Author Topic: Clarity on Garmin gps maps  (Read 1193 times)

macthebike

• I think therefor I am.
Clarity on Garmin gps maps
« on: 27 August, 2010, 08:36:20 pm »
I have just started using a GarmineTrex Legend H  and find  the map confusing when navigating. This imay be due to me being partly colour blind (which a lot of blokes are, but never women). Green/red confusion is very common.

As far as I know you cannot alter the colour of the thick line that shows the route ,or the colour or size of the arrow that indicates where on the route you are. This means that I lose the black arrow in the red line. I also confuse the red line withe certain mainroads which are also red.

The manual doesn`t mention being able to change colours...but has anybody out there tried to change them?

Re: Clarity on Garmin gps maps
« Reply #1 on: 27 August, 2010, 09:13:24 pm »
Change the colour of the route in MapSource before you load it up. It's a property of the route or track not a function on the device.

macthebike

• I think therefor I am.
« Reply #2 on: 27 August, 2010, 10:48:13 pm »
Thanks Mr Nesbitt....do you know where in mapsource  I can find the colour change facility ?  I`ve had a good look at the user manual.

« Reply #3 on: 28 August, 2010, 07:50:00 am »
Double click on the route/track to open its properties and you can't miss it.

« Reply #4 on: 28 August, 2010, 08:43:22 am »
This may vary from model to model but with my Map60CSx I can choose the colour of a Route or a Track in Mapsource but when downloaded to the GPS unit only the Tracks retain my chosen colour. Any Route downloaded will show on the unit only as a magenta highlighted line when "Navigated".

I've never used a Legend so I don't know what user options it offers in this regard, but it's probably a clue that in my model at least, I can open a Track and select or alter the colour in the unit itself. I cannot do this in the unit with Routes.

As an aid to visibility, some people load both a Track and a Route for the same ride and then alter the Track colour to say light green or cyan and set it to "Show on map" and then "Navigate" the Route. They then get a [cyan] Track line highlit by a magenta Route indicator. This also gives the added security of seeing if the path chosen by the GPS unit for the auto Route calculation (which won't always be the same as the path showing in Mapsource on your PC) diverts from the Track line, which the unit won't interfere with.