Author Topic: What are you doing right now?  (Read 2453591 times)

ian

Re: What are you doing right now?
« Reply #22300 on: 22 September, 2018, 09:29:35 pm »
I decided October lives in her dead parents' old house in the Quiet Corner. She's quite definitely having a bad night in. Wicked it will be. I think she'll be OK.

I'm having a better night in, temporarily freed of marital shackles I'm drinking all the beer that doesn't have a post-it note that says NO! on it. Which meant going to the shops because she's labelled every single can. Sometimes sharing sucks. Really, I'm going to find her stock of post-its and bin them. She's a serious labeller. You know the girl at school who wrote her name on everything, from her pencil case to her PE stuff? I married her. I expect to find she's stuck a post-it note to my back.

Bread is being made. I predict the most awesome grilled cheese sandwiches. I've figured out a way to exponentiate cheese. You take the bread, slice it, and soak each slice in cheese sauce. Then assemble a sandwich with your cheese impregnated bread slices filled with generous (don't you dare be modest) amounts of grated cheese, onion, and paprika, squish it all together and fry the hell of out it and flip. The middle should, of course, be properly molten. If not, fry it some more until everything is toasty. The result is basically awesome spelled out with cheese.

I think I just drooled on my keyboard.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #22301 on: 22 September, 2018, 11:06:30 pm »
Your wife is me and I claim my five pounds (and it appears we share the same name too).
Your cheese sandwhich sounds like an Elvis waiting to happen.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #22302 on: 23 September, 2018, 12:12:21 am »
I thought an 'Elvis' was a bananananananana/PBJ sandwich, fried in butter.

Hungry now! [grams] 'WHOOSH! SIZZZZZZZZZLE! YUUMMMMMM....!'
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #22303 on: 23 September, 2018, 05:50:56 am »
Getting ready to leave the house at 6:30, to get to Hammerfest in about 12 hours with three flights
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22304 on: 23 September, 2018, 10:40:23 am »
Applying tea & buns to Mrs. T, who has just run a half-marathon in the rain.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #22305 on: 23 September, 2018, 11:15:43 am »
Making mint jelly. Then some curry.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

« Reply #22306 on: 23 September, 2018, 11:39:42 am »
Your wife is me and I claim my five pounds (and it appears we share the same name too).
Your cheese sandwhich sounds like an Elvis waiting to happen.

It was quite the most awesome of sandwiches and indeed, I felt the presence of Elvis. The trick is to make a really dense cheese sauce so you don't end up with entirely soggy bread, it has to fry till it's crispy on the outsides, but be moist enough that there's time for the cheese innards to properly melt and the onion to sweeten. Went lovely with a Mad Squirrel Opaque IPA.

Awesome aside, I'm probably not going to eat any more cheese today.

My wife sent me a distress message from her destination. What awful travelling horror has befallen her! Air Canada had NO tonic water, that's what. I think she may have DMed Trudeaux on Twitter.

Today promises to be pleasingly dull. I should do something like go ride my bike. But you know. Rain. Rain. Rain. More rain. And I presume the noise that sounds like someone is doing something distressful to a donkey on an industrial scale down in the valley means there are no trains. Yup.

ian

« Reply #22307 on: 23 September, 2018, 12:01:07 pm »
I thought an 'Elvis' was a bananananananana/PBJ sandwich, fried in butter.

Hungry now! [grams] 'WHOOSH! SIZZZZZZZZZLE! YUUMMMMMM....!'

A friend of mine had the Luther at Churchkey in DC. Fried chicken in a glazed Krispy Kreme doughnut with inappropriately appropriate trimmings. A bite was enough. I occasionally like chicken and waffle which it's obviously a riff on, and I  enjoy pancakes with all the breakfast trimmings when I'm in the mood stateside (we can't do it right in Britain), but glazed doughnut is a bit much.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #22308 on: 27 September, 2018, 08:19:12 pm »
Yesterday and today (and on-off the previous two weeks) I have been playing 3D-Tetris, as Mother has decided to move into a smaller home (and one without stairs).  We paid proper movers to handle the big/heavy stuff, but because $REASONS there are many things which we've moved - or still need to move - ourselves.

