Author Topic: Pizza base dough recipe...  (Read 2060 times)

Pizza base dough recipe...
« on: 19 August, 2012, 08:43:08 pm »
Anyone have a tried and tested pizza dough recipe?   Can it be done in a bread maker?

Andy
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: Pizza base dough recipe...
« Reply #1 on: 19 August, 2012, 08:54:52 pm »
yes* & yes

* strictly speaking not I but marj

ETA
hth
 :demon:

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #2 on: 19 August, 2012, 11:17:05 pm »
Flour, yeast and water, with maybe a pinch of salt. Sachet of dried yeast does enough for two large pizzas. Mix it in a bowl and knead it for 10 minutes, leave to rise for about an hour (covered with a little olive oil). Roll out. Easy, and will knock spots off any supermarket pizza or any of these junk food places that stuffs 4-5 menus through my letterbox every week and who seem to think that a 2l bottle of Coke is a form of persuasion.

Surely if you use a breadmaker it will come out looking like a loaf? I don't get it.

« Reply #3 on: 20 August, 2012, 04:28:55 am »
The breadmaker is used only to mix the dough ;)
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4 on: 20 August, 2012, 07:27:53 am »
As easy as peesey.

Use about half the ingredients you would for a loaf.  I don't bother with all that proving then knocking back business.  I just knead it into the correct shape and then place it on a board and slip that into a large plastic bag and leave it for a couple of hours.
It's fun to experiment with adding garlic and herbs to the mix.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #5 on: 20 August, 2012, 08:27:20 am »
Tried and tested bread machine recipe, used every Saturday for the last twelfty years, put the pan on the scales and weigh the big stuff in including the liquids:

Veg oil: 60-90g
Water: enough to make total weight 350g
Strong flour: 450g
1 dsp salt
1 dsp sugar
1 dsp quick action yeast

Yes it's a lot of oil, that's what makes the difference between pizza and bread (esp. using a normal oven). The dough will be slightly sticky so flour the table well. And flour the baking trays, do not grease them.

Makes enough for two baking-tray sized pizzas. Leave to rise for a bit after you've put the toppings on.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #6 on: 20 August, 2012, 08:47:12 am »
All I would change to Pickle's recipe is to make sure it's decent olive oil, and I would err to the lower end of the quantity range. Also, pizza dough is the one type of bread dough that doesn't benefit from wholemeal flour, for some reason, IMHO.

OT, but Sainsbury's passata is a useful short cut for the topping. Tesco's is too runny.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #7 on: 20 August, 2012, 09:38:55 am »
I'd concur with both those points - olive oil when I can afford it, and I normally use ~70g these days. The original recipe this was adapted from called for 150g of oil!

« Reply #8 on: 20 August, 2012, 12:05:10 pm »
tsp= tea
tbs= table
dsp = desert

« Reply #9 on: 20 August, 2012, 12:18:12 pm »
dsp

tsp = teaspoon
somthing must = tablespoon
dsp = what? Double, dollop, dry?

tsp = 5 ml
dsp = dessert spoon = 10 ml
tbsp = 15 ml

« Reply #10 on: 20 August, 2012, 12:24:23 pm »
Except if it's an Australian recipe where a tbsp is 20 ml  ;)
(at school in home economics/cooking we learnt 1 tsp = 5 ml 2 tsp = 1 dsp and 2 dsp = 1 tbsp)
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #11 on: 20 August, 2012, 01:52:14 pm »
500g flour (400g strong white + 100g semolina works)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp instant yeast
300ml tepid water

No oil.

Can be mixed in a bread machine (ours has a pizza dough programme), but I use a hand mixer and dough hooks to mix and "knead" (up to 10 mins).  Leave covered in a bowl to rise; 30 minutes is about right.

What makes it pizza and not bread is that it doesn't have time to rise in the same way as bread.

« Reply #12 on: 20 August, 2012, 05:12:16 pm »
Strong flour eh?  How strong is strong then? :P

« Reply #13 on: 20 August, 2012, 07:58:59 pm »
Excellent will experiment.  We have a bread maker and the dough (recipe below) we've made is Ok, but not great.

1/2 tsp yeast
300g Strong white flour
1/2 tbsp sugar
15g marge (use 3 dsp olive oil)
1 tbsp milk powder
1(-1/2) tsp salt
210ml water

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #14 on: 21 August, 2012, 01:01:03 pm »
Try leaving the milk powder out altogether, and reducing the sugar to the same quantity as the yeast.  You're using instant yeast, yes? 

(And IMHO you don't need oil or fat either, for pizza).

« Reply #15 on: 21 August, 2012, 01:08:08 pm »
I'll disagree with RJ on the oil. It seems to make the dough soak up less of the juice from the topping. Makes the pizzas less soggy if you're using thinnish bases. YMMV.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.