Author Topic: Portion size theory...  (Read 2937 times)

Portion size theory...
« on: 21 January, 2009, 03:58:12 pm »
Recently have been thinking about how we tend to consume too many calories, while accepting that 'snacking' is probably the worst thing.

Anyway...

Who dishes up the main meal in your house? 
How do you or they judge how much to give?
Do you always or never have left overs?

My point I suppose is that some one else can often be in control of how much goes on you plate, and if you're like me the plate is always clean afterwards.

Mrs ao, tends to cook more, and I tend to have the job of doleing out the food.  We tend to have meals such as pasta, curry, caseroles etc, where the amount you stick on the plate is kind of limited by how much is cooked/size of plate.  Often there is one+ portion leftover which I have the next day.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: Portion size theory...
« Reply #1 on: 21 January, 2009, 04:14:09 pm »
Who dishes up the main meal in your house? 

Whoever's cooked it.  Liz and I share the cooking based on who gets home first and who can be arsed that evening.

How do you or they judge how much to give?

Depends on a finely developed series of criteria based on how much we've ridden recently, what month it is and our current BMI.  Usually easier to just ask, though...

Do you always or never have left overs?

Only if we've cooked for four and we're only eating half of it so we don't have to cook the following night.

I'm a terrible gannet and more likely to encourage the consumption of pudding.  Pudding should, in my opinion, contain one of the following:

Custard
Chocolate
Rice pudding
Cake
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 21 January, 2009, 04:15:11 pm »
Ditto ditto & ditto, generally, although sometimes we don't know when we start cooking if Our Kid will be joining us for the repast.
Getting there...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 21 January, 2009, 04:17:03 pm »
Portion control is one of the easier ways to control belly.  Two tricks:

1: No seconds!  Surplus nosh goes into tupperware and away from temptation in the fridge.

2: Pad out with lots of non-starchy veg, so you're not left empty.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

inc

« Reply #4 on: 21 January, 2009, 04:20:10 pm »
Recently have been thinking about how we tend to consume too many calories, while accepting that 'snacking' is probably the worst thing.

Snacking is probably the best way to eat, a little and often but not very practical.

« Reply #5 on: 21 January, 2009, 04:43:54 pm »
1 - we take it in turns to cook.  We normally cook for 3 and share the leftovers the following day for lunch as we both work from home.
2 - we generally fill both plates
3 - Not normally.

One of lifes great unfairnesses is that we eat more or less the same but I weigh twice what she does.  Bah.

as andy says, since i started padding out with veg and not having starchy carbs on nights when I hadnt 'earnt it' (been out on the bike), then I've lost quite a bit of lard.

« Reply #6 on: 21 January, 2009, 05:35:23 pm »
1: No seconds!  Surplus nosh goes into tupperware and away from temptation in the fridge.

Surley the fridge is where temptation lives?

'i think i'll have a cup of tea, i'll get the milk out the fridge...mmmm cold tarka dhal!'

« Reply #7 on: 21 January, 2009, 06:02:36 pm »
I like to see all the togetherness on display..Your turn or mine tonight,dear.

I shop for it
I cook it
I serve it
I eat it...
 and then
I do the washing up.

The dog does nothing.Nothing.

n
Mal-odorous,liver-spotted, coffin-dodger.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #8 on: 21 January, 2009, 06:09:30 pm »

Pudding should, in my opinion, contain one of the following:

Custard
Chocolate
Rice pudding
Cake

If you ever come to my house for tea I will serve you chocolate rice pudding with a Battenberg stuck in it. Or yellow Swiss roll and custard with a bar of chocolate for dunking.

I live alone so all the cooking, serving and decision making is down to me. I tend to cook just as much as I need and eat it all. Sometimes I'll make quadruple or double and keep it for the next day or freeze it.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #9 on: 21 January, 2009, 06:12:27 pm »
... Pudding should, in my opinion, contain one of the following:

Custard
Chocolate
Rice pudding
Cake

Only one  ???  ;D

« Reply #10 on: 21 January, 2009, 06:42:17 pm »

Snacking is probably the best way to eat, a little and often but not very practical.

You do also have to give up the main meals
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #11 on: 21 January, 2009, 09:15:13 pm »

Custard
Chocolate
Rice pudding
Cake
Didn't you miss out the words "at least" before "one"? ;)
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #12 on: 21 January, 2009, 09:20:33 pm »
My main meal tends to be served by the man in the kebab shop
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

annie

« Reply #13 on: 21 January, 2009, 09:26:37 pm »
This is a subject that causes arguments in our house.  Mr A serves huge portions to JC and no matter how often I ask him to serve smaller portions, it never happens. 

I like to eat the same way that I expect my dogs to eat, which is to eat little and often.  Large meals make me feel ill and  bloated.  I am a bit of a greedy guts and often don't stick to the 90% rule.

I find that drinking water with my meal helps me to feel fuller sooner.

Chris S

« Reply #14 on: 21 January, 2009, 09:34:06 pm »
My portion sizes are currently tiny as I'm on a 5x300kcal "meal" regime.

Not too many problems with hunger. Porridge early in the day is bleedin' miracle worker in that respect, as is a protein shake after the gym/a turbo session.

Mrs S is doing a fine job of working this into the usual routine. I basically have what the others are having - just 300 kcals worth, though I might have to (for example) have salad instead of potato.

Fruit and veg are also great. I had one of Tesco's big trays of Melon chunks for a snack last week, and I felt stuffed afterwards.

Watery food (Porridge made with water, water based Soups, fruit and veg) are great for making you feel full.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: 21 January, 2009, 10:07:36 pm »

Custard
Chocolate
Rice pudding
Cake

If you ever come to my house for tea I will serve you chocolate rice pudding with a Battenberg stuck in it. Or yellow Swiss roll and custard with a bar of chocolate for dunking.

*books tickets to Scotland*

:D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk