Author Topic: Bad smells and how to get rid  (Read 2289 times)

Bad smells and how to get rid
« on: 03 April, 2010, 07:05:57 pm »
Hello,
How is the best way to get rid of bad smells? In particular the smell of burnt chopping board. Not that ive just burnt the chopping board again or anything.

It fecking stinks, and ive let everything cool but ive had to bring the chopping board back in  :sick:

Don't question. It makes people angry.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Bad smells and how to get rid
« Reply #1 on: 03 April, 2010, 07:13:44 pm »
Plastic or wood?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2 on: 03 April, 2010, 07:19:13 pm »
Wood. Its quite old aswell. Has a certain smell to it which seems to lingering longer this time :sick:

« Reply #3 on: 03 April, 2010, 07:22:34 pm »
Walk several hundred yards down the road and bung it in someone else's front garden? Then buy a new one?
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

rogerzilla

« Reply #4 on: 03 April, 2010, 07:24:11 pm »
...is the obvious solution.  Or, if it's a much-loved chopping board, sand it down.

« Reply #5 on: 03 April, 2010, 07:25:35 pm »
Mum will notice when she gets back.
It wont have the burnt bit on the back from the other times ive burnt it. Its got a few black circles on the bottom of it. Its just the smell i need rid of, my nose still isnt getting used to it :sick:

Im not sure if its worse then the time my brother put the top oven on when it had the grill pan and frying pan in and then opened up the door, which filed the kitchen with a horrible smell :sick:

« Reply #6 on: 03 April, 2010, 07:28:27 pm »
...is the obvious solution.  Or, if it's a much-loved chopping board, sand it down.

Do people ever have "much-loved" chopping boards?!!! I mean, yeah - I have guitars and bikes that are very precious to me. But a chopping board is just a lump of frequently useful wood rather than a thing of affection. I'm sure 1gear's mum will understand.... Bin the fuck....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #7 on: 03 April, 2010, 07:30:17 pm »
It wont have the burnt bit on the back from the other times ive burnt it. Its got a few black circles on the bottom of it. Its just the smell i need rid of, my nose still isnt getting used to it :sick:

Im not sure if its worse then the time my brother put the top oven on when it had the grill pan and frying pan in and then opened up the door, which filed the kitchen with a horrible smell :sick:

take some photos of it and then pre-age the new one to match

« Reply #8 on: 03 April, 2010, 07:35:14 pm »

Do people ever have "much-loved" chopping boards?!!! I mean, yeah - I have guitars and bikes that are very precious to me. But a chopping board is just a lump of frequently useful wood rather than a thing of affection. I'm sure 1gear's mum will understand.... Bin the fuck....

Its a very nice chopping board.
Well, one side is.........

What, burn a new one? ???

rogerzilla

« Reply #9 on: 03 April, 2010, 07:50:21 pm »
Phone a friend who does a lot of dope.  They're the experts at quickly disguising the smell of burning.

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #10 on: 03 April, 2010, 07:54:04 pm »
 Rub a lemon over it that is usually pretty good at getting rid of 'niffs'
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #11 on: 03 April, 2010, 07:54:20 pm »
...is the obvious solution.  Or, if it's a much-loved chopping board, sand it down.

Its a very nice chopping board.
Well, one side is.........

What, burn a new one? ???
to make it look like the old one so Mrs 1gear the elder doesn't realise

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #12 on: 03 April, 2010, 08:00:06 pm »
How the feck do you burn a chopping board?  IT'S A CHOPPING BOARD!!  Not a saucepan, or a frying pan, or a grill pan!! IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO GET HOT! IT'S A FECKING CHOPPING BOARD!!!!   :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

rogerzilla

« Reply #13 on: 03 April, 2010, 08:04:14 pm »
I surmise that Mr. Gear used it as a trivet.

« Reply #14 on: 03 April, 2010, 08:13:18 pm »
Well, what happened was i turned the ring on. The back right. The chopping board sits over the front two rings because we dont use them.
I turned the front right on by accident then took my bike down to the shed.
When i opened the back door i could smell it then :facepalm: :sick:

« Reply #15 on: 03 April, 2010, 08:15:45 pm »
Oh, and i dont have a lemon. Nor do i have any other fruit.
Whats the next best thing?

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #16 on: 03 April, 2010, 08:16:37 pm »
Our kitchen also has a smell problem. We've just had a cheese fondue and the kitchen and hall are still ripe.

Re the chopping board: brush off the carbon and wash. What's left is known as "character". We have just such a chopping board with electric cooker ring marks branded on one side. A momento of the flat we lived in as students.

« Reply #17 on: 03 April, 2010, 08:29:41 pm »
Our kitchen also has a smell problem. We've just had a cheese fondue and the kitchen and hall are still ripe.

Re the chopping board: brush off the carbon and wash. What's left is known as "character". We have just such a chopping board with electric cooker ring marks branded on one side. A momento of the flat we lived in as students.

Ive just given it a good scrubbing and used some fairy liquid.
It still smells abit

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #18 on: 05 April, 2010, 03:22:23 pm »
Or, if it's a much-loved chopping board, sand it down.

Surely just a good soak would solve that?

Alternatively you could splash out on a new one?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #19 on: 05 April, 2010, 03:39:38 pm »
Walk several hundred yards down the road and bung it in someone else's front garden? Then buy a new one?
Chop it up for firewood.

Then buy a new one.

Alternatively you could splash out on a new one?
That's another smell that would need getting rid of.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897