I am also rejoicing in the fact that my back has survived through the worst of the moving.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #22309 on: 27 September, 2018, 10:58:29 pm »
Sitting up and watching crap TV while I wait for my lift to arrive to Heathrow at 02:15. A boys weekend in Kiev awaits.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Chris S

« Reply #22310 on: 01 October, 2018, 09:50:22 am »
Clumping round the house in a pair of new walking boots, trying to decide if they fit properly.

« Reply #22311 on: 01 October, 2018, 09:57:50 am »
Waiting for a UPS van to arrive with my replacement HRM strap (not entirely urgent as Garmin does wrist based HR but I don't want the faff of having to rearrange delivery/collection).
Because of that, holding off getting the soot bike out of the bike bunker in order to fit new pedals (old ones are rusty and found a spare set of M520s in the grand clearout).
Because of those, holding off going for a 2-3h bimble around Richmond Park to help get fit and unfat.

To pass the time I'm faffing at home and playing Golf Clash to help my daughter progress in the game. (Although it may be because I like playing games too.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #22312 on: 01 October, 2018, 11:26:15 am »
Waiting for the aeroplane that will take us back to London.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ian

« Reply #22313 on: 01 October, 2018, 09:31:37 pm »
Arriving home after flying back to London. Five a.m. starts don't suit my temperament. That dread moment when I opened my eyes and saw the alarm clock had illuminated (I have one those daylight things), swearing that I'd only just gone to bed (a double episode of Fringe and DDHed something-or-other from Northern Monk meant that was essentially true). It always seems like a better idea the night before. I left the house to the sound of a cat throwing up and a plaintive cry from my wife. I don't know where she learned those words (my wife, the cat sounded like she was trying call forth Cthulu). Sorry, dear, but my taxi was outside.

Got a taxi ride in a posh Tesla thing from Schiphol down to the Leiden. I couldn't figure out how to open the door. Honestly, I like door handles. My car, admittedly, still has windows you have to roll down by hand. Despite a sat-nav system that seemed to occupy the entire dashboard, we still got lost. An inability to follow clear directions has always been Elon Musk's downfall too. You can't get in a gull-wing car without feeling like you've stepped into a mildly better future than the one we will get. I once drove a DeLorean around a Walmart carpark in NJ. I did ask, apparently the owner wasn't convinced it would do 88mph without a mechanical calamity. Probably hard to get a replacement flux capacitor these days. That, incidentally, was my first ever driving lesson. I may not have pointed that out until I was in the driving seat. Americans assume that babies simply drive out of the womb (and, if my experience is to be believed, directly onto the Garden State Parkway).

Starving now because I've only a yoghurty thing all day (that's what happens when you spend the time allotted for lunch circling Leiden in a Tesla). Of course, my wife is out and won't be back till late (wait till she learns they've replaced the trains with a bus service after 11pm – oh, those words again), so I can't even eat. I feel this justifies a school-night G&T.

Yes, my life is actually this exciting. I don't know how I bear it.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #22314 on: 02 October, 2018, 01:05:31 pm »
My grate frend Mr Gracey has a Tesla Model 3.  That giant free-floating tablet thing it sports in lieu of a dashboard would drive me into a big stabby rage in minutes, and it comes worryingly close to the driver's kneecap.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22315 on: 02 October, 2018, 01:12:28 pm »
At some point we'll outgrow the engineers who watched Star Trek: The Next Generation as children and hopefully all this touchscreen nonsense will stop.  No doubt to be replaced by something worse.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #22316 on: 02 October, 2018, 01:31:59 pm »
We travelled too and from Heathrow in my friends Lexus which has a built in Satnav and this, along with all the other cars ancillaries, is controlled by a big twiddly pushy knob in the centre consol. So it would seem that the Japanese are already ahead of the curve on that one. As usual.

ian

« Reply #22317 on: 02 October, 2018, 01:40:17 pm »
A Tesla does seem like the sort of car invented for boys. (Not that I think girls can't have them of course, I just like to think they have more sense.)

I have a twelve year old Ford Ka which is basically a glorified supermarket trolley with an engine. I'm obviously not up on the modern car thang. I do like the cars that park themselves on the grounds that I never learned how to park a car (it's the US, you stop and get out, job done).

Anyway, it's all voice control innit. You get in, tell it where to go. Rephrase it more politely.

