
[edit - At 6am(ish), depending if I remember my water bottles or not this time  ;D] on 3 May 2008 Mr Eck and I shall be journeying from Kirriemuir to Stonehaven for pancakes and jam, having a pootle through Deeside and onto Braemar for a bit more to eat and then venturing onto Crossgates in deepest darkest Fifeshire for a fight with the locals in the evening before returning to Kirrie in the wee hours of the next morning.

Anyone else who thinks this is a good enough excuse for a day away from doing anything constructive would be most welcome  :thumbsup:

Possible/Definite:

Noodley
Eck
fin
Cyclops
the cormorant
neilmc

Re: Kingdom Come 400 Perm: Sat 3 May 2008
« Reply #1 on: 09 April, 2008, 10:45:57 pm »
....... venturing onto Crossgates in deepest darkest Fifeshire for a fight with the locals

Is that an offer ?  I once (that was enough) had the, erm, pleasure of cycling through Kirrie one dark October night.  I had the feeling I was being watched.  It is a town for locals after all... :P

I fancy giving it a go (again), but it might be painful.  I could start in deepest darkest Fifeshire and chase you up the road. ;D

I'll see how I feel after a run down to Moffat on Sunday.

« Reply #2 on: 09 April, 2008, 11:16:55 pm »
I'd love to, but:  1. not fit enough yet this year for a 400
                          2. I'll be away on my (mini)hols with Mrs McB and all the little McBs.

I was hoping to do the Kingdom Come slightly later in the year though.

RJMcB

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #3 on: 10 April, 2008, 08:18:34 am »
....... venturing onto Crossgates in deepest darkest Fifeshire for a fight with the locals

I once (that was enough) had the, erm, pleasure of cycling through Kirrie one dark October night.  I had the feeling I was being watched.  :P

Aye, we saw you. :evil:

At least you didn't get chased up the road by a local aff his heid, like wot we did in Crossgates last year.  :P

It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #4 on: 10 April, 2008, 11:53:42 am »
I may well be interested in your wee soiree.

1. What time are you intending leaving the fair city of Kirrie?
2. Is a pagger with the Fifers guaranteed?
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #5 on: 10 April, 2008, 01:51:04 pm »
I may well be interested in your wee soiree.

1. What time are you intending leaving the fair city of Kirrie?
2. Is a pagger with the Fifers guaranteed?

You would be most welcome Mr C. Strength in numbers as we stravaig through the Badlands of Fife would be No Bad Thing.

1. Prolly at six of the knock, in the am
2. You talkin' tae me, pal?

We are hoping for, er, more clement conditions than we had last year.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #6 on: 10 April, 2008, 02:58:34 pm »
Like Mr RJMcB, a 400 is something that I would consider later in the year - post snow roads, if I survive all those hills ;-)

« Reply #7 on: 10 April, 2008, 10:09:57 pm »
Right, count me in  :thumbsup:

We are hoping for, er, more clement conditions than we had last year.

I'm becoming quite adept at ridiculous weather as it's snowed on 3 out of the 4 audaxes I've done since the start of March. I may struggle with heat exhaustion if the temperature gets into double figures though.

« Reply #8 on: 10 April, 2008, 10:15:40 pm »
Right, count me in  :thumbsup:

A floor/airbed/sleeping bag/5 mile ride to the start would be available at chez Noodley should this be of interest.

« Reply #9 on: 11 April, 2008, 04:10:37 pm »
Noodley, I'am up for this adventure. Sent the entry form away this afternoon.

Neilmc.

the cormorant

« Reply #10 on: 11 April, 2008, 05:21:12 pm »
Yep, I'm up for this as well.

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #11 on: 11 April, 2008, 05:27:38 pm »

Neilmc.

:thumbsup: Is it the thought of the Giant Pancakes at Stonehaven or a deep- seated need to atone for your, ahem, visitation in the pitch dark and pissing rain near the end of our last adventure that has prompted you to volunteer for this? Or just our scintillating company?
You're welcome for a pre-ride caffeine boost, car parking etc again if you want.

« Reply #12 on: 11 April, 2008, 07:51:38 pm »

Neilmc.

