Author Topic: Converting the 2007 Dahon MU P8 to single speed  (Read 2391 times)

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
Converting the 2007 Dahon MU P8 to single speed
« on: 18 October, 2009, 09:11:08 pm »
I have discovered that the 2007 Dahon MU P8 can be very easily converted to single speed.  

The dropouts on th MU P8 are slightly forward facing and the rear triangle is ready for a magic gear using a 3/32" 16tooth sprocket and the (supplied) 52 tooth chainring.  I fitted a BMX rear wheel which I respaced to fit between the Dahon's rear dropouts.  The nutted axle means there there is no longer a QR handle to avoid when you fold it.  With the derailleur, cable and grip shifter removed the bike is light and the folded package does not have a vulnerable derailleur on the outside.  

The original 8 speed cassette had a 5th gear of 18tooth and a 6th gear of 15tooth.  I found myself settling on 6th most of the time.  The 16tooth BMX sprocket will give roughly the same speed.  Chainline is good.  Hill climbing capability may suffer, we'll see.

So, I now have a 'Hon Solo' equivalent plus all the parts to convert to 8 speed.  
A recommended modification.

Si

Re: Converting the 2007 Dahon MU P8 to single speed
« Reply #1 on: 19 October, 2009, 10:30:59 am »
I converted an airnimal chameleon to SS ages ago (using a tensioner cus it has socket dropouts).  I have to say that it benefited greatly from the conversion - dunno why 'cos it rode fine before, but as an SS it was great.  Felt really light and fast, didn't give any trouble with suspension bob as I thought that it might.  Great until the frame developed a brand new pivot where it didn't ought to have one.

Thought of doing it to my Birdy, but with all the suspension bounce I can't see it being much of a joy to ride with only one gear, plus it's not URT so would still need a mech.

border-rider

Re: Converting the 2007 Dahon MU P8 to single speed
« Reply #2 on: 19 October, 2009, 10:35:23 am »
I SS'd my old 3-speed Brommie and it was a huge improvement - it's lighter to lug around and goes a lot better on the road.