« Reply #22318 on: 04 October, 2018, 11:32:54 am »
Installing a full copy of Texlive on my laptop. To be followed by the latest version of LyX.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22319 on: 04 October, 2018, 12:26:22 pm »
Well, I should be getting ready to go cycling, but I've got a bad attack of ICBA syndrome.  I'll see after I finish my current cuppa.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #22320 on: 05 October, 2018, 09:14:05 pm »
Drinking beer (a Mondo Dennis Hopp'r IPA), booming some tunez (new speakers go a lot louder, good job I have a detached house), waiting for pizza dough to prove and tomatoes to slow roast, and finishing up some work (an infographic on AI and honestly I just want to draw a Terminator mashing things because SkyNet and Wargames are everything we need to know about AI) for ze Frankfurter Book Fair (at which I won't possibly be running off to the other hall kidnap a literary agent, no sir). I'm supposed to write a presentation but my brain has gone musher than peas. Writing presentations is the main reason for airports to exist. Handily, they seem to be where I spend half my life.

In other news, someone has finally noted that I've spent the last two years writing to our finance team in the style of HP Lovecraft. Damn them and their eldritch spreadsheets. I need to think of a prize for her. It proves there's actual life on those noisome, fathomless subdecks, something we have questioned for some time. Possibly a rescue mission.

« Reply #22321 on: 06 October, 2018, 07:20:22 pm »
Sitting in a cinema in Liverpool, wishing I was at the Met in NY for Aida, rather than just watching a live broadcast.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #22322 on: 06 October, 2018, 07:35:35 pm »
Drinking beer (a Mondo Dennis Hopp'r IPA), booming some tunez (new speakers go a lot louder, good job I have a detached house), waiting for pizza dough to prove and tomatoes to slow roast, and finishing up some work (an infographic on AI and honestly I just want to draw a Terminator mashing things because SkyNet and Wargames are everything we need to know about AI) for ze Frankfurter Book Fair (at which I won't possibly be running off to the other hall kidnap a literary agent, no sir). I'm supposed to write a presentation but my brain has gone musher than peas. Writing presentations is the main reason for airports to exist. Handily, they seem to be where I spend half my life.

In other news, someone has finally noted that I've spent the last two years writing to our finance team in the style of HP Lovecraft. Damn them and their eldritch spreadsheets. I need to think of a prize for her. It proves there's actual life on those noisome, fathomless subdecks, something we have questioned for some time. Possibly a rescue mission.

Hmm, I'm putting off reviewing someone elses slides this weekend on the basis of most of a day ferrying small person around to band practise, ballet practise with shopping and running while I wait. 

I'm supposed to be delivering training in about 15 days based on slides other people are writing, which I haven't seen yet adn have not been discussed with me for content.   I have next Saturday flying to Saudi to review stuff.  Wing it? I'm practically an albatross.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #22323 on: 07 October, 2018, 11:05:49 am »
Sitting in a cinema in Liverpool, wishing I was at the Met in NY for Aida, rather than just watching a live broadcast.
Dr Beardy (Mrs) raved about this when I picked her up after the show. On the plus side, the advances in broadcasting tech mean that many more of you can watch a production that most would not be able to get to and the extra revenues allow the venues to actually break-even, even on lavish productions like this. On the double plus side, it means that Dr Beardy (Mrs) can attend these productions with her friend rather than taking me to suffer, as she would if we made a trip to New York.  ;D

« Reply #22324 on: 07 October, 2018, 11:17:05 am »
Dr Beardy (Mrs) raved about this when I picked her up after the show. On the plus side, the advances in broadcasting tech mean that many more of you can watch a production that most would not be able to get to and the extra revenues allow the venues to actually break-even, even on lavish productions like this. On the double plus side, it means that Dr Beardy (Mrs) can attend these productions with her friend rather than taking me to suffer, as she would if we made a trip to New York.  :-D

It misses the atmosphere of the live show, but on the other hand you get a better view of the proceedings than from any seat I'm ever likely to pay for .   I just wish they'd sort the tech out a bit more.  Every broadcast show I've seen has had some minor glitches.  The intervals take you backstage & you see the stagehands & techs moving the huge sets around which is fascinating, it must take as much practice & rehearsal as the actual performance. 

A great show.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark