Author Topic: York cyclist rescued.  (Read 2057 times)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
York cyclist rescued.
« on: 06 January, 2010, 05:29:31 pm »
Sounds like a good job that there was a  good samaritan passing by...

Injured cyclist Sarah Archdale rescued from snow in Bramley Garth, Burnholme (From York Press)

nicknack

• Hornblower
Re: York cyclist rescued.
« Reply #1 on: 06 January, 2010, 05:44:42 pm »
Whoo! Shades of Yehuda Moon.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #2 on: 06 January, 2010, 05:47:32 pm »
Whoo! Shades of Yehuda Moon.

That's what I was thinking.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #3 on: 06 January, 2010, 06:30:45 pm »
... The red rear light of Sarah Archdale’s bicycle was the only clue that she lay injured ...

Another justification for my stupidly bright Laser of Death Dinotte rear light.
Actually, it is rocket science.

John Henry

« Reply #4 on: 06 January, 2010, 06:37:23 pm »
Why do I always read the comments after these articles? Why? I know they're only going to make me despair for the human race. I should know better by now.  :facepalm:

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5 on: 06 January, 2010, 06:46:30 pm »
Yerbbut, this is a good one:

"I saw an Audi TT go past me at speed on the A64, seems (s)he didn't think the snow affected rich people.

A few miles later I saw the same Audi in a hedge, its seem snow does affect rich people too.

I should have stopped to see if (s)he needed help but I just laughed and kept on driving!
"
It is simpler than it looks.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #6 on: 06 January, 2010, 06:59:39 pm »
I didn't notice the comments before - I read the headline in the paper in the corner shop and came home and googled it.  There's some dimwits out there, isn't there?  I also though of Yehuda when I saw it. 

I got up this morning, and considered cycling.  This would have been around the time all this was happening.  I think it was the right decision for me to get the bus, but I saw plenty of people out on their bikes including one chap in shorts  :o

4 different people felt the need to ask me if I'd ridden, and had I seen the news about this lady though...

« Reply #7 on: 06 January, 2010, 07:57:10 pm »
There's quite a bit of snow in York - the lady in Burnholme was very unlucky to have been knocked unconscious, tho'.

I've now pushed 2 BMWs out onto the road - neither could move. You could hear the traction control cutting the power in and out to the wheels, absolutely hopeless.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Zoidburg

« Reply #8 on: 06 January, 2010, 07:59:57 pm »
They ain't dead until they are warm and dead.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #9 on: 06 January, 2010, 08:07:39 pm »
There's quite a bit of snow in York - the lady in Burnholme was very unlucky to have been knocked unconscious, tho'.

I've now pushed 2 BMWs out onto the road - neither could move. You could hear the traction control cutting the power in and out to the wheels, absolutely hopeless.

repent,save thy soul
 ;D

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #10 on: 06 January, 2010, 10:16:50 pm »
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

« Reply #11 on: 06 January, 2010, 10:51:44 pm »

repent,save thy soul
 ;D

yebbut one was outside the kid's bedroom window and had been revving his engine trying to move for 30 minutes - at midnight.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #12 on: 07 January, 2010, 10:33:32 am »
Why do I always read the comments after these articles? Why? I know they're only going to make me despair for the human race. I should know better by now.  :facepalm:

Tell yourself to look for the positives. There were lots of nice/sensible comments in there e.g.

I also know this lady. She may have to travel only a 5 minute by cycle between clients in her care worker role so it is essential she uses her bike. She did not ask for all this publicity it came to her, so get off your high horses and show some compassion for those less fortunate than yourselves. At least she is still making an effort to work during the bad weather.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #13 on: 07 January, 2010, 02:56:24 pm »
My aunt and uncle live in that street.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.