:thumbsup: Is it the thought of the Giant Pancakes at Stonehaven or a deep- seated need to atone for your, ahem, visitation in the pitch dark and pissing rain near the end of our last adventure that has prompted you to volunteer for this? Or just our scintillating company?
You're welcome for a pre-ride caffeine boost, car parking etc again if you want.
I'd forgotten about the pancakes, looking forward to them already ;D.
Visitations do not come much worse than that one Eck. Wet, tired, chucking it down and a burn running down the road (character building). >:(

I will take you up on your offer of coffee and parking at Eck towers, much appreciated. :thumbsup:

« Reply #13 on: 11 April, 2008, 09:38:33 pm »
I was hoping to do the Kingdom Come slightly later in the year though.

I'd imagine there will be more than one version this year  :thumbsup:
Just like I'd imagine there will be more than one Snow Roads  ;D

the cormorant

« Reply #14 on: 15 April, 2008, 01:32:02 pm »
Noodley - you have PM.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #15 on: 15 April, 2008, 02:02:27 pm »
I can't do a 400 at this point in time. However I could ride part of it, the Deeside loop. Under AUK rules I'd have to register for the 400 and then DNF as just riding along with you is verboten. Probably won't, though my daughter is away that weekend in Embra.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

frere yacker

« Reply #16 on: 15 April, 2008, 05:08:14 pm »
This is a pretty little ride - have fond memories of it from when I did it in Summer 2006.  From memory, in the same week as I did Snow Roads *grin*

Alas I can't make it north of the border this year due to various other things.

« Reply #17 on: 17 April, 2008, 10:36:13 am »
I got an e-mail from the organiser last night asking if I could let everyone know she is currently out of cards but should have a stock of them within the next week or so, and she will get them out to us asap.  :thumbsup:

She'd picked up on there being a group of us riding it. There may be a couple of others from Angus CC joining in as well.

« Reply #18 on: 17 April, 2008, 11:29:56 am »
It also appears the price on the AUK website is wrong. It costs £2 to enter not a £1 which is what I sent :-[

« Reply #19 on: 17 April, 2008, 08:07:09 pm »
It also appears the price on the AUK website is wrong. It costs £2 to enter not a £1 which is what I sent :-[

Just as well I am a plank and didn't read the AUK webpage until after I had written the cheque  ;D 

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #20 on: 17 April, 2008, 10:35:24 pm »
I'll have to sit this one out - I'm taking it really easy getting back on the bike, still have a few problems to sort out with the medics. Doesn't stop me being jealous of you guys though, that was one of my favourite runs last year - at least until it got dark. Least said about the return leg from Fife the better. You're sure to have better weather this year! :thumbsup:
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #21 on: 18 April, 2008, 07:58:29 am »
I can't do a 400 at this point in time. However I could ride part of it, the Deeside loop. Under AUK rules I'd have to register for the 400 and then DNF as just riding along with you is verboten. Probably won't, though my daughter is away that weekend in Embra.

..d

DM - you may (or you may not) be interested to know there's a 200k DIY Perm version of the Deeside Loop, from Kirrie - Banchory - Braemar - Blairgowrie - Kirrie. PM me if you want more info.

Creaky Knees

« Reply #22 on: 18 April, 2008, 07:42:28 pm »
Might be interested to to this one but is it very hilly?

..d

DM - you may (or you may not) be interested to know there's a 200k DIY Perm version of the Deeside Loop, from Kirrie - Banchory - Braemar - Blairgowrie - Kirrie. PM me if you want more info.

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #23 on: 18 April, 2008, 09:06:01 pm »
Might be interested to to this one but is it very hilly?

No,CKnees, it's not "very" hilly . Here's a link to the route:
http://www.total-cycling.tk2u.co.uk/fifeda/perm.html
We will be starting and finishing at Kirriemuir (near Forfar). A blast up the coast for pancakes at Stonehaven, a dawdle up Deeside to Braemar, then the only real climb over the Cairnwell from Braemar, through Perth, down through Darkest Fife at closing time, then back up to Kirrie. Not a hard route at all.

Hope this helps: we hope to have a relaxed peltalong, sticking together for the day's entertainment. Hope you can join us.

« Reply #24 on: 19 April, 2008, 01:39:49 am »
The "calendar" Deeside Loop is the week after this 400 perm on 11 May  :thumbsup: