Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Ctrl-Alt-Del / Reconnecting BT Landline Cable
« Last post by Martin109 on Today at 06:27:38 pm »
I have finally managed to reroute the BT landline cable, which I still need for my internet (until copper connections are discontinued in the next year), which a very lazy BT man routed years ago by drilling through the door!  The linked picture shows a white aerial cable also routed through the door, with the black BT cable below it.  All has gone satisfactorily, including drilling through 450mm of cottage stone wall to get the cable in the right place, and I have reconnected.  I am writing this on the resulting internet connection - so far so good.  However, I seem to have lost the landline phone dial tone.  The cable has 8 wires - orange (which I used), green, blue & brown, and 4 white wires, one of which was connected originally.  Having cut the cable to a new suitable length, I selected the orange wire and one of the white ones, having to do this at random as there are no twisted pairs, and the result is this internet connection.  The white wires are plain white, rather than having a little coloured stripe spiralling around them, as I've seen in ethernet cables.  Does it matter which white wire I select?  Do the white wires have any effect on the landline phone?

All a little complicated by the fact that we've been having thunderstorms here today, meaning the line is tending to drop out more than it normally does (for a few minutes every couple of days on average)!
OT Gallery / Re: Readers' Instruments
« Last post by Ham on Today at 06:20:51 pm »
Well, 2 x 1mm packing shims + 1 slice of cc (so about 2.75mm) under the saddle has brought it back to playable, thanks for the nudge in the right direction.
OT Knowledge / Re: Apostophy?
« Last post by Pingu on Today at 06:19:07 pm »
Different sides of a roundabout in Furrybootoon:

King's Gate and Kings Gate.
« Last post by R_nger on Today at 06:15:11 pm »
Saw this story the day after contemplating the local adjacent roads “Drakes Drive” and “Admirals Walk”.
The Pub / Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Last post by Mr Larrington on Today at 06:05:47 pm »
Forgot it’s a bank holiday.  Puzzled by Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles being full of kiddiewinks until light dawned.

Then forgot it was a bank holiday again.  Cut short my listening plezh of As Ra Tempel's very splendid and worthwhile Gin Rosé At The Royal Festival Hall to blunder downstairs for the news only to discover it’s not on until 18:30.  Bolleaux.
« Last post by rogerzilla on Today at 05:56:13 pm »
Swindon definitely doesn't use them.  Akers Way, Drakes Way, Queens Drive - all major thoroughfares   Even totally unambiguous cases like St Margarets Road.
Racing / Re: Giro d'Italia 2024
« Last post by andyoxon on Today at 05:56:06 pm »
(click to show/hide)
On The Road / Re: 'War on Motorist'
« Last post by drossall on Today at 05:55:02 pm »
I'm a bit shocked too. I thought perhaps that the Civil Service would have a role in making it more even-handed, just in order to make it actually return representative views.
The Sporting Life / Re: County Cricket 2024
« Last post by Wowbagger on Today at 05:43:59 pm »
Not Much Happening Elsewhere drew my attention to the Yorkshire v Glamorgan match. Yorkshire notched up a massive first innings total thanks largely to the Vegetables. Bean scored 173 and Root 156. In the end the rain came and assisted Glamorgan's rearguard action, which had probably done enough to ensure a draw anyway.

Joe Root's brother Billy plays for Glamorgan. I do hope they have a sister named Beatrice.
Audax / Re: e-brevet ride missing from my rides results
« Last post by Lightning Phil on Today at 05:37:42 pm »
Post 2 covered it. First port of call is organiser to find out how it was missed, or something additional they were expecting from you.

You can see all your uploaded e-brevets and timings, and the organiser can see all uploaded e-brevets for their events with timings for each finisher. I change e-brevet status from pending to approved / not approved once I’ve done the admin for that rider on my finish list. Then I can filter all ebrevets across my events by pending status for ones left to process